Thoughts on Golf & Jetta Front end swaps?

ss04vv

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 382k & counting...
Just wondering what you guys think of cars with their front end swapped to their A4 brother? (Going either way here Golf --> Jetta or Jetta --->Golf)

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
and here is a golf nose on a Jetta wagon...

[/IMG]
That looks just like a golf estate, like mine in fact, what is the difference between them if any?

OP I'd stick with the golf front end and fit the 4 motion splitter, they're quite cool and I'll be getting one in 2012.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
not much difference, hood, fenders, bumper, headlights, grille.
Same car, 1 year apart..

tmarion

TDI
Black '01 Jetta, 5 speed
Personally I love the jetta front end on the golf, that being said i am not a huge fan of the golf front end on the jetta. I think the second look is much harder to pull off. But that's just my $0.02

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
I can't stand the Jetta front end, personally. Remember, too, that while Golf headlights are not perfect, they are FAR better than Jetta headlights. Not worth the sacrifice, IMHO.

Jakobicev

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora ALH 2002
I can't stand the Jetta front end, personally. Remember, too, that while Golf headlights are not perfect, they are FAR better than Jetta headlights. Not worth the sacrifice, IMHO.
Can you explain why?Besides the Golf ones are not plastic...
The perfect combo IMHO :) ...

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
Honestly I'd be embarrassed to drive an MK4 with a swapped front end. Both the Golf and Jetta are flawless the way they are and it's very hard to argue otherwise. Anyone who's swapping is just doing so for the sake of being different and to attract attention. It makes zero sense from a design standpoint since both the Golf and the Jetta's headlight match their respective body style (rounded/rectangular). Swapping front ends would be like putting Halle Berry's head on Angelina Jolie's body.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I totally agree. *MAYBE* I would put a golf front end on a Jetta for the better headlights, but Jetta front end on a golf just looks plain dumb to me.

The picture posted above has plenty of that dumb factor going on so I think the front end is the least of it....

odinsjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon
I have a Golf front on my Jetta wagon. Very happy with it. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, the Jetta Wagon (Golf Estate) was fitted with a Jetta front for the North American market only. For the European market, it was part of the Golf family and equipped accordingly. I think that any MK4 with a hatch should look like a Golf and any MK4 with a trunk should look like a Jetta (Bora). The lights are much better on the Golf (as stated in other posts) as the high and low function at the same time instead of having a dual filament lamp.

Jakobicev

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora ALH 2002
European market has Bora and Golf...
Golf-hatchback and wagon
Bora-limousine and wagon
=
4 different cars;)
And there is nothing wrong with Bora headlights on the old continent,the crappy ones are sold on the US Jetta models,I drove recently next to the one on the autobahn and could not believe that I was the one that actually gave some light down the road, totally different light pattern,later we stopped together on the same rest stop and parked parallel so I spoke to the guy and we compared it again...guess what?He is ordering new ones:).
The Golf ones are less desirable here cause of the bulbs they are using...H7 ones will never ever have the lifespan the H4 bulbs have.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
European market has Bora and Golf...
Golf-hatchback and wagon
Bora-limousine and wagon
=
4 different cars;)
And there is nothing wrong with Bora headlights on the old continent,the crappy ones are sold on the US Jetta models,I drove recently next to the one on the autobahn and could not believe that I was the one that actually gave some light down the road, totally different light pattern,later we stopped together on the same rest stop and parked parallel so I spoke to the guy and we compared it again...guess what?He is ordering new ones:).
The Golf ones are less desirable here cause of the bulbs they are using...H7 ones will never ever have the lifespan the H4 bulbs have.

We get jettas too over here now, don't know why but we don't get bora wagons/estates.

Is there a shortage of H7 bulbs around Croatia? Personally I can't say mine have ever actually blown over the last couple of years. I broke one but that was me being careless.