• The TDIClub classifieds section is a heavily trafficked section of the forum that encompasses want-to-buy (WTB) and for-sale (FS) threads for the entire world. Due to the demanding nature and fast pace of this section, it is imperative that you know and understand the rules. It is also important to remember that this is the only parts classifieds section.

Cross-posting and posting classifieds in the regional sections (except the dedicated thread in Ontario) is not permitted.

Multiple items should be sold in one thread. Make sure to provide a description for all items in your post along with pictures and prices. If you start multiple threads with individual items, they will be locked or combined at the discretion of the moderators.

Here is a quick outline of the classifieds section rules. If you don't follow these rules, you subject yourself to thread deletion, thread combination, infractions, or posting privilege revocation.

Thread titles:
    • Put FS or WTB in your thread title. This will let other users know if you are selling or buying.
    • Briefly describe what you are selling. Thread titles have limited space. Be as descriptive, yet succinct, as possible.
    • Put your location in the title.
    • If space allows, put your price in the title

Title example (single item): "FS: 2004 Mk4/BEW cylinder head - Portland, OR - $500"
    Title example (multiple items): "FS: MK6 fog lights, front bumper, headlights, grill - Detroit, MI"
    Title example (car part-out): "FS: Mk3 Jetta parting out engine & interior - Dallas, TX"

Thread text descriptions and pictures:
    • All for-sale threads must include pictures of the items that you are selling. One picture is sufficient, but multiple pictures with different angles will help buyers. A picture is worth a thousand words. If you don't know how to post pictures on TDIClub, see this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=286691
    • All for-sale threads must include a description. We don't charge per-word, so be as descriptive as possible. The more information you can provide, the easier it will be for buyers.
    • All for-sale threads must include a price. Auctions and bidding are not allowed. If you want to auction something off, use eBay.
    No picture, no price, NO SALE!

Thread maintenance/updates/bumps:
    • When you sell something, update your thread with "SOLD!" Moderators will close the thread and update the title.
    • If you have multiple items for sale, update your thread as each item has been sold. When everything has been sold, updated the thread with "ALL ITEMS SOLD!" Moderators will close the thread and update the title when all items have been sold.
    • If you bump your thread, please delete old bumps by clicking on EDIT and then deleting the old bump. This will reduce clutter in your thread and make it easier to read. It also makes you look less desperate.
    • If you drop your price, please update your first post in addition to posting the new price. If you would like the thread title changed, click on the report post icon and let a moderator know what you would like the title changed to.

Moderator intervention and infraction points:
    Moderators will be monitoring the classifieds section. If a moderator determines that you have not been following the rules listed above, corrections will be made and infraction points will be assessed to your account.

What is an infraction point? Simple - it's a system of keeping track of user behavior. A moderator can assign a point value based on the severity of the infraction, as well as an expiration date on the points assessed. If you accumulate a certain number of points, the system will auto-ban you for a predefined amount of time. The more points you accumulate, the longer your ban period will be.

One example of points is as follows: multiple threads will be combined into a single thread, with the number of infraction points assessed corresponding to the number of threads merged. If we merge four threads into one, then you will be assessed four points that expire in 30 days. When you reach five points, the system will auto-ban you for one day.*

*This is an example based on the current infraction system structure. We reserve the right to modify the infraction system at any time without notice or updates to this announcement.

Thank you for your cooperation, and good luck with your sales and searches! :)

-TDIClub Administration

Those in need of an 01M Automatic Transmission

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
If you are in the market for an 01M Automatic Transmission, take a look at the ad in the link below. I did a search on tranmissions and was scrolling thru the pages and found this:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1220427

There is a phone number to call!

If someone looks into this and learns that it is legit, follow-up and post comments for others!

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
That seller has been selling stuff on The samba and ebay for a while. They supposedly bought a trailer load of stuff from a VW test facility which closed.. They had some weird development TDI engines too.

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
That's Jack. He owned/owns Parts Place in Auburn Hills for years. He's legit. He's had some neat stuff over the years. 5 cyl. T3 SA kits, 5 cyl. TDI engines - new, he still has some other new TDI engines.

