Tightening greasey inner CV joint bolts

Software Mechanic

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
When replacing my drive axles on my 2000 Jetta the bolts for the inner CV joint acquired a coating of grease. Tightening to spec is impossible. Is there a torque spec for greasy bolts or do I need to clean each one, the bolt holes in the CV joint, and the threads in the transmission drive flanges?

Can the drive axles be attached to the transmission without getting the bolts covered with grease? Is so, how?

Thanks,
John

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Yes its possible to put the bolts in without having them greasy. And yes you should clean them.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I've always gotten grease on the flange bolts. It's a messy job. I wish the manual axles had a cap on the inner joint like the auto ones do.

On my '78 bus I had an issue with those bolts backing out occasionally. But not on my other cars. I do clean them and try to keep them clean on installing, but I also get them nice and tight.

zslnk

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI, 3rd gen Cummins 2500, ALH Sedan
You can pack the axle joint, clean the holes out so the bolts don't push a blob of grease through, brake clean the bolts and threaded holes on the flange and apply blue loctite and torque to spec. I've done 4-5 trans in/out and never had a flange bolt problem using this technique.