Timing belt broke before scheduled replacement mileage. Fight for warranty, or SOL?

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
P.S.
I'll wait patiently for my "royalty" transfer once all this is over and I saved you $10k..... you can just buy me a couple of filters or something from IDParts and ship directly :ROFLMAO:

nick_va

TDI
2015 SportWagen
@TurboABA - thanks! I did call VW customer service, and my case has been escalated to regional case manager. And I've got a call from the advisor saying that "the factory" wants them to take off the head and assess the damage. So looks like the things are moving. I haven't had a chance to argue my case in front of anyone, but feel more prepared to do so if necessary.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The same document mentioned above, also lists this

3.31 MEDIATION/ARBITRATION PROGRAMS/SPECIAL EXTENSIONS UNITED STATES BBB MEDIATION/ARBITRATION PROGRAM
The BBB AUTO LINE program offers two approaches to dispute resolution:
Mediation is a process by which an impartial person employed by the BBB makes recommendations to the parties for a satisfactory resolution. Customers do not have to participate in mediation if they would rather proceed immediately to arbitration.
Arbitration is the process by which an impartial person makes a decision on the customer's complaint. The arbitrators are not connected with the automobile industry and serve on a voluntary basis.
Customers wishing to utilize the mediation and arbitration services offered (free of charge to the customer) by BBB AUTO LINE should call 1-800-955-5100.
Hopefully you don't have to get there, but you still have "options".

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Traditionally, VAG never sold diesel "longblocks", just the gassers got those. Diesels were only sold as "shortblocks" with a head gasket, and the head was a separate part.

However, the CRUA does indeed show a longblock assembly available.... however, it does NOT come with a timing belt... which is the same as the gasser longblocks were sold. ETKA lists out specifically what all it includes.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
What about the clause, all disputes shall be settled in favor of the customer? My leaking water pump is being replaced today along with the soaked tb. The wp's are known to suck, and probably started leaking on the tb some time ago. I just got lucky mine failed at 41k. The argument is the pumps are a well known defective item and should have been recalled because of the damage they cn cause. they should last at least the tb interval when you would normally replace it.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, in my view, that also provides a "lot of ammo" for anyone arguing

The extended emissions warranty includes parts, labor, and applicable taxes. The extended emissions warranty shall not void or supersede any existing warranty. Conflicts concerning the warranty are to be resolved in favor of the consumer

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The CRUA would probably be a pretty decent engine if the water pumps weren't turning so many into boat anchors.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I think we just heard of the latest one to bite the dust. Maybe that level of destruction isn't super common , but pump failures seem to pop up quite regularly. Overheating is never a good thing, even when it doesn't cause immediate catastrophic failure.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The variable output pumps are an issue on a lot of vehicles. Another concession to emissions. I can't imagine the impact is that great, either.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
This is a wonderful philosophical discussion.

I myself hope the OP gets VW to cover the carnage... on whatever technicality he can.

That said kids - change your f'ng timing belts! They wear out in time as much as mileage. Given the OP's reason for starting this thread, anyone feel comfortable taking their timing belt to the max interval?

nick_va

TDI
2015 SportWagen
This is a wonderful philosophical discussion.

I myself hope the OP gets VW to cover the carnage... on whatever technicality he can.

That said kids - change your f'ng timing belts! They wear out in time as much as mileage. Given the OP's reason for starting this thread, anyone feel comfortable taking their timing belt to the max interval?
Well, this one had 15K to go until max interval, and not all that old - just under 6 years. But yeah, if you are taking the car in for a major service at over 100K, you might as well replace the belt and the pump.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I feel like a lot of these pumps fail prematurely because many of these cars sat unused for quite a while. And that seems to be a common trend with a lot of things, not just water pumps, and not just on TDIs.

However, I stand by my feeling that you are really hanging your bag out in the wind if you are depending on some sort of warranty from a German carmaker, ESPECIALLY Volkswagen. I'm glad I've never needed one, and never will.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
The warranty covers alot. Its not just emission systems. Ive heard of cases where, in this case passats, that have had an engine and it was covered by the warranty and an emissions component DID NOT cause failure. It was a faulty turbo that cause damaged to the engine drinking too much oil and locking up. Another case is where I heard a tech replace piston rings under the warranty.

nick_va

TDI
2015 SportWagen
Got a call this morning - "your car is ready". I went to pick it up, looks like they really did put in a new engine. It runs well. All covered by warranty, I only had to pay for state inspection. So it took them just over 3 weeks from the moment VW agreed to do it under warranty. I did request a loaner, this might have played a role :)

Thanks for encouragement and support!

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I wonder how many suckers are gonna buy those low mileage '15 TDI's that are hitting market now that are 6+ years old with the factory timing belt that probably isn't getting replaced before being sold...

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wonder how many suckers are gonna buy those low mileage '15 TDI's that are hitting market now that are 6+ years old with the factory timing belt that probably isn't getting replaced before being sold...
I'd be all over one if it was made available to me at a reasonable price..... but I'm also one of those suckers who would go to war with the dealership over them honoring the dieselgate warranty.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Got a call this morning - "your car is ready". I went to pick it up, looks like they really did put in a new engine. It runs well. All covered by warranty, I only had to pay for state inspection. So it took them just over 3 weeks from the moment VW agreed to do it under warranty. I did request a loaner, this might have played a role :)

Thanks for encouragement and support!
Great to hear! Well done!

MB2VW

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL,
AWESOME!

Congratulations!

As my 2015 Passat hit 124,400 today and after reading this thread... I'm putting idparts order in first thing tomorrow!

nick_va

TDI
2015 SportWagen
I don't know the root cause, could be either belt or water pump. Make sure to check the pump operation when replacing the belt.

nick_va

TDI
2015 SportWagen
One month in...

Initially it was running great, no issues. Couple of weeks after the replacement I started getting intermittent errors "Reduce oil level". Took it to the dealer, but the error was gone that day. The new VW battery that they put in for some reason (without making a note of it) started going flat overnight. I'll see if there some parasitic discharge going on. The car goes back to dealer this Friday to address these and a Check Engine light (probably related to the battery - don't have code scanner at home).

On a positive side, my teenage daughter now appreciates that car ownership has its costs, and knows how to jump-start it if necessary.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
These cars have a sensor for too much oil as well as too little. Just like Goldilocks it needs to be just right. There is a middle area you need to hit. Have the dealer remove some oil or redo the oil change and use the correct amount.