Time to Upgrade to a Passat??

NC TDIpilot

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 5M, Group 0
Greetings all...

I am just about to roll over 250k on my 06 Jetta TDI and am looking hard at the used Passat TDI market. The 06 still runs and drives well with no issues to speak of, but when I see a 2014 Passat TDI with 56k miles for 9k, I have to consider it.

What have been your experiences and would you recommend one or steer clear?

Thanks,

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Do your reading. I ended up going with a 2015 (both Passat and GWS) because of the tweaks to the engine...different injectors, lower rail pressure, less prone to intercooler icing, less prone to turbo failure.

Again, information is power, and opinions abound, so read read and you'll get your answer.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
I do have to say, no car is perfect. I love the size and handling of my GSW, but it could be better with independent rear suspension. The GSW comes with more bells and whistles from the MQB platform, but it also makes life very hard with this Component Protection silliness.

The Passat NMS is a boat of a car compared to my 2004 Jetta wagon, I also used to own a 2006 Jetta which was a very solid ride (with suspension improvements). I have improved bushings waiting for me to install in the Passat, hopefully that will firm up the ride a bit more, but I would eventually like to gain 1-2 inches in height and firmer dampers. The trunk is huge, but the lid feels flimsy. I don't love the steering wheel, the GSW has a better one (flat bottom, feels slightly less chunky, perhaps the actual thickness of the wheel is less).

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
I like my '13, especially its handling on the highway, throttle response, and fuel efficiency and it is low miles (36K). But I worry about repair costs when the extended emissions warranty is up. (major $$$$). If I were the OP I would only consider one of these models with very low miles, say well under 50K, especially if the plan is to hold onto it a long time. And one that was serviced on schedule since new.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I love my ‘14 sel premium, no regrets at all. Purchased at 50k 3 years ago, i now have 90k. In the first 10,000 miles - under warranty - replaced the heater core, water pump and timing belt (water pump leaked coolant all over the timing and serpentine belts), and injector seals. Since 59,000 miles, just normal maintenance.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Btw, if you are going to buy one, do it asap, vw has sold all the dieselgate cars. I have connections at a local dealer, the last one they bought was 6 weeks ago and there are none left on their lot.

Clayslayer

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta and a 1977 Ford F-150 with a 4BT Cummins
250K miles? Thems rookie numbers son. My '02 has 416K on it right now and is still going strong. I told myself that I'd drive it until it died when I bought it over a decade ago. It. just. won't. die. Then again I maintain it religiously and love it to bits.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Lower the miles the better, local dealer has a 2013 with about 12k miles. However I do like my 2015 a bit more than my 2013 I sold back to vw. it cost me 1100 to go from a 60k 213 sel to a new 2015 sel so actually I had total cost was 17k i paid for the 2o13 plus 1100. just don't buy one with the cornsilk interior like my black 2013.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Higher millage doesn't scare me, but then again I do my own wrenching. Actually the dieselgate warranty is nice for stuff like the HPFP issue, or some other major thing, but for smaller things it actually gets in my way.

My 2015 GSW has a longish cranking, which I'm sure it'll be nearly impossible to prove to VW that should be covered by warranty....so, eventually I'll just buy the parts (which I think is a weak lift pump) and do my thing.

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
I have a 2013 SEL with 111,xxx miles. I still have about 3yrs and 12,000 miles left on my extended emissions warranty and they have recently completed the adblue heater recall, glow plug and injector, all covered under the warranty. My dealer has commented that the extended warranty covers a lot. I would also support a higher mileage car, especially if you know how much warranty you have left.

After my injector replacement, I feel like the car runs just as good as new. I have had a few various diesels and I feel like 100K+ miles is when they really start to break in well. I plan on keeping my car until one of us dies.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium
I have a 2014 Passat TDI SEL, it is above to roll over 100,000 miles. I have maintained it myself exclusively from 30,000 miles since "free maintenance" period. Car has been an enjoyment to drive. Very spacious. I think the TDI Emissions Fix made it a little less efficient and more rattly, but I am contemplating getting Kerma TDI, which will restore it to former glory.

Here are the issues:
During 32000 mile warranty period, the car has been take to dealer for minor rattles (which they fixed), the SCR heater module malfunctioned - which they replaced (and is now extended to 120K miles after emissions fix). Also, heater core clogged during warranty and was replaced, but by the same model ending in "A", which I was not happy about, since at a time replacement version was a "B"

Out of warranty: my oxygen sensor failed - which was a very easy and cheap replacement that I did myself. And version A heater core replacement clogged again, which I replaced myself with "C" version at the moment. Easy replacement, took me about 3 hours including 3 flushes of coolant. Just watch your coolant, once it changes from pretty pink to brownish, flush it asap before it start clogging the core. Beauty of modern "eco friendly" coolants.

Other than that, knock on wood, no issues.