This news report is so spot on it deserves it own thread.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
Feast on it! :mad:

Why Volkswagen TDI Owners Are Pissed About The Dieselgate Buyback Process

Now more than ever, Volkswagen cannot afford to screw up in the U.S. After coming clean about its emissions cheating, the company needs to now focus on compensating the 400,000 U.S. customers who feel betrayed and whose faith in the company has been thoroughly shaken. Sadly, many already frustrated VW TDI diesel owners are now even more pissed off by the buyback claims process. Here’s why.
http://jalopnik.com/why-volkswagen-tdi-owners-are-pissed-about-the-dieselga-1789233795

EDIT: THIS IS NOT A NEWS REPORT> IT IS A BLOG AND SOME GUYS OPINION. my bad

Last edited:

TDIsoup

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
"But while some of them are just angry because they hate paperwork, many are upset because they think Volkswagen is doing a poor job communicating perhaps the most important aspect of this buyback: timing. "

HAHA and it serves them right. Screw VW after this. I can't believe I almost bought another one.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Yeah, they've definitely dropped the ball on communication--and what they have communicated has been inconsistent and often incorrect. They've also dropped the ball on actually complying with the timelines they agreed to--if they were doing that, the poor communication might not be such a problem.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
Hopefully a think tank is watching this fiasco to compile the pros, cons and lessons learned. The next situation like this somewhere down the road should be handled much better.
But my real issue with articles such as this is that portrays Americans as spoiled brats to the miilions of VW owners everywhere else who are getting nothing.

TDIsoup

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Yeah, they've definitely dropped the ball on communication--and what they have communicated has been inconsistent and often incorrect. They've also dropped the ball on actually complying with the timelines they agreed to--if they were doing that, the poor communication might not be such a problem.

I wouldn't be happy still waiting, but if they simply communicated the issues, 99.9% they'd still have a loyal VW customer. It's as simple as that.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
Hopefully a think tank is watching this fiasco to compile the pros, cons and lessons learned. The next situation like this somewhere down the road should be handled much better.
But my real issue with articles such as this is that portrays Americans as spoiled brats to the miilions of VW owners everywhere else who are getting nothing.
First off, you can thank Mr Trump.;) Secondly I believe it has to do with our more stringent regulations. Thank you CARB, and his little sister EPA.;)

TDILeo

Veteran Member
TDI
CW 2011 Golf TDI 6M Repurchased By VW 1/30/17 1985 VW GTI
I feel sorry for the dealers and, specifically, the buyback 'ambassador' at these dealerships. They will truly be 'human punching bags' for a lot of TDI owners. So to speak. Ouch.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I feel sorry for the dealers and, specifically, the buyback 'ambassador' at these dealerships. They will truly be 'human punching bags' for a lot of TDI owners. Ouch.
I will be in and out as fast as possible and not say a word unless I am asked a question. Then off to buy my new pickup.

TDIsoup

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
I feel sorry for the dealers and, specifically, the buyback 'ambassador' at these dealerships. They will truly be 'human punching bags' for a lot of TDI owners. So to speak. Ouch.

I'm mad as hell, but will be nothing but polite and courteous to the VW people at the dealership. I know this has nothing to do with them.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
From Facebook TDI page

Link to TDI Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1498988570399266/permalink/1645616852403103/?comment_id=1645625792402209

Ann Haynes Adam quote from the article from folks hired to handle the process: ..."the representative told me, 'Volkswagen has decided that there is no timeframe, due to the overwhelming claims flowing in'." And then there's this: "We’ve been instructed by Volkswagen to indicate to the consumer that there is no timeframe...We’re only doing what Volkswagen is telling us to do... " Uhhhh, VOLKSWAGEN HAS DECIDED??? Volkswagen is telling you to disobey a judge's order?? Stunning, if true.

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Yeah, I'm not going to take out my anger on the phone reps, dealer staff, etc. Indeed, the people at my dealership have been great all along, and I feel that if they could do anything to help me they would. The people on the phone are useless, but it's not their fault that they're useless. The people who deserve to get yelled at are the ones who are totally insulated.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
This news report is so spot on it deserves it own thread.
To be nit-picky, this isn't a news report, it's a blog post, and it's basically summarizing everything that's already been written in this forum without all the political ranting and name calling.

...not that it's wrong, but it's still just David Tracy's opinion.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
To be nit-picky, this isn't a news report, it's a blog post, and it's basically summarizing everything that's already been written in this forum without all the political ranting and name calling.

