Time for a clutch

AUGSX

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI 5spd
Well my DC stage 4 is toast and I need a new clutch but I have spent way to much on this car in the last 12 months so I need a reasonably priced clutch and flywheel. No more light weight fly wheel for me as I hate the rattle. I have been considering a VR6 clutch which I think will hold. Just wanted the opinion of the elders with more knowledge. mods are as follows...

VNT17/22
PP764
Kerma Tune
OMI
2.5" straight pipe after the stock downpipe
stock inter-cooler
11mm Pump
Automatic injector bodies as this was and auto originally.

I got the DC clutch used with the tranny last year, if I remember correctly it had about 35k when I got it and I put about another 15k on it.

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
I don't know if we are thinking about the same VR6, but the one I have barely holds my tune and camshaft. I don't think a Sachs VR6 has near the capabilities of a more expensive clutch (DC or SBC). It seems they are hit and miss on the amount of torque they can hold.

You pay to play. I will be installing an SBC when I have the cash for it, and in the mean time I am being careful not to glaze my VR6.

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
Get a South Bend and never look back. A stage 2 endurance will hold darn near anything you'll ever throw at it.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
I think I would prefer the Stage 2 or 3 street.
I installed SBC stage 2 endurance with a resurfaced stock TDI flywheel 1 year ago.

It is low peddle pressure, holds great with 20 PSI boost & TDtuning stage 3 tune. Very good clutch and well worth the extra over a stock clutch. I don't want to replace my clutch in 15 or 50k miles.
The socalled " silent" clutch is what I would install today.

AUGSX

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI 5spd
I'm thinking the silent also as I hate noise unless its diesel noise.

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Scott, Whitbread, Ryanp, and Kerma do. Or you can go through southbend directly. Don't let Kerma fool you.