Time for tires

PD Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
2004, 2015 Golf TDI
2015 golf sel came with the pirelli cinterato p7.

Looking for a few votes for new tires from the guys. Haven’t bought tires in a while..... mileage, performance, treadlife, etc. thanks!

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
I'll answer with what I run on my TDI's but will also point you to a resource I stumbled into that really blew me away and I now share a hand full of his videos when friends asking about tire stuff.

So first, I prefer, have always preferred, Continentals on my VW's. They are a great tire, carry great factory warranties and are LRR and have always lasted me through the mileage warranty period and are priced competitively. Currently, my MK6 Golf TDI and MK7 GSW have Conti PureContact LS on them in 17 and 18in flavors on my summer wheels and I love them. They are wearing great and I'm sure we'll enjoy every mile as this was the 3rd summer on the 17's and first full on the 18's.

Now, the resource I mention is the Tyre Review channel on YouTube. He has LOTS of relevant and full qualitative and quantitative reviews of tires but this one is where I'd point you for a great place to jump into for your Golf (he tests the Cinterato as well)

Good luck man, there's A LOT out there and opinions, well, you know what they say about those. :cool:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Everyone has an opinion: I don't like Continentals. They seem to last well, but I find their all seasons to be noisy and hard to balance. They used to make a great winter tire with the Extreme Winter Contact, but those are gone. If you're looking for an all-season tire at a reasonable price I think it's hard to do better than General Altimax RT43s. Adequately grippy, quiet, ride well, and last well. And not very expensive.

For winter tires, if you're really driving in snow I'd again with Generals, the Altimax Artic. If you drive more in wet and ice I'd suggest Michelin X-Ice 3s. But I've also found the RT43s aren't bad in the snow for an all-season.

mopower

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW
Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 are likely the top-rated tire in the all season segment for the SEL. I have the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and it is very good, it was the top-rated tire. Previously I have the Pilot Sport A/S 3 and it was also fantastic. Sticks well, drives smooth, and balances well. They don't last all that long at 45000 miles warranty rated. These would do everything the Pirelli's did, only better.

I don't know if you live in an area with winter weather needs but if you are looking for a single tire to run year-round there are All weather options like the Nokian WRG4 or Michelin CrossClimate.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
So many tire options out there and so many threads on this, in order to get what best suits you determine your needs and wants like performance vs longevity vs ride quality etc etc. No single tire will give you a "10" in every aspect so decide which is more important to you and choose a tire based on that criteria. For instance some people drive a lot of miles and tread life is their #1 priority so they choose a long tread life tire but in doing so they may compromise a bit of handling and ride quality. Some prefer performance handling so they will choose a softer, stickier tire which handles great but won't last so long. All season tires are also a compromise between a good winter tire and a good summer tire, they do each job OK but cannot possibly do as well as a dedicated winter design or a strictly summer tire at their respective duties.

In my case I wanted 1. A smooth, quiet ride 2. good handling performance and 3. decent all weather performance. Since I don't drive a ton of miles tread life is not that important to me because sometimes my tires age out before they wear out. I don't see much inclement weather so all seasons are fine for me for the rare occasion of rain or mountain snow. So I went with Michelin Premier A/S. Nice performance and stickiness on dry pavement, decent all weather design and fairly quiet. Not a super long tread life (although they claim 60K many reviewers report substantially less than that). I would rather enjoy a bit better ride and performance throughout the life of my tires than extra tread life, which in my case I will never use. The tire does not particularly excel at any one thing but is a nice compromise of all the things I wanted and needed based on my driving.

Tires are such a personal thing they are best chosen by you, because you know your needs and wants, and driving styles and conditions. The tire salesman can't possibly know all that about you when he recommends a tire, nor can a stranger on a forum, so go in knowing what you want based on research and your needs and wants.

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Everyone has an opinion: I don't like Continentals. They seem to last well, but I find their all seasons to be noisy
X2
Ill add they do last but for me that was they not only wore like iron but rode harsh and gripped like iron too. Toward the end of their service life I could never keep air pressure in the higher range. This was the same on 2 different vehicles and they were on only because they came with them. For the price a mega mile tire only went on my mega driven cars. The 2nd driven cars would age them out before wear out. Alot of peps don't think about that. And like the contis they can get old hard and dried out first on many cars

15TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Running Continentals. I find them to be noisy but have great grip and treadwear. I also run Continentals on my Z06 and find them to be a great tire in a higher performance setting. I gladly take on the noise over poor traction or poor wear.

I don't see the justification for PS4s on any TDI. There are better options when it comes to price and gains, ROI.

joyjoy22

TDI
2015 Volkswagen Beetle
You may want to check out Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06. It can withstand any road conditions, I've been running the whole year round without any problems.

PD Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
2004, 2015 Golf TDI
Thanks for everyone’s replies. Just wanted to see if there was a forum favorite.

My last pair of continentals served me well. I have a set of Michelin’s on my mk4 right now, and they are wearing very well.

The pirellis do well. They are a 70k mile tire. They didn’t last as advertised. In all fairness pirelli wants you to rotate every 3k miles which I have not done, however, I have rotated the tires at near 7500 mile intervals. The wear in not uneven or choppy. Just low all around well before their advertised treadlife expectancy.

Thanks guys

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Thanks for everyone’s replies. Just wanted to see if there was a forum favorite.

My last pair of continentals served me well. I have a set of Michelin’s on my mk4 right now, and they are wearing very well.

