Tiguan 4motion engine turbocharger replacement $3500

CCED

TDI
Tiguan 2014
Hi seeking for help!
2014 volkswagen tiguan 4motion 2.0. Engine light scans code P0299 turbo underboost.
VW dealership service found wastegate control rod is seizing. Need to replace turbocharger. Quoted $3500 + tax
My question:
1. Any danger or further damage if I keep driving?
2. If I should replace it, is $3500 is fair price? Or any other good garage you could suggest?

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
Do yourself a favor and drive to Precision Tuning (in Vaughan) and get an honest opinion. Perjad (shop owner) won't steer you wrong. https://www.precisiontuning.ca/ If you like in the Ontario section there is also a sticky at the top called Mechanic Review. Look for other shops there as well. $3500 to me seems VERY steep. In addition, maybe like on our older cars the wastegate control (VNT) might be able to be replaced and not the entire turbo system.....but I could be wrong on that. Google would be your friend for a question like this.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yep, very common. I do a lot of those. The wastegate mechanism has an updated design, but of course it means buying the whole turbocharger.

It is something like a 6hr job book time, which on the 4Mo is a loser job in my opinion. I charge more, and take a lot more stuff out of the way, and even at 10hr is it still a barely break even kind of job.

BW has them widely available new in the aftermarket for usually half the price of the dealer, which I think lists them somewhere crazy like $2k.

So, depending on where you are, $3500 may be a decent price. I think we could do it here for a little less, but not by much.

CCED

TDI
Tiguan 2014
Thank you so much guys for the info! Appreciated! I guess I will have to quote around to seek a fair price.