Thumping noise when turning the steering wheel

325_Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta
So, I finally got my 06 Jetta back from the shop after a collision in December. Left front wheel, knuckle, fender, and strut were all replaced. Now I noticed a new problem. When I turn the steering wheel, I can hear a low thudding sound coming from the front of the vehicle. I can hear it inside the car, but when trying to listen for the sound outside, I could not.

I can't remember hearing it before, and it was loud enough that my wife was actually the one who noticed it first and asked me about it.

Ideas?

325_Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta
It is most noticeable when sitting still. Would a shifting subframe make regular noise constantly? I know describing sounds over the internet is hard, but the best way I can describe this feeling is similar to the rapid thudding that you hear during an ABS activation, but this is much quieter, is loudest when the car is sitting still, and doesn't involve the brakes.

Since I just got the car out of the shop and I now have to take it back anyway (shop botched the door repair, lock and handle pull right out of the outer door panel and something in the door is cutting a groove into my tint), I'm going to hold them on the hook for the noise too but I would like to diagnose it as much as I can before I take it back in.

325_Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta
Just take it back to the shop.
Yeah, I know. I plan to, but I just want to point them in the right direction first. After all, this IS a "USAA recommended" shop that left my door all screwed up.

As a general rule, I do all my vehicle work myself but I broke my rule #1 and let a shop touch my car because they had good reviews and my insurance footed the bill. The only reason I'm even thinking of taking it back is because of the popping noise from the suspension...if it's related to the accident than it's not too fair for me to pay full price for the parts and spend the labor time to repair what should have been taken care of in the first place.

The other issue is that my commute for work is a bit long- 460 miles one way. I have five days to get this sorted out before I'm back on the road. If the popping noise is just a nuisance (which is possible if it is a strut bearing), I can deal with it. If it is a legitimate issue that may leave my suspension/ steering permanently degraded, that's unacceptable. I'd like to be able to walk into the shop and say "hey, this is what's happening, this is what is likely wrong, fix it" if that makes any sense.

ibexlatham

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta TDI 6spd - dead
Well if you hit something hard enough to have the front suspension replaced did they check the steering rack too?

Is it a constant noise when steering left or right lock to lock or is it a one time "pop" when changing directions?

Your best bet is have the wife in the car, pop the hood, and have her steer left to right and listen to the strut bearings, then get on the ground and listen to the suspension and look for any interferance or movement that shouldnt be. It could be something simple like the underbelly or wheel well liner try hitting the tie rod or it could be a damaged rack or loose suspension components.

If I had to describe the ABS noise I would descirbe it as a very low, quiet "crunchy" noise... like a very light, rapid, rattle/knocking noise... is this similar to what you're getting?

Also, can you feel anything through the steering wheel?

fwthompson

TDI
06 jetta tdi brm 5 spd 220k (sold) , 05.5 jetta tdi brm dsg 134k (SOLD), 06 Jetta TDI BRM dsg mkv white. 224k. 2011 jetta cja dsg Silver. 155k
Mine was doing the same thing and it ended up being the bolts holding the steering box being loose on the subframe. 06 jetta tdi brm.

Mad_Matt

TDI
15 EcoDiesel Jeep
USAA recommended repair shop

Threeshot sorry to hear abt your issues. I'm also having an issue with a USAA recommended body shop. They cut corners on a door replacement on my B6 Passat. They did not order and install the sound insulation in the door and they hinges and hing bolts and b pillar vin sticker are all messed up. So I'm wondering where they cut corners there.

I've talked to some reputable indy body shops and they stated in the past they were a preferred ins co body shop and because of that they were essentially on the Insurance companies payroll. They repair to the Insurance companies requirements, charge and use the parts dictated by the INS co. They stopped participating because they did not feel that theyr were able do the job right using the requirements set forth by the insurance companies.

Take it back and make them find and fix the issue. You should have a lifetime warranty on your repairs so use it and make them get your car right. Make sure you get your rental and make them pick up the tab as they did not fix the car correctly.

DMDK

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI 6M/T 50kmi
Check the cv nut at the hub. My 01 loosened after replacing and made similar sound. Now I mark axle and nut with a punch.