Thoughts making a TDI Travel Emergency Contact List?

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I have toyed with this idea for awhile and am going to get the ball rolling on it. The resurgence is due to helping someone out last night on a Facebook group who was traveling home to New York and broke down in North Carolina. I was able to help him out some but without a Vag-Com locally it was difficult walking him through diagnosing the cause. I posted a thread about it on the B4 board.

Anyway, my wife and I take several trips a year that are over 200 miles, occasionally driving to Florida or on trips over 1,000 miles. I have AAA Premier, but that only gives a 200 mile range and where would we go anyway? The nearest dealership to get gouged and have more problems crop up?

So my thought is to develop a list, like the Trusted Mechanics list (from which he called all the numbers in North Carolina last night seeking help) or the now defunct Vag-Com list.

But my thought is to have it private, so web bots won't peel information off and use it for nefarious purposes. It would also have a map associated with it to see the location of people that may be nearby. Several people I spoke with suggested making the list a membership (no dues obviously) with sign-in required to keep roving eyes out. Those on the list volunteering to help would receive the benefit of being able to call on others also on the list, but I'm not sure if that would be too confining. At the same time I'd hate to find someone driving into my driveway at 2AM just to have a place to crash for the night because they were tired. It'd have to be for an emergency only and not a social visit, which could be set up individually if people agreed to it in advance.

So my thoughts are the following:

1. Sign in required.
  2. Name
  3. Address
  4. Phone number for emergencies
  5. Email
  6. Vag-Com availability
  7. Level to which you would be willing to help. This could be something as small as being able to bring tools or run to an auto parts place to having a full blown garage.
  8. TDI's on which you are experienced. I know my way around the B4 very well and the ALH OK but the PD/CR I do not. I have the Vag-Com and could help but my help would be limited.
  9. Perhaps time limits on which calls are allowed? I am willing to help people out at almost any time, but I'd hate to get a call at 2AM from someone 2 hours away with a simple flat tire or because they ran out of fuel (and I've fielded those calls). Obviously there are varying degrees of what people would consider an 'emergency', but those of us who work are obviously only available at certain times.

Thoughts? Should the list be private or made available to those who only want to use it and not contribute to it? My fear is that if it's the latter, then only a few will be available to help with the rest not having a stake in it until it's needed.

The discussion begins....now.

deecee

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat Tornado Red, 99.5 Golf ALH, 2002 Jetta ALH
I think it's a great idea and at first I thought it should be public for anyone to use but the more I think about it maybe a private list makes more sense.

My thinking is that most people who have an older tdi work on them and are probably members here anyway and so if the list was only open to tdi members and you were going out to help someone, you might at least have some sort of connection to whom your going to help

Also, like you say, if it is open to everyone you might end up being taken for a ride more often than not by people that just want to use the help.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
I think its a great idea...I have thought about it before too.
Just don't know how one would set it up so it isn't abused.

Jesus Is Lord

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon 144,000 2003 Eurovan VR6 2007 Touareg V10 TDI 158,000
This sounds like a very good idea. I would be willing to join the list.
My brother has some knowledge of computer programing so I will ask him.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
As long as it's private, I don't mind the phone # - I would be just as well to respond to a PM here as well, as they forward to my phone.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
I have a VCDS and A garage full of tools id lend to a fellow TDIer in need. Where do i sign?

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
Woulda killed for someone on sturgis when I broke down this summer 2000 miles from home. Thank god for you guys and the guys from the Napa auto store. Saved my ass, vacation and hundreds, possibly thousands of dollars!! Great idea. I'd love to sign up but I don't know enough and work for 3 weeks a month otherwise I could be a Alberta Canada guy.

tripl-e

Veteran Member
TDI
b4 sporting a new ET 6th gear!
I'm certainly willing to help out in emergencies but, like others, I don't want the 2 AM fuel exhaustion call or the family of 5 looking for a hostel.

My contact preference would txt message, I generally reject phone numbers I don't recognize. I imagine that info would vary by participant.

In terms of map pins, I'd offer a more general location than a street address so a traveler with trouble would know they were close to me but couldn't find my home without my consent.

The contact list could detail the services available and some sense of their limitation(s).

Back when BMW 2002s were uncommon the club published a "Friends of BMW" book for the same purpose. It was a huge success and a great help to many travelers. It's a similarly good idea for our aged buggys.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
People travel through Iowa? ;)

Learn something new every day!

I'll set up a separate post if/when this gets going. For now I'd just like this post to be about the discussion, what to include/not include, pros/cons, etc.
Yes, they do sometimes travel through Iowa...:D

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
How about a sticky for travel emergency only. For members only.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
A travel emergency sticky might work. Though a map with stick pins of some type, maybe as suggested not to specific, would be handy. I'm up for it.

patbob

Veteran Member
TDI
was a 2013 Jetta TDI
At one time, I thought of doing a phone app that would allow someone stuck to press a button that requested help, and then have the phones of other members who are nearby beep to let them know someone near them could use a hand.

It'd be an interesting project, but I just don't have the time to climb all the learning curves involved.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
A travel emergency sticky might work. Though a map with stick pins of some type, maybe as suggested not to specific, would be handy. I'm up for it.
I'd just make it a list and organize by state in alpha order. I'm not so sure a map would really be any better.

TBH I'd be worried about the map, the old vag-com owner map is basically defunct anyway what's to say that the member list won't go that direction either? External apps have a tendency to be let go.

I'll participate but as I've said before in another post and as others have mentioned here the contact info needs to be restricted to members.

I know that restricting information means people won't have anyone to contact if they're not a forum member but IMO there's no excuse for a tdi owner not to be a member. I'm not even that paranoid.

Steve

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I wasn't even thinking forum member, I was thinking list member.

A map would be handy to see who's closest to your location. Looking up cities one at a time on a smartphone is a bear when you're stuck. Zooming in on a map would be very beneficial in that instance.

Jesus Is Lord

Veteran Member
TDI
My brother is looking in to making a site that would require your TDI Club username and password to log in and see the map. I will let you know what he says.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Jesus Is Lord said:
My brother is looking in to making a site that would require your TDI Club username and password to log in and see the map. I will let you know what he says.
Unless your brother is in some way affiliated with the TDIClub, they should have no way of knowing any of that information.

Something to consider: Members: 125,118, Active Members: 19,715

With so many people on the board, do you really want THAT many people to have access, any time they want, to the emergency contact list? And what about people with nefarious thoughts, not all of us are honorable? This leads me to not want to post actual address information, as tripl-e mentioned above.

I have no issues helping people out but I would prefer to restrict it to those who would help people in return. This way it weeds out the chaff who just want to use people and not have any stake in the list.

Last edited:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Privacy is a concern. The very few people I've had at my home posted a thread requesting assistance. It puts it in the open, initially anyway. I've met others at a nearby grocery store... they only needed VCDS help. I think posting an "I need help" thread works just fine... and has for the past 15 years. I'm glad to help someone nearby. But I'm not putting my contact info out there for just anyone to see or use. Just my $0.02.

PS: I received a text message one night from someone who thought it was reasonable for 1) him to send a text to an acquaintance at 2am and 2) for me to get up and drive 50 miles to help him with a drivable car. No thanks! He got huffy when I wasn't immediately available and found someone else.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
And what about people with nefarious thoughts, not all of us are honorable? This leads me to not want to post actual address information, as tripl-e mentioned above.

I have no issues helping people out but I would prefer to restrict it to those who would help people in return. This way it weeds out the chaff who just want to use people and not have any stake in the list.
These are my exact concerns. There are a LOT of people I would bend over backwards for on this site if they needed help. However, I can't help but think about the nefarious thought people.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
The problem with an "I need help" post is that some people won't log into the site for days and would miss it. I posted this exact thing and had deecee respond (thank you!) but he was 3.5 hours away. I know there are people who live closer and the purpose of the list would be to be able to contact them directly.

I worry in part because an emergency for one person doesn't mean it's necessarily an actual emergency. I had someone contact me while I was on vacation in Florida about their driver's window falling down in the front. To me that is not an emergency but an annoyance. I was able to walk them through how to repair it but the wife was not happy I spent an hour on the phone doing so. Same thing with running out of fuel or other minor issues. But, something like the car shutting down, loss of the TPS, or snapping a timing belt would be cause to call.

The question is, how do we set the rules so everyone knows the difference?

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hello,

The question is, how do we set the rules so everyone knows the difference?
When *it* hits the fan, most won't bother following the rules. They either won't read them or neglect to double-check when they meet trouble.

OT, but somehow, this reminds me of attending school concerts. The director actually has a list of etiquette guidelines for audience members to follow during a performance, such as not using phones, when to enter/exit, no flash photos, etc. Except the people who need to hear those rules aren't there yet. They're late. They enter in the middle of the performance, disturb people to get a good seat toward the front, then sit down and take flash photos, text their friends, and talk.

My point - These social rules will always be ignored by the lowest common denominator. Even TDIClub has them. I'm available via PM or if I notice a thread in which I can help.

Scott

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Whenever a Member writes about a trouble here, we always respond. Those members that are close to the "trouble spot" help without asking. I'll always help a VW in trouble!

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
It's the timeliness of the response that is the issue.

Scott, you have some very valid points, people seem to forget the little things when in trouble, like etiquette. I think therefore it probably needs to be distilled down to the lowest common denominator while still being viable.

Smalls

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Jetta TDI
I agree 100%. If it ever comes to fruition, add my name to the top of the list.

Story Time:

Memorial Day weekend I went to Detroit from Gettysburg,Pa to pick up an old car for a friend of mine at work. I did charge him a very reasonable rate for the 12-13 hour round trip. On my way back, my transmission acted up in my Duramax and left me sit in BFE, Ohio, on the turnpike, with nothing around.

I limped it to a fuel station and began calling friends/family. No one had a rig long enough to get my truck, trailer and car home. I went to facebook and duramax forum and began trying to get ahold of people. The duramax fourm has a similiar list and I got ahold of 2 guys, both who were within 15 minutes of my location, but not home during the holiday weekend.

I had a guy from a facebook group track me down, pointed me to a decent hotel for the night and he and his wife were beyond supportive and asked if I had needed anything.

It blew my mind that so many people offered to help, were asking friends with trailers, advice and help troubleshooting. I found a ride home and am forever grateful to those people that were willing to help a total stranger in time of need.

If you could make a Google Map with contact points. Have a persons email and "verify" once a year to make sure it stays active and they're still interested in helping.

I'd be willing to give you a hand with this. It could be a great thing.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Another possibility is listing city and state only, or maybe the ZIP code for larger areas. For example, my profile says I'm in Newport News, VA. If you GoogleMap "23608," then you can see the general area in which I live. I don't mind that. If that can be on the list, then a clickable member could be PM'd. The clickable link could point to one's profile. It would seem to me that if someone can look up the list from the road (tablet or smartphone?) then they would have the ability to send a PM.

Thoughts?

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
BTW,

Whenever a Member writes about a trouble here, we always respond. Those members that are close to the "trouble spot" help without asking. I'll always help a VW in trouble!
Agreed. I always click on help threads such as this recent TDI broke down 1500 miles from home thread. In this case, I'm clearly too far away to help and didn't have technical advice to add. But I always look.

The key is whether the OP put the call for help in a folder people normally visit. For example, I never venture into the Mk4, Mk5, Mk7, or Passat folders since I don't have one. The chassis-specific folders are great to advice, but not for a call for help. Someone posting in there could be minutes from me and I'd never see their need. "TDI 101" can sometimes move fast. I've been looking lately, but not always since there are so many new topics. I have a life outside of TDIClub... not much, though. :p I think the regional folders are a great place to post a call for help. For example, the OP for the above thread is stranded in FL. So the South Eastern USA folder may have been a better option, but only if he needed onsite help. For technical advice only, he's posted in the right place.

Scot

Jesus Is Lord

Veteran Member
TDI
Unless your brother is in some way affiliated with the TDIClub, they should have no way of knowing any of that information.

Something to consider: Members: 125,118, Active Members: 19,715

With so many people on the board, do you really want THAT many people to have access, any time they want, to the emergency contact list? And what about people with nefarious thoughts, not all of us are honorable? This leads me to not want to post actual address information, as tripl-e mentioned above.

I see what you mean. It would be better to only have people participating in the list to be able to view it.