The pirellis do well. They are a 70k mile tire. They didn’t last as advertised. In all fairness pirelli wants you to rotate every 3k miles which I have not done, however, I have rotated the tires at near 7500 mile intervals. The wear in not uneven or choppy. Just low all around well before their advertised treadlife expectancy.

Thanks guys
Love these
I don’t think they make them in 17”

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
DWS06 currently on my wife's GTI. I ran them on another GTI as well. They will go my current Mk6 TDI in April. They are a great all round tire, even in light snow. I do run dedicated snows on the Volkswagens though.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
I refuse to pay more than $100/tire (Conti's, P7, many Michelins are out), but luckily selection below that mark is plentiful.

Got some General Gmax AS-05 for my wife's GSW and those tires are grippy good for the summer, and in rain. Never tried in snow, and never will.

Now, my Passat came with some Goodyear Assurance Weatherready, and they are not a bad tire actually. They're not enough for my liking thru the worst of the winter, but they handle well in light snow, perhaps a true all season for people not as far north.

For me, safety is first, I don't care if tires are noisy, don't last, etc. I want them to have the best possible handling dry and wet, and for the winter tires to have great handling in deep snow/ice/wet.

Last edited:

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
no competition for the Michelin Primacy or Premiers,, I even tried Defenders, and came back in 10 min,, Take em off. But you wont get 30K miles outta Premiers .

Longrange762

TDI
15 GSW SE
2015 golf sel came with the pirelli cinterato p7.

Looking for a few votes for new tires from the guys. Haven’t bought tires in a while..... mileage, performance, treadlife, etc. thanks!
When the time came to replace the tires on my GSW. I decided to go with the pirelli p7 plus. The factory continentals are good tires. They had 50000 when replaced. Probably could've went another 10-15 k but winter was approaching. The P7plus have been great tires with proper rotation and alignment running at 40 psi I've got 74K out of them and are only about half tread maybe a little less. They are the 94H with a 700 tread rating. 600 bucks otd.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Depending on where you live, makes a big difference in what will be best for you. Personally I can say the mich as3+ are the best tires I have ever driven on wet or dry.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Had two cars with Defenders, one set made in Canada and another US. While de Canadian set aged a little better, they both lost significant grip as they worn.

Defenders did last quite a bit, and grip when new was superb, but as they racked distance and years, grip when wet was the first to suffer, and then overall grip even in dry conditions.

Not all tires from the same manufacturer are created equal, even the same model.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I ended up getting General Altimax RT43's to replace the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422's that came on car new. I had good luck years ago when I put them on my B4. I was looking for a non-directional tire. I ended up paying $480 out the door for them. Handle good and quiet, tough to tell fuel mpg hit yet with colder weather upon us. I want to see if they handle snow well, if not,I'll put the Arctics on....

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
I'm pretty happy with some Yokohama Advan Sport A/S+ tires that I put on my Golf R for the winter. They're all season tires. Price was decent, and they seem to grip really well for cornering. Not noisy or anything.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I prefer Michelin tires myself.
Never had a problem with them.
I will never buy Firestone tires.
They hosed people twice with a bad line of tires.
My 99 Ranger Off Road pickup (bought new taking 6 weeks to get) came with one of the problem model tires but the wrong code and neither Firestone not Ford would do anything about it.
After I noticed all 4 tires were cracking around the rim I went back and they still wouldn't do anything.
Ford just said the trucks warranty was over. SOL!!
When Ford (iIrc) contacted me about covering the tires they indicated then must get the old tires back.
Tires were long gone.
Never again.

Dan Whitley

TDI
Volkswagen Audi 2.5 R5 TDI CR
"I prefer Michelin tires myself.
Never had a problem with them.
I will never buy Firestone tires.
They hosed people twice with a bad line of tires."
Yikes! I've already heard about Firestone tires being unimpressive, but I didn't know that they were that bad. Though I agree, Michelin tires are top-notch and a must-have. I bought my set from 4WheelOnline and I never had any complaints since then.

Martin Winterkorn

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE w/ Lighting Package
Been running the Barum Bravuris 3HM for 10k miles and haven't noticed much of a difference between them and the Michelin Pilots I was running before... Not to mention they are half the cost.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
The General Altimax RT-43's handle pretty decent in the snow we've had so far. Think I might skip putting the winters on this year, being that the Generals are new.

miningman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Im surprised it took 25 responses before someone recommended Nokian WR.. That was my choice 10 months ago and they handle snow well.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
When I got my car originally it came with Ecopia 422 in factory size.

When it came time to replace I went with ecopias again but in P 205 70 R15 size .... the tires larger diameter made for a more accurate speedo and helped with fuel mileage due to the overdrive effect of the larger tires .... cons was tire noise.

At my next tire change I went with Hankook Kinergy tires in P 205 75 R15 size for even more overdrive effect ... Kinergies can also run at 51 PSI ... These tires are great .... much quieter than the ecopias AND better MPG's ! .... I am trying to pay attention to tread depth because they seem to we wearing faster than the ecopias BUT I'll have to look at my records to see how many miles I have on them since I drive so much I may habve more miles on them than time may seem to indicate.

Next go around I will most likely the Kinergies again BUT in yet bigger P 215 75 R15 size ...

Andrew

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI, was 06 Jetta TDI, 15 q7 tdi, was 11 Q7 TDI
black, round and cheap

That's what I look for in a tire for street use...

I've run Chinese Sailun winter tires in the winter, and they've been fine....