Time to move on - thanks for everything!

mparker326

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2002 Gray
Fellows:

I sold my Passat wagon today. A third kid due in a couple months sealed the deal for me. Passat went to a family in my neighborhood that wanted an upgrade from their high mileage Jetta TDI wagon. They know about the potential for the B/S issue and have some money set aside in case they need it before the timing belt service.

Thanks to VW for 4 years of trouble free ownership. Only issues I had were 2 bad glow plugs handled under warranty and a rodent that got happy & chewed up a couple sensor wires. I think VW gets a bad rap for things that could happen vs. things that actually happen.

I'd buy a VW minivan now if it wasn't a rebadged Town & Country.

Thanks for all the help & banter over the years! Drive more/worry less/enjoy your B5's!

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Finally,
A positive exit review.
What will this group yap about now?
Oh yeah, how about that other flaming thread that I've ignored.
Good luck mparker...

CsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 TouaregTDI, '15 JettaTDI
good luck mparker. The B5 is a great vehicle although nothing is problem free. Some have better luck with it than others- for at least awhile. Compared to the number and severity of issues that I experienced early on with my 01Jetta, I feel like I am driving the B5 on borrowed time. Glad it performed admirably under your watch

Last edited:

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
We really like the Passat. I plan on keeping it for 20+ years (thats about 160k at our rate of use).

However, it seems like you escaped (and maybe in time!). You would have had to deal with the BS/OP if you kept it.

Our failures have been a turbocharger, the tandem fuel pump and a burned out connector on a headlamp.

I had them pull a glow plug to prove it was no warranty, and the replaced them under warranty as the one they pulled had a spiral grove burned in it. Basically I had it found before it broke up (and the damage that could have ensued).

That's a pretty miserable reliability record, for a wondefull car.

While the mechanic at the dealer seems to be good, the service manager was a total idiot who jumped up and down insisting there was no such thing as a ceramic glow plug in ANY VW, let alone a need to replace them and a re-flash (this was just before the official recall)

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
Yes, it is amazing what "facts" become firmly lodged in the minds of those who have never studied the available information....

spiceredwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
06 wagon
I'd buy a VW minivan now if it wasn't a rebadged Town & Country.
Chrysler delivers the best bang for your buck if you want a mini van, so the WV bagged one should be very good. Too bad there is no diesel option.

mparker326

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2002 Gray
aja8888 said:
Stop by from time to time and let us in on what you replaced it with.

Tony
The replacement is a 2006 Toyota Sienna. This is my first Japanese vehicle. I'm curious if they live up to the hype.

Last edited:

mparker326

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2002 Gray
DickSilver said:
Yes, it is amazing what "facts" become firmly lodged in the minds of those who have never studied the available information....
I can only report my experience which was positive.

If VW lets you down, be happy that MoGolf & Oilhammer can pick you back up.

Route 66

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW
Glad to see you found a vehicle to serve your needs. I peddled my Passat back in July and bought a 2001 BMW 740i.

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
Who got the beautiful blue wagon? I wanted it but I just couldn't afford it when you sold it.

BioPassat

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW Passat GL TDI
Route 66 said:
The car returns 28 M.P.G.
I get 27-29mpg in my Lincoln LS V8 3.9L depending on fuel blend/quality. 28mpg in that BMW must be challenging to get. I get 26.5mpg going 80mph with the A/C on will the wife and the baby in the car. I can go 500 miles on 18.5 US gal of PUG.

Route 66

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW
A young couple from St. Paul with a child bought it. They were impressed with the condition of the car with a 118k.

vwtom

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE
DickSilver said:
I love this quote!!! Is it an original?