Timing belt broke before scheduled replacement mileage. Fight for warranty, or SOL?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I'd be all over one if it was made available to me at a reasonable price..... but I'm also one of those suckers who would go to war with the dealership over them honoring the dieselgate warranty.
Dealers don't pay for warranty work, VWoA pays for warranty work, make sure you pick your fights, if you loose cred with the dealer they won't help you in the fight with VWoA.

TurboABA

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
You misunderstood my statement..... I know the stealership doesn't pay... the only time they "fight" customers on repairs is when they are too dumb to understand that it is covered under the AEM warranty, so they attempt to get the owner to pony up for the costs. They also love to have owners pay for stuff that's covered, since I suspect that there's some loophole that allows them to "double dip"..... or maybe it's just easier for them "clerically".

Lastly, they will never help me fight with VWoA

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
You misunderstood my statement..... I know the stealership doesn't pay... the only time they "fight" customers on repairs is when they are too dumb to understand that it is covered under the AEM warranty, so they attempt to get the owner to pony up for the costs. They also love to have owners pay for stuff that's covered, since I suspect that there's some loophole that allows them to "double dip"..... or maybe it's just easier for them "clerically".

Lastly, they will never help me fight with VWoA
I think the shop time is not as lucrative on warranty work. Plus, the dealerships have a rating on how much warranty work they incur. It's an incentive to not push things to warranty.

TurboABA

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Sure, I can see how all those things factor into the equation.... at the end of the day, it's still a biz and they want to make profits.... if experience tells them that they can barely break even on certain warranty jobs due to time restraints or warranty allotments, etc. they will obviously avoid taking on that work. When it's on the customer's wallet, they can easily add some stuff in there to con them out of more coin to cover any unforeseen\extra expenses ensuring that they make a profit.

Why else would most of them charge 1hr diagnostic fee when even our crappy enthusiast tools take less than 10min to do a complete scan on any of these vehicles "while taking out time".

ploverfield

TDI
Golf 2015
Just got a call from the dealer - VWoA told them to replace my engine. Woot!
The engines are on backorder, natürlich, and thew should know the ETA on Monday.
Hello - I am currently dealing with what sounds like a very similar situation in my 2015 Golf with a CRUA engine code. The timing belt broke and the timing skipped and there is catastrophic engine damage. The VWoA customer service advocate has also escalated my case to a regional service adviser but the advocate wasn’t guaranteeing anything and insisted that the timing belt (and leaking water pump) wasn’t covered by the warranty, including the long block train side of the warranty. Do you know what info you gave them or what made them ultimately decide to cover engine repair? Thanks very much!

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H
I see that as at least 7 years, as 84 months. Was that the original belt? What is the warranty duration, months and miles? What is the specified belt change interval, months and miles?
Is the water pump driven by the timing belt in the CRUA? If the determination is that a timing belt driven water pump failed, and that pump failure was what caused the timing belt to break, then you may be S.O.L. under an 'incidental or consequential' clause.
The pump might be covered, but the other stuff that was damaged as a consequence of the pump failing might not be.

Last edited:

nick_va

TDI
2015 SportWagen
Hello - I am currently dealing with what sounds like a very similar situation in my 2015 Golf with a CRUA engine code. The timing belt broke and the timing skipped and there is catastrophic engine damage. The VWoA customer service advocate has also escalated my case to a regional service adviser but the advocate wasn’t guaranteeing anything and insisted that the timing belt (and leaking water pump) wasn’t covered by the warranty, including the long block train side of the warranty. Do you know what info you gave them or what made them ultimately decide to cover engine repair? Thanks very much!
If the car falls under Dieselgate, two key points to argue, IMO are:

1) (quoting TurboABA) Valve train means all components required for it to function.... not just the camshafts and valves, but the TB linking the crank to the cam and allowing the valves to "function\operate".
and
2) "All disputes should be resolved in the favor of the customer" (settlement warranty wording)

I basically stated these two things, then my case was escalated and later resolved satisfactorily (not mentioning two follow-up visits to address dead battery they dropped in the car along wit the new engine)

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
If the car falls under Dieselgate, two key points to argue, IMO are:

1) (quoting TurboABA) Valve train means all components required for it to function.... not just the camshafts and valves, but the TB linking the crank to the cam and allowing the valves to "function\operate".
and
2) "All disputes should be resolved in the favor of the customer" (settlement warranty wording)

I basically stated these two things, then my case was escalated and later resolved satisfactorily (not mentioning two follow-up visits to address dead battery they dropped in the car along wit the new engine)
What happened to your oil level, CEL, and battery issue after the engine was replaced?