Timing Belt: Cam Sprocket Not Locked But at DTC

RogueVW

TDI
mk7
Hello

I am doing the timing belt on my mk7 CRUA. I watched a video where a guy changed the timing belt without loosening the camshaft sprocket and the HPF. He made it look so easy. :) I tried the same and could not get the new belt on.

Reverting back to the manual which says to loosen the cam sprocket belt to get some play to reinstall the belt. The manual does this with the belt on the sprockets, but my belt was already off. The manual says first loosen the carrier bolt, then the main nut. When loosening the main nut, I removed the pin like the instructions said and once cracked with a counterhold, the pin would not go back in because the carrier bolt window dropped to the bottom of the window. I can't seem to adjust the positioning of the window while the sprocket is on the engine.

Is it safe to remove the cam sprocket, set the window back to the center and then reinstall in the exact same position?

If not, does someone have a better recommendation for me?

Thanks
Jonathan

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
A pic would help understanding what you are saying.
And yes, if you didn't bend anything, you can take the sprocket off and put back, but you shouldn't have to do that.

also, if you are using the exact same belt, you should have been able to put on the new belt easily. not sure what the problem is, you loosen the tensioner right?

RogueVW

TDI
mk7
Thanks for your reply ticaf.

I am changing the timing belt and the new belt was too tight to fit without allowing the sprockets to rotate.

Here is a picture of the issue on the cam sprocket: Picture

Here is what I did:
1. Set engine at TDC.
2. Locked cam shaft, HPFP and crank shaft
3. Removed tensioner
4. Removed the old timing belt
5. Installed new idlers and tensioner.
6. Tried to install new belt without loosening cam and HPFP but belt was too tight.
7. Went back to manual and following instructions, removed cam locking pin and loosened carrier bolt 1/2 turn.
8. Checked that pin still fit into cam shaft.
9. Removed pin from cam shaft
10. Using counter hold, loosened cam shaft sprocket.
11. Tried to reinstall pin in cam shaft but could not as the carrier bolt shifted to the bottom of the window blocking the hole in the head.
12. Tried to push the carrier bolt and guide up but could not.

My goal is to reinsert the pin without messing up the cam shaft position at TDC. I would think with the loosened carrier bolt, I could move the guide up. Since I cannot move the guide and carrier bolt up, I thought I would remove the sprocket but concerned about messing things up.

I don't think I bent anything.

Thanks again
Jonathan

RogueVW

TDI
mk7
The pin hole is above the carrier window right now. If I rotate CCW, the pin hole will be further above the carrier window. Can I rotate CW?

Thanks again for your help.

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
OK, I see your problem. The camshaft carrier is no longer aligned with the hole, right ?
Then just tighten the sprocket center bolt just enough so you can rotate the camshaft carrier back to the right place, then put the pin in and leave it there.

RogueVW

TDI
mk7
Thanks. So, if I use the counter hold and tighten the sprocket center bolt, the carrier window should rotate back into the center? Then I just stop when I can get the pin back in?

RogueVW

TDI
mk7
Thanks for your help. I got the cam sprocket locked back in place. Having an issue with the HPFP and will enter a new post on that.

Jonathan