Thoughts? 96 Passat

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Eh, if you do have to pick one, I would go for the B4 - at least you have a small chance of getting parts in north America as they were imported here. The Polo parts would be unobtainium here...

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrado TDI, 2000 Golf, 1996 B4 Variant
Awwww, you shouldn't have. Thank you for such a fine gift.

If you plan to use it a lot, get the Passat. If it's more your toy or a collectable, get the Polo. I'd get the Polo since it's your only chance.

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
Awwww, you shouldn't have. Thank you for such a fine gift.

If you plan to use it a lot, get the Passat. If it's more your toy or a collectable, get the Polo. I'd get the Polo since it's your only chance.
Lol. This is about where I’m at. So many options here though it’s like a kid in a candy store…also kicking around the idea of getting a T3 or T4 Transporter. ;) At the end of the day, just trying to find a worthy replacement for my mk4 Jetta Wagon.

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
Will the Polo fit in the back of a Tranporter? :unsure:
Hahaa I like the way you think! ;) Unfortunately the Polo sold today but I was leaning toward the Passat anyway. Has anyone owned that version Passat? How did/do you like them? Anything to be aware of?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Theres a whole forums on the b4, go read to your hearts content. I had one for many years, loves the rommy interior and vented 26+ gallon tank. Issues are body for, and parts which are becoming hard to find. Door handles, rubber coolant hoses, trim pieces etc.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I have Windex's old wagon and it's awesome, I started driving it daily again since it gets much better mileage. I'm averaging about 48 mpg around town and am filling it once a month. Some parts are getting hard to find but there are enough enthusiasts here that it hasn't been too much of an issue yet.

The wagon does have some quirks, like the aforementioned door handles, door bonk in cold weather, limited aftermarket tunes and upgrades, but it rides very nice and much better than most of the newer cars. I have also put over 28 gallons in the fuel tank but mine is vented. Most of the B4 people I know have said, after an extended absence due to fixing rust or working on their cars, that they missed how well they ride. I drove mine 3,000 miles across the country and it beat me up a lot less than my 2014 Optima.

I would have gone for the Polo just because it was unique and I like strange things, but that's just me. I am also not a fan of lowered cars.

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
I have Windex's old wagon and it's awesome, I started driving it daily again since it gets much better mileage. I'm averaging about 48 mpg around town and am filling it once a month. Some parts are getting hard to find but there are enough enthusiasts here that it hasn't been too much of an issue yet.

The wagon does have some quirks, like the aforementioned door handles, door bonk in cold weather, limited aftermarket tunes and upgrades, but it rides very nice and much better than most of the newer cars. I have also put over 28 gallons in the fuel tank but mine is vented. Most of the B4 people I know have said, after an extended absence due to fixing rust or working on their cars, that they missed how well they ride. I drove mine 3,000 miles across the country and it beat me up a lot less than my 2014 Optima.

I would have gone for the Polo just because it was unique and I like strange things, but that's just me. I am also not a fan of lowered cars.

Thank you for the explanation this is perfect! I am not a fan of lowered cars either and that would be one of my first changes. =)

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
he said both rocker panels were dented in (die Schweller eingedrückt), only in the front. So not rust. You think you could put your vape stick down to make a 3min video? Lame.
That’s good to know it’s only dented.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I like the second one. I love to get something like that. I'll be interested in what others think, but I honestly don't think it would have a lot of value here. Euro market car (strange), parts are quickly going obsolete for the US market B4s. It's not really collectable, and it's not a practical daily driver for most people. There's a VR6 B4 on BaT right now, it's not seeing a lot of bidding.

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
I like the second one. I love to get something like that. I'll be interested in what others think, but I honestly don't think it would have a lot of value here. Euro market car (strange), parts are quickly going obsolete for the US market B4s. It's not really collectable, and it's not a practical daily driver for most people. There's a VR6 B4 on BaT right now, it's not seeing a lot of bidding.

Isnt it essentially the same as the U.S. version? The VR6 isnt getting action because its a 6 not a 4…I wouldn't bid on it either but again Ive never has an interest in a 6.

If you were here and had your choice what would you look for? Ie what would be your practical choice and what would you like as a collectible?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Although they aren't here, the VR6 has a lot of fans.

And the key word in your comment is "essentially." We frequently talk to customers who have modded their TDIs with Euro parts and now cannot repair them. It's not impossible, but between the declining availability of US B4 parts and the Euro twist, be prepared to do some searching for some items.

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
Although they aren't here, the VR6 has a lot of fans.

And the key word in your comment is "essentially." We frequently talk to customers who have modded their TDIs with Euro parts and now cannot repair them. It's not impossible, but between the declining availability of US B4 parts and the Euro twist, be prepared to do some searching for some items.
Well thats good to know and I definitely respect your opinion being a vendor and tdi expert. I guess i just assumed that vw parts were interchangeable. I may look more into the Bora since theyre the same as the US Jetta and Ive also peaked at the transporter vans which are everywhere. Lol

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Interesting door panels on the euro B4.… no speaker grills that I can see. I also font see rear window switches, but maybe they’re hidden behind the wheel?

-Todd

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Interesting door panels on the euro B4.… no speaker grills that I can see. I also font see rear window switches, but maybe they’re hidden behind the wheel?

-Todd
Not sure about the speakers, but it was pretty typical of the time that EU cars would only have power windows in the front.

Ralphy

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI sedan, 1997, silver, ABS
Not sure about the speakers, but it was pretty typical of the time that EU cars would only have power windows in the front.
I don't know if the doors are pre-wired for speakers and rear window motors on those Euro Passats...

Boise, have you made up your mind? Do you know if that last red B4V is still available?

Last edited:

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
I don't know if the doors are pre-wired for speakers and rear window motors on those Euro Passats...

Boise, have you made up your mind? Do you know if that last red B4V is still available?
I am leaning toward the Pacific model but the owner said, “its not really leaking but there are a few drops of oil” that he thinks are coming from the oil pan”, so Im not sure.

What do you think? Other than that it seems to be in great condition. Asking prices is 5100 euro. I definitely prefer these B4 Passats over the A3 Golf Variants.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
A few drops of oil wouldn’t deter me unless the block is somehow cracked. Last time I checked, this is an enthusiast/diy forum, so expect to get your hands at least a little dirty.

-Todd