Timing belt @143k with stage 2 tune @100k

2012jsw

TDI
2012 jsw, 2010 jsw
So obviously nobody suggests going over any factory scheduled maintenance especially on something like the timing belt. I was (company truck now) daily driving it 1k miles a week and didn’t have the time to do it over the weekends and possibly have the car down and not make it to work and that’s why it’s overdue. I’m generally pretty religious with maintenance. I just wanted to put out what I found or ran into while doing mine. Vehicle has 143k miles and has been on a stage 2 tune since 100k. DSG trans
I don’t baby it, but I will add that 99% of the miles from 90k-143k were all freeway. The car saw wide open runs into maintained triple digits at least once a week, not a brag, just adding to the “I don’t baby it” statement

I used the superb write up and picture tutorial that I believe came from greengeeker (if I’m wrong, sorry!!!) here on tdiclub, without that I would have been lost! Great write up, very detailed, the pics help a ton and so do the torque specs and TTYdegrees.

There were a few variances that I ran across while doing mine that were different from the write up. Mostly tool differences and “adapting” when things didn’t work

The tool that was used in the tutorial for the timing belt tensioner doesn’t come in the timing belt “special tools” kit
So I used a metric 6mm Allen on a 3/8 drive and a 15mm wrench to set and tighten the tensioner. You will also notice what looks like a drill bit to lock the tensioner, it is indeed a drill bit, a short 1/8 drill bit. I used it instead of the tensioner lock pin because the plastic “washer” (reddish orange plastic) on my tensioner wouldn’t allow the size of the pin to fit in.

Old factory timing belt after removal with VW logo and contitech. Honestly the belt looked like it could have handled another 100k miles. There was zero cracking or dryness to the belt. No signs of heavy wear or stress that showed fatigue

What I believe is also the factory serpentine belt. It wasn’t looking as healthy. It had cracks and some pieces of rubber missing, it was def way overdue.

Don’t forget the Vw zxn?? Sockets, if you don’t have them, you’ll need them about 10 min into the job, so buy them before you start, oh and the special crank bolt socket!!

Those were the only changes/differences that I came across while doing the timing belt. Overall it wasnt that bad If you have a decent array of tools and know how.

MikeH31324

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2 door 6MT
I have just over 90k on my 2012 and can’t decide when I want to change it. I have all the parts, tools and even a CP3 to install while I’m in there. I bought the parts when I got the car a little over three years ago because I was concerned about timing belt deterioration due to age. But the more I started reading about doing the replacement, the less concerned I became about the belt failing. It seems the timing belt on the 2.0 CR engines last a long time.

you mentioned a special socket for the crankshaft. I wasn’t aware that a special socket was require. Do you have a link to the socket you purchased?

2012jsw

TDI
2012 jsw, 2010 jsw
I have just over 90k on my 2012 and can’t decide when I want to change it. I have all the parts, tools and even a CP3 to install while I’m in there. I bought the parts when I got the car a little over three years ago because I was concerned about timing belt deterioration due to age. But the more I started reading about doing the replacement, the less concerned I became about the belt failing. It seems the timing belt on the 2.0 CR engines last a long time.

you mentioned a special socket for the crankshaft. I wasn’t aware that a special socket was require. Do you have a link to the socket you purchased?
It’s a 19mm 12point socket, not really all that special, it’s just an “add on” tool when you buy the specialty tools from idparts

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
so what was your total time investment?
i'm kinda on the fence on doing this job myself because of the same reasons as you.
my belt is @ 135k and i'm not worried about in the least, but obviously i should get it done soon one way (myself) or the other (shop).

thatwhitejsw

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 JSW TDI

I ended up doing mine about 5k miles ago around 100k miles. Mainly just due to the age and I didn't want to chance it in any way. Cheaper to replace a belt than dealing with the consequences of not. I'd definitely like to do the CP3 upgrade though as that's another worry of mine.