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI AUTOMATIC trans. GLS w/PLX package silver/black cloth
I don't see TDI mentioned in that add so perhaps it's only gassers?
From the ad, bold/underline added by me
"BRAND NEW VOLKSWAGEN AUTOMATIC TDI O1M TRANSMISSIONS

Complete with all new:
-Torque converter switches
-Full of VW's expensive trans oil

Jetta, Golf GTi - (99.5-2005) TDI
New Beetle - (98-2005) TDI"

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Can you believe I MISSED that!

Now I see it. First word in the sentence.
Your welcome!
Only wish this came up two years ago when I needed one. I got 213k mi. out of the OE tranny in my Golf. I kind of doubt I'll get that out of my rebuilt one (by IPT) which cost a good bit more than this (installed though).

Last edited:

Left Coast Resident

Ubẽr Clubbie
TDI
2001, 2002 & 2003 Jettas
I called him, these are not plug and play but are gas trannys that he says would be identical to the TDI tranny after you change the 2 of the final drive gears.
ROTFLMFAO. Apparently I need to change my previous post:
My post should now read:
Don't expect ANYTHING: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=490597&highlight=jfapex07+yahoo

DIESELMAN3500

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI,2006 vw tdi jetta,2003 vw beetle,2003 vw golf
i called him as well, a little rough around the customer area, but anyone have any intel personally? any idea of the gas trans being the same as the tdi is true?

BigVWman

Veteran Member
Apex, NC soon to be back in the mitten of doom!
TDI
A1 cabriolet tdi and 01 nb tdi and countless gassers!
I have personal experience on both jack and the 01m gas/diesel question. On the gears that is true to a degree that you only need to change a couple gears to achieve "tdi gearing".The question in my mind is will the computer see what it should see after it has been done,probably, but unsure. "Coolair" maybe better suited to answer that part. Its not an easy change for a lite wrencher as you will be going in to the auto trans.The final drive gears being the biggest difference and that involves setting bearing preloads and such. Some codes also would have different 2-3-4 gears which means disassembling the whole she bang including most of the parts(other than vb) you would be replacing in a rebuild. If most were comfortable doing the inside auto work they would be better at diagnosing or rebuilding their own! Jack is very knowledgeable and has been privileged to get some great buys on unusual vw stuff. He also lacks customer service skills, respect for his customers, has been known to cobble together sub-par pieces to achieve a sale. I am from metro Detroit and used to shop at parts place for many years myself usually only on super Sunday when i had control over what i bought. I had friends and acquaintances that worked for him or delivered to him(worked for his caliper re-builder), or rebuilt aircooled motors for him, and NONE had anything good to say about him personally. My best advice is to do some serious soul searching if you comfortable doing internal trans work and then- PICK IT UP IN PERSON!

DIESELMAN3500

Veteran Member
TDI
ok thanks for your personal experience. i was looking at the bentley manual and was looking over the gear ratios for the 2-3-4 gears and they all look the same based on the book. and the cars tcm controls the trans so nothing to do with the trans im guessing possibly. so maybe you wouldnt have to tear into the whole trans just the differential area.
maybe "coolair" could chime in for some more insight.

john

BigVWman

Veteran Member
TDI
There is at least one gas trans with a different 2nd gear and several with a different 4th. Would depend what code jack is selling. I also wouldn't be quick to dismiss tcm issues. It may only control the trans but there have been several renditions of 01m and not all are compatable. Im at work or i could give you some trans codes where gearing would be closest but its out there im sure if you look! I would def mot assume bentley is correct! There is much better detailed info out t here especially on transmissions! Also in thinking about it i bet jack bought them from vw, they were clearancing slow moving stock and that included some 01m's!

gigi123

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2002 Jetta
If a person that worked on automatic transmission for a while (I would say a minimum of 5 succesfull rebuilds) buys these gas transmissions to convert them to TDI, I would understand. But converting these to the correct ratios for diesel engine, assuming u don't have a shop with miscellaneous spare parts from 01M diesel, to me sounds next to impossible. Changing the final drive gears is not a 20 minute job...