You are correct. My bad. I will make sure this is noted.

BuyMeBackSoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 golf
I'll let the buyback personnel know how mad I am at being paid more than the car is worth so I can buy something newer with less miles and a warranty . Yes I'm mad. :mad:

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
"But while some of them are just angry because they hate paperwork, many are upset because they think Volkswagen is doing a poor job communicating perhaps the most important aspect of this buyback: timing. "

HAHA and it serves them right. Screw VW after this. I can't believe I almost bought another one.
Yup. That one piece is what pisses me off at this point. At this point...it doesn't much matter (to me) if it takes another month, or two, or three to get out of my car. I just want to hear something more than a WAG (Wild a55 Guess) as to when I'll be able to complete my buyback.

Edit:

Let's be real here...most in that boat are just pissed off that their nations consumer protection laws do not afford them the same opportunity. "Haters gonna hate."

Last edited:

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
In the story it states some bought a second vehicle in anticipation of the buyback.

Sorry but I learned a long time ago, do not count your chickens before they hatch.

You wait until you have a check in hand before buying a new one. I suspect some wanted end of year deals and jumped the gun. That is fine, but don't blame VW because you have TWO car payments you can't afford...

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
I swear that article sounds like it was written by someone from TDIClub.

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
The blogger must have been reading many of the posts here in this forum.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
In the story it states some bought a second vehicle in anticipation of the buyback.

Sorry but I learned a long time ago, do not count your chickens before they hatch.
You wait until you have a check in hand before buying a new one. I suspect some wanted end of year deals and jumped the gun. That is fine, but don't blame VW because you have TWO car payments you can't afford...
This is the one that floors me. I just can't wrap my head around parking a functioning vehicle with a car payment, running out and taking out another car loan, and running with car notes when you have no idea when you'll get out of the first one.

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI

LOL and exactly how is this different from the greater "news" media at large?? There are many such sources that make up that cadre. And everything reported today regardless of source is heavily injected with opinion. Very very very few true journalists left anymore.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
LOL and exactly how is this different from the greater "news" media at large?? There are many such sources that make up that cadre. And everything reported today regardless of source is heavily injected with opinion. Very very very few true journalists left anymore.
Exactly. Go on CNN, Fox News, etc. On any day of the week...even their "hard" journalism pieces are sprinkled with snippets from some celebrity trash hags $h1tter, FaceSpace, etc. page.

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
This is the one that floors me. I just can't wrap my head around parking a functioning vehicle with a car payment, running out and taking out another car loan, and running with car notes when you have no idea when you'll get out of the first one.
While I agree in principle and would never do this myself, one could make the argument that timelines WERE known and expectations WERE known. It's called a lawsuit and the details were specified within. Today, we know the timelines aren't being enforced so would be completely irresponsible TODAY for anyone going out and obligating themselves to another car payment they can't afford before getting rid of their TDI. At the beginning of this, when the lawsuit was finalized, everyone had a reasonable expectation of timelines.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
If funds are tight I 100% agree with you, don't.

But if you can swing the second note, it's a bit like looking for a job, where it's best to be employed while looking. It's an excellent bargaining chip, not to mention model year closeouts don't happen on VW's buyback schedule.

Plus I'd hate to wreck the TDI, not when VW's offering $12k more than blue book. It's risk mitigation to park it.

FWIW I'm not one of the complainers. The Buyback will happen when it happens.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
While I agree in principle and would never do this myself, one could make the argument that timelines WERE known and expectations WERE known. It's called a lawsuit and the details were specified within. Today, we know the timelines aren't being enforced so would be completely irresponsible TODAY for anyone going out and obligating themselves to another car payment they can't afford before getting rid of their TDI. At the beginning of this, when the lawsuit was finalized, everyone had a reasonable expectation of timelines.
There was a proposed timeline. Expectations...if you set them VERY low, it's difficult to come away disappointed.

I'm not sure why anyone thought that at some point, VW would start doing what they were supposed to. The only way they'll get through this buyback process is with the court dragging them kicking and screaming all the way through.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
At the beginning of this, when the lawsuit was finalized, everyone had a reasonable expectation of timelines.
Supposing VW were strictly following the timelines, it could easily be another three months before someone's car would be bought back. If someone bought another car on the assumption that theirs would be bought back by now (or, indeed, by the end of the year), their expectations weren't based in even the stated time limits, much less in what seems to be actually happening.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
No, there was an agreed, court