Time to "End of Life" my '03 Golf TDI?

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
Update: Needed space in the shop (it's only 23' wide and 27' deep) so I put it back together. Brakes seem spongier than before I started, but get's firm about half way down. That leads me to suspect that one side of the dual diagonal brake system is the problem, I keep getting baby bubbles out of the right rear and the left front bleeder screw busted off so I can't bleed it, so it's probably that pair. It will brake heard enough to activate the ABS, so something is working. I'm dickering on a new Transit Connect so between that and the Golf 7 TDI, I may not need the Golf 4 TDI anymore. But I hate to leave it only half fixed, maybe I'll luck out and one of the parts vendors will have a good sale and I'll buy the brake parts to finish the job...

rwthomas1

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta
A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. In the case of old cars, that usually ain't much. I look at things in an entirely different light. When they aren't worth much, I judge them by what it will cost to replace them. How many car payments would the repair pay for? My breakpoint is right around $2K per year, on average, that I am willing to put into a car in maintenance. Some years are higher, some are lower, but usually its much less than $2K. I just spent a ton having the HVAC box redone on my Jetta. So what? I can't replace the car for what I spent. If it goes another year, then its money well spent.

Additionally, have a look at NH Oil Undercoating product. I have tried quite a few products, and the NH Oil Undercoating product works better than anything I can find here in New England where we definitely salt the roads plenty. Use it on plow trucks, work trucks, etc. it stops the rust. Period. I pull the wheelwell liners and spray behind there every Fall. Not connected to the company in any way, just a satisfied customer.
RT

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
So I can understand the problems of the rust belt. Do you take any proactive steps to mitigate the inevitable?,
like a couple spray cans of Fluid Film, now is the season for application.
And while you have experience with a corporate cost/benefit analysis, is that really applicable to non commercial
individual usage? Cost and availaility of parts, and ease of repair are important factors in my analysis.
Simple is good, it's usually more fixable.

Sure, the "new & improved" models are nice. But do you really need radio controls on your steering wheel?
In dash nav screens? I still carry a Mcnally road atlas, and it is still a useful navigation aid. Now I might have to
pull into a rest area to use it, but that's ok, distracted driving these days is an all to common accident phenomena.

Who needs Finance if you own it? Nicklockard and his approach is a low key sustainable strategy, especially if you
have a bit of space and a workshop and accumulated some tools, and the knowledge to use them. Why work to pay someone else to do the work you can do yourself?

My wooden $.05.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
At some point along with rust, tendinitis and arthritis get factored in also. Car aren’t the only bodies that get old 😉

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
jmodge,
Lol, I feel your pain. Which is why I'm happy to pay my guru for some stuff that I could do, but don't want to.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Rob,
Haven't seen WoolWax, but like Fluid Film, it's probably lanolin based, the sheep's answer to waterproofing their coats.
Lol, add a tad to lead bullet lube, leaves your barrel nice and clean. Available in some pharmacies as a nipple lubricant/
protectorant for breast feeding. Commonly used in hand creams as well. Thin it with some mineral turps and the stuff
really does penetrate rust, and in my experience, does slow oxidation. The miracle of millions of years of evolution and organic chemistry, extraordinary what Mother Nature has come up with.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
At some point along with rust, tendinitis and arthritis get factored in also. Car aren’t the only bodies that get old 😉
I'm feelin' all of the above today after a couple days of re-arranging the garage. Garage is 23' wide and 27" long, but I've got 3 of those monster Costco industrial style steel "rack" shelving units on one side and 2 one the other, cutting the usable width down to 19'. I'd like to turn it into more of a shop than a garage, with enough width for two cars side by side and working room so I can work on a long term project like the Ranger or classic Mini in one stall and have the other stall open for quick repairs or to get the new car in during bad weather. So far I've gotten 2 of the racks on one side out so I've got 21' of width to work with and moved another rack to the back where it will be out of the way and home to all the commonly used lubricants, etc.. Tried to put in a full day today but knocked off about 4pm, was hurting too much to bend over or lift anything heavy.

S'posed to be nice weather (cold and clear) tomorrow, so maybe I'll make a grocery and Menards run. Probably should take the long way home, supposed to snow on Saturday so I can (maybe) finish the garage then...

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I’v Been contemplating getting rid of my tools and putting a nine foot pool table in my garage along with a big refrigerator. Maybe a couple hammocks. Not easy interrupting a lifelong passion though I would need a good, inexpensive mechanic who can move and setup pool tables

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
Old ways die hard... Was raised in a blue collar working class family, fixed stuff ourselves, worked hard, and saved every cent we could. Even when I don't need to, fixing stuff myself is a matter of personal pride. So here I sit, a creaky 70 years old, still driving diesels and doing my own maintenance when I could buy any car in a VW showroom cash and wasting lots of gas might help burn up that social security check they made me take. Live in a house I paid $40,000 cash for a decade ago, heat with wood and see no need to get a dishwasher either. Refrigerator came with the house and if that dies the 30+ year old one from my old house still works, same with the washing machines. My closet and dresser are dominated by decades old jeans, coats, and long underwear because they're warm and comfy, and still pissed that they made me buy a new digital TV a decade ago.

I tried to fit in, responding to a VW executive's admonishment that we cheapskate TDI drivers could afford Audis I tried to buy one. It was a disaster, once you know that Audis are mostly built outa VW parts the mythical Audi "experience" is ruined, no wonder most of the Audi salespeople won't talk to me anymore. They didn't like my expectation of at least 20% off of list, either... Heck, I was just trying to help them with their excess inventory during the pandemic shutdown. This while much of their alleged inventory was MIA, perhaps repo's by their flooring financer? Hey, I was just tryin' to help...

But I really do need to change, at the rate I'm scrounging by I'll be a millionaire by the time I die without even trying. So I really need to spend my money, 'specially 'cause my heirs shouldn't be trusted with cash. so let's see- Maybe I need to buy a warehouse, then fill it with stick shift cars, two stroke motorcycles, and a few big trucks with 2 stick transmissions. Heat the place with wood, and to make sure my heirs can find all their inheritance, put my will and instructions on an old 'nix computer with a command line interface...

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Changing the habits of a lifetime is hard. But don't succumb to all the pressures, some of the attitudes that got you to your present place of being are still, and will continue to be, valuable, and sustaining. The forces of conformity are not
easy to resist, independence of spirit, however lonely it may be at times, is worthwhile. Accept and revel in that freedom from the herd.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Now you're talkin'!

I found there was a big difference between 50's and 60's and heard there was an even larger difference between 60 and 70, thanks alot for confirming that!!!!

Dishwashers aren't so bad though, except when they talk back to you. I'm still trying to get mine to do floors. Oh well, she's still much lower maintenance than the newer models, and she refuses to drive an automatic.

As far as your car goes, no-one will give you jackcrap for it, just let the air out of the tires you won't need good brakes. maybe even take the rear tires off and weld skis one the rims.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Old ways die hard... Was raised in a blue collar working class family, fixed stuff ourselves, worked hard, and saved every cent we could. Even when I don't need to, fixing stuff myself is a matter of personal pride. So here I sit, a creaky 70 years old, still driving diesels and doing my own maintenance when I could buy any car in a VW showroom cash and wasting lots of gas might help burn up that social security check they made me take. Live in a house I paid $40,000 cash for a decade ago, heat with wood and see no need to get a dishwasher either. Refrigerator came with the house and if that dies the 30+ year old one from my old house still works, same with the washing machines. My closet and dresser are dominated by decades old jeans, coats, and long underwear because they're warm and comfy, and still pissed that they made me buy a new digital TV a decade ago.
Your sounding like me. ;)
The refrigerator that came with my summer house was made be International Harvester and still works. :)
I'm not replacing what works, no reason to.

My dresser at home (from my parents house attic) vintage 40's or so has the top drawer with 5 piles of t-shirts..
Armoire & bed also part of the set.
All like new.
You only have me beat by a few years.