DIESELMAN3500

Veteran Member
TDI
the work doesnt bother me im just trying to find an straight answer if someone knows for sure if the transmissions are the same for the most part?
anyone know answer?

john

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
the work doesnt bother me im just trying to find an straight answer if someone knows for sure if the transmissions are the same for the most part?
anyone know answer?
john
Since you're in NJ maybe give IPT a call? They do a lot of VW/Audi & high po. work.

BigVWman

Veteran Member
TDI
anyone know answer?
john
I answered that question- THEY ARE NOT!
Not a single gas fueled 01m trans code is the same as the tdi trans codes(ratios) in the north american market. I have rebuilt both. To give you a super accurate answer on exactly what is certainly different you need to give us the trans code 01m jack is selling and the trans code you have. Like i said earlier at a minimum your into the final drive to swap gears, and that is best case scenario. Worst case your dis assembling the whole unit to swap 2,3,4 and final drive. Keep in mind the 01m originated way back in the mk3 era approx 96, there are alot of subtle differences along the way in valve bodies and programming, probably clutch pack variations depending on application and the torque converter is different as well. Can you bolt it up- Sure. Will it function like it should- not even close!

DIESELMAN3500

Veteran Member
TDI
the trans codes are FDF and FDC. any thoughts now as far as compatibility that you can tell me from the letters?

oo and im not trying to argue with you im just trying to get opinions because hes telling me one thing and then someone tells me otherwise. no to say who is wrong or right just telling you what i am being told

thanks

BigVWman

Veteran Member
TDI
the trans codes are FDF and FDC. any thoughts now as far as compatibility that you can tell me from the letters?

oo and im not trying to argue with you im just trying to get opinions because hes telling me one thing and then someone tells me otherwise. no to say who is wrong or right just telling you what i am being told

thanks
Depends on what your ultimate goal is. I didn't take anything as argumentitive i was clarifying, if i sounded harsh, i apologize. To make either of them identical gearing to your tdi 01m (since i assume those are recycled jacks codes) One is a 1.8t (FDC)auto the other a 2.0 gasser(FDF) your in for the ring and pinion in both and the 2nd is different in the fdf and the 4th is also different in FDF. Now my response i based on what i presume is the level of expertise of most folks when it comes to automatics. I suppose theoretically if you wanted to you could use the lower 4th and use your original 01m ring and pinion and actually lower your cruising rpms at high speed! You can do many things to adapt to what rpms you want, larger tires has an effect etc. However going in and swapping the final drive isn't a job for the average weekend wrencher. If someone is telling you its easy as pie, offer them to swap them in for you to make the sale and still give you warranty?Most of jack's policies used to be otcro(over the counter return only) and i would bet if it went wrong he would leave you up the creek with no functional trans and no money, all the "advice" he gave you would then come back to bite only you, seen it happen too many times. It can be used(though rpms will be higher than should be) It can be made to be similar. Its not easy unless you do them daily, anytime your going in to the internal workings of an auto trans there is a potential for very expensive mistakes, its a high cost learning curve. Luckily both are later vintage 01m's.Its a good deal if you have a 1.8t or 2.0 gasser and they are what he says they are. If it were me i would spend lesser monies elsewhere. To imagine spending 1895 to then go home and take it apart to try and make it right just doesn't make sense to me. If you did take the plunge i would recommend the atsg or mitchells overhaul guide and again pick it up in person. Just my 2c!

jjpsuperdad

TDI
4 Jetta's 3 2000 1 2003
If you are in the market for an 01M Automatic Transmission, take a look at the ad in the link below. I did a search on tranmissions and was scrolling thru the pages and found this:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1220427

There is a phone number to call!

If someone looks into this and learns that it is legit, follow-up and post comments for others!
Yes he is a scammer!!!!! i hear all the negative stories from people here in NY that got a transmission from him, it did not work and try to get a refund see what happens! They also sell you gasser trans in place of the TDI trans telling you it will work. But don't fall for it ,they are gear different so i have been told. Buyer really beware !

ps. he also has several names for his company to sell these. what he says are only 2 left and they are new !!!! stay away !

Last edited: