This sucks

dh03tdi

TDI
2003 Jetta
Just thought I would give an update.

Going to pick the car up from the shop today. Tech says cannot do too much until I reseal the fuel pump. They will not do this. They want to put a new or reman pump on for about $3300 total. I think I will try to reseal this thing myself. What frustrates me the most is the the previous owner claimed he reseal the pump. I thought I saw it leaking when I test drove but he told me that they just replaced the fuel lines from the filter to the pump and they didn't clean afterward. Which looked to be correct as those lines looked brand new.

I had the shop order me a genuine Bosch reseal kit and I ordered the special socket from Kerma. Probably should have just ordered both from Kerma but whatever. I have watched a few videos and read a few forum pages on resealing these pumps. Doesn't look to be extremely difficult. Hardest parts looks to be getting the injection quantity piece back on exactly the way it came off. Wish me luck.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Exactly where on the pump is it leaking ?
If it’s at the head that’s under pressure and won’t be sucking air till the car is shut off.
If it’s the seals under the QA that shouldn’t cause a misfire.
Have you inspected your cam lobes and lifters for any wear?

dh03tdi

TDI
2003 Jetta
Exactly where on the pump is it leaking ?
If it’s at the head that’s under pressure and won’t be sucking air till the car is shut off.
If it’s the seals under the QA that shouldn’t cause a misfire.
Have you inspected your cam lobes and lifters for any wear?

I do believe it is leaking from under the QA. I have not had time to pull the valve cover to inspect the cam or lifters yet. Might try that this weekend.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Yeah that’s not gonna cause a misfire …at least in my experience…..I’ve done several of those seal jobs and the only problem was just leaking fuel…..no running issues at all.

dh03tdi

TDI
2003 Jetta
Yeah that’s not gonna cause a misfire …at least in my experience…..I’ve done several of those seal jobs and the only problem was just leaking fuel…..no running issues at all.
Yes I am a little skeptical myself. I drove the car home last night and drove it to work today and it seems to be running fine. NO missing. No rough idle. No CEL. I guess I will reseal the pump and keep driving it. Makes no sense.:unsure: