This post is for the audiophiles.

TDI4MI

TDI
00 GOLF ALH 1.9 TDI MKIV
I just put in a new CAR710W receiver to get better sound and car play. Old head unit was bad, so this was the green light.

I verified all colors and got the pre-wired harness from Crutchfield as well. My 2 door 2000 VW Golf ALH is a non-monsoon system. No amps, and 6 CD removed. I am using the original speaker system, eventually (or hoping to) upgrade soon.

The problem is that the main speakers in the bottom of the front doors do not work....I am unsure if this also was an issue present with the old head unit. BUT the tweeters are still playing sound. This is happening on both doors, and I have verified EQ and moved the balance/fade area to test. Rear is fine of course. I highly doubt that the connections would be broken to all the speakers. I also experience clipping at volumes over 25-26 on all sources.

I can't quite grasp how the main speakers are not playing as the tweeters are wired parallel into the woofers. Very strange. Although I heard that they can go out...

Has anyone got any pointers to what we should be looking for as my mind is exhausted.

FM

2nsane2005

TDI
2001 Jetta Tdi Blue Lagoon
Take the inner door skin off and verify with a 9volt battery that the woofer even moves. It’s a good chance they are blown. Upgrade them while you’re in there.

I have hertz mille 6.5 upfront with the tweeters in stock location powered by a hertz amp and hertz 2 ways in the rear running on deck power.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
No foam left in speaker? 2000 non monsoons crap level. Paper is paper not even painted im my experience

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Yep. Or get another speaker, some alligator clips, and see if there's signal on the wire. I bet there is.

Speakers disintegrate (literally) in cars relatively frequently.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Yeah I’ve always replaced speakers with new ones as every single one is blown , at least on my fleet of TDI’s.
Crutch fields is a good place for speakers and install kits…just my .02

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Ditto on Crutchfield. You don’t need to soundproof the doors but it helps a bit. Crutchfield will have all the info on what fits your car, and even has adapter rings so you can fit bigger speakers (I think up to 6.5).
The monsoon amp is adequate. Biggest gains will be seen in replacing the head unit, replacing the dash tweeters with silk-domed ones (avoid metal if you can), and replacing the front door speakers. You can use the stock wiring. Honestly wiring doesn’t make a big difference in cars for the work involved, unlike high end home stereo where it makes a huge difference.
I have been in the car audio upgrade business since the early 80s, so I know of what I speak.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I've replaced a lot of HUs and speakers in my day on vehicles. I'm honestly impressed with the Monsoon system as far as sound goes.

I have a HU in my car, but monsoon amp and speakers. Haven't had any of the speakers fail yet so no real reason to replace them. When the time comes, I'm pretty find of the Polk marine speakers as far as value to performance. Started with them in my boat, put a set in my truck I liked them so much.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I justify not going bonkers on the car system with the idea that there is too much road noise to make this stuff matter. At home, where there is no road noise the system is DIY and all tubes and horns. Rock with a Watt sensitivity and at well over 100W/side... :) Not that new drivers would not make a difference; been eying Hertz for sure... :) only the 165.3 variant as I've not a large enough entertainment budget anymore...LOL

Douglas

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Home audio is expensive but awesome, though I’ve managed to get really good sound for less than $10k. I don’t have the money, yet, to upgrade.

i did spend money on my car stereo but I don’t go as crazy as some for sure. Always have, always will. Also soundproofed her and dropped her down to 67db@70mph.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I installed a Kenwood radio in my 2014 JSW after I removed it from the last car it was in.
Much better then the original VW radio.
I also used 16 gauge wire to the speakers.
If I ever sell the 2014 (not in the near future) I will put the original radio back in.
Unfortunately it will not fit in my 21 Atlas.
My home Denon surround sound plus the Yamaha sub woofer (several hundred watts) is more then I need.
It's been heard 2 floors up from me.. :cool:

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
They pop off. There are retaining clips along the sides and bottoms. They typically are brittle from age and will break, so you have to be very careful or just buy replacements in advance. There should be youtube videos for Mk4 VWs out there on how to so this.