TICKING NOISE. Is it lifters or something else? (With Audio)

Mk4tdi2022

TDI
Vw ALH MK4 TDI
Hi there I've been considering changing lifters camshaft and cambelt as I had thought that one of the lifters was ticking, but I'm starting to think it may not be a lifter?

I have a golf MK4 TDI 1.9 ALH 151k miles and 60 miles before it was scheduled for an oil change it developed a ticking sound, I hoped the oil change might resolve it but it has not.

I had come to the conclusion it was the lifters but reading more has me doubting this.
Could this perhaps be to do with the IP or the oil pump chain? Is there any way to check or signs to listen for? The ticking sound the same with a cold engine and with a warm engine. When turning the engine off I'll hear a single metal on metal tap that sounds like it's definitely coming from the passangers side?

Help is greatly appreciated thank you

First video is of the shutdown clanging

Second video is of Idle Revved and Shutdown

Last edited:

Mk4tdi2022

TDI
Vw ALH MK4 TDI
I've had noisy tappets before and I've never had this sound that happens when I turn the engine off, it's the last thing to make sound and it sounds like it's a double tap? Like it hits twice in quick sucession. Oil chain going slacker?

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Sounds like a tappet, but hard to tell. Mine made a very similar noise at 215k. New tappets and it was all good. Mine didn't seem to be as loud as yours tho. When you rev up does it also click faster? If you take the engine cover off soes it sound like its coming from the top end? Use a screw driver to trace it down if possible. You can also put 2 stroke oil in your fuel tank and it will quiet down the IP so you can rule that out maybe. Usually if its IP you can tell because it will definitely be coming from there. I had a tick from the IP on my car. I threw some 2 stroke oil in the tank and the sound never came back put 25k+ and still was fine.

Mk4tdi2022

TDI
Vw ALH MK4 TDI
Sounds like a tappet, but hard to tell. Mine made a very similar noise at 215k. New tappets and it was all good. Mine didn't seem to be as loud as yours tho. When you rev up does it also click faster? If you take the engine cover off soes it sound like its coming from the top end? Use a screw driver to trace it down if possible. You can also put 2 stroke oil in your fuel tank and it will quiet down the IP so you can rule that out maybe. Usually if its IP you can tell because it will definitely be coming from there. I had a tick from the IP on my car. I threw some 2 stroke oil in the tank and the sound never came back put 25k+ and still was fine.
How much two stroke oil did you put in? Was it into a full tank of fuel?

How long did you drive it while it was tapping for? Is the damage that is occurring happening only to my camshaft and tappets or will more problems arise from this if it's not replaced say within 1k miles? Thank you for your feedback, any idea on the engine shut off clanging?

And yes the tapping increases with the RPM

Mk4tdi2022

TDI
Vw ALH MK4 TDI
Could be the DMF, shut-off clanging is
definitely a tell tale sound. Doesn't sound overly like the ones I've heard though.
Would that also create a tapping that increases with the RPM increase? Thanks for reply

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
How much two stroke oil did you put in? Was it into a full tank of fuel?

How long did you drive it while it was tapping for? Is the damage that is occurring happening only to my camshaft and tappets or will more problems arise from this if it's not replaced say within 1k miles? Thank you for your feedback, any idea on the engine shut off clanging?

And yes the tapping increases with the RPM
Umm, like a 3/4-1 quart. Idk however much you feel like i guess. Ya full tank, but half a quart to half a tank. Idk i just threw some in and put diesel in behind to mix it up some. Its a mk4 it'll burn it.

I drove it for several weeks like that. So maybe 800 miles. Idk for sure that was a few years ago. Pull your valve cover and pook at the tappets and cam. Send us some pics too look at. Mine looked fine, but they had some side to side play that was just enough to tap. If you drive it a really long time maybe, but otherwise you should be fine for a lil while but no guarantees. Your sounds louder then mine was. Mine was fairly quiet, but still definitely noticable.

Idk about the shut off clanging.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
If you can reproduce in the driveway, try a stethoscope (or hose-in-ear) to figure out exactly where it's coming from. The IP will tick when worn. Lots of places for the motor to produce errant noises.