Those of you with a 6MT...

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
Just curious to see the number of 6MT owners that have installed the Dieselgeek Short Shift Kit installed in their NMS. I had mine on my Jetta before trading it in (took the Jetta back to stock and kept the shifter on trade-in), and after driving with the factory shifter on the Passat for two weeks I couldn't take it anymore!

The difference between stock and DG SSK is really phenomenal. I also added a Blackforest Industries heavyweight shift knob on the Passat (never had on the Jetta), and my gear rowing experience is completely changed for the better.

Not advertising for either company, just love both products.

Anyway, anyone else join the SSK club with their Passat?

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
I run the DG SSK on all my VW's, and wouldn't have it any other way! :)Stock shift knob though...

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
I have the DG SSK ready to install even though, IMHO, the stock shifter really is quite capable.

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
I run the DG SSK on all my VW's, and wouldn't have it any other way! :)Stock shift knob though...
I feel the same way! I know there are plenty of people that went the cheaper route of the Audi SSK, but I believe it only shortens shifts one direction not two... I'd be curious to know if anyone has had the Audi SSK and then switched to a DG.

I have the DG SSK ready to install even though, IMHO, the stock shifter really is quite capable.
The stock shifter is better than some of the others I have rowed through, but it's still not even close to the DG in terms of feel or performance. The SSK isn't hard to install either. One of the few mods that's easy to install and makes a HUGE difference in daily driving.

Also as a note, for when you do your install, I'd recommend using the broken transmission pin method. The adjustment is perfect while the standard install needed to be adjusted a bit.

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
Also as a note, for when you do your install, I'd recommend using the broken transmission pin method. The adjustment is perfect while the standard install needed to be adjusted a bit.
Is the "broken transmission pin method" different than using the pin provided with the kit to lock the shifter while it is tightened down?

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
Is the "broken transmission pin method" different than using the pin provided with the kit to lock the shifter while it is tightened down?
I believe it is. If I am not mistaken, the broken transmission pin would be referring to the pin on the transmission. Jim's instructions explain this in detail.
http://www.dieselgeek.com/v/install_guides/mkvsigmafiveinstall.pdf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7gTQzNSgWw

The broken pin method you put the transmission in first gear with the 5mm locking pin installed on the shifter inside the car, use a 13mm socket with an extension to press down on the transmission (while in first gear), then tighten down the top arm.

Worked like a charm the first time, and much simpler than locking the transmission and pulling / pushing the cable and trying to tighten... Plus I managed to break my locking pin while inserting the 5mm pin in the car. :D

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
Thanks for the info JaredC01 and mishkaya. I watched the install videos a few times pre-purchase and will definitely watch again right before performing the installation.