Thoughts? 96 Passat

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
There are numerous sources for small leaks on the 1Z, most of them minor. The valve cover and the pipe from the CCV back to the block are probably the most common ones. Oil pan gaskets can leak with age, too, as can front and rear main seals. The seals take more work to replace, but none of the leaks are catastrophic.

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
There are numerous sources for small leaks on the 1Z, most of them minor. The valve cover and the pipe from the CCV back to the block are probably the most common ones. Oil pan gaskets can leak with age, too, as can front and rear main seals. The seals take more work to replace, but none of the leaks are catastrophic.
What about the throw out bearing making noise?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
They do that with age. The original clutch and throwout bearing on my B4 was noisy when I bought it at 250K miles. Best bet is to replace the whole clutch assembly as long as you have the transmission off. It's also probably not something you have to deal with immediately.

Ralphy

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI sedan, 1997, silver, ABS
A few drops of oil wouldn’t deter me unless the block is somehow cracked. Last time I checked, this is an enthusiast/diy forum, so expect to get your hands at least a little dirty.

-Todd
This is true. Here are the sellers comments:

First of all the negative things about the vehicle:

- Driver's side fender repainted due to rust. The clear coat is missing. Looks acceptable.

- Driver's side interior trim handles are badly worn
- Throw-out bearing makes noise
- Motor wet with oil, but consumes almost no oil

- Various scratches, but they were all immediately sealed with a touch-up pen
- Dampers need to be replaced soon
- The gear indicator on the shift knob has come off

On the positive things:

- The red paint is in good condition, no flaking or fading
- Air conditioning and cruise control, both working
- Window regulator driver's side new, e window regulators both work
- Interior, except for the driver's side handles, in very good condition

- Fresh oil change
- Engine starts perfectly

The vehicle is being sold because I hardly drive long distances anymore and the good engine is too bad for me. The vehicle is not an emergency sale and is now very rare in this condition.

I could live with that! I already have a good engine/clutch/trans in my B4S, and am looking for a good, non-rusted body. I was impressed to see how the underbody of that red german B4V was well preserved. I would miss the rear electric windows (I use the passenger side one alot for ventilation) and sunroof though. Wasn't the guy asking 4500 few days ago? Good luck with the transaction if you go ahead, it's your find.

Last edited:

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
So it’s not as bad as it sounds, that’s good to know thank you!

They do that with age. The original clutch and throwout bearing on my B4 was noisy when I bought it at 250K miles. Best bet is to replace the whole clutch assembly as long as you have the transmission off. It's also probably not something you have to deal with immediately.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Hard to say if it's a fair price. I do know you wouldn't get a clean B4V here for anywhere near that, maybe not twice that. I'm bad about cars and prices, if it's worth it to me than I think the price is OK. And with older cars it's really a matter of condition and whether or not it's what you want.

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
Ya I’d have to agree with that, I have decided that a B4V is really what I want and I really like the look of this Pacific for some reason, plus it has air and cruise. As much as I loved my 02 wagon, I always felt like I wanted something a little bit bigger. Plus, if I can find a better deal later on which is highly likely, I think it’s worth bringing two back with how scarce parts are.

Hard to say if it's a fair price. I do know you wouldn't get a clean B4V here for anywhere near that, maybe not twice that. I'm bad about cars and prices, if it's worth it to me than I think the price is OK. And with older cars it's really a matter of condition and whether or not it's what you want.

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
I made the seller an offer today on the Pacific. We will see if he tells me to kick sand or not. Lol Does anyone know what the Pacific stands for? I assume its for a level of trim but not sure what that trim adds.

Last edited: