Tiggy TDI

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
OK, so who's heard what about VW bringing the Tiguan TDI to the American market? I read in the Nov. 2011 issue of Motor Trend a prediction of a diesel Tiggy in 2012. Umm... still no joy AFAIK. Is it just the usual VW smoke screen?Anyone else hear anything? Inquiring minds want to know!

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
OK, so who's heard what about VW bringing the Tiguan TDI to the American market? I read in the Nov. 2011 issue of Motor Trend a prediction of a diesel Tiggy in 2012. Umm... still no joy AFAIK. Is it just the usual VW smoke screen?Anyone else hear anything? Inquiring minds want to know!

VW's PR guy in VA told me two years ago "
We have spent considerable time analyzing the viability of a Tiguan TDI in the US. Unfortunately, the price/volume assumptions do not support offering the vehicle in the market. Our alternative has been to offer the highly successful Jetta SportWagen TDI which currently sells at over 80% TDI" Also - "There is interest in a Tiguan TDI but at a much lower price point than the anticipated retail cost". Boiled down, this means US buyers want it, but we don't want to pay for it. So, no diesel Tig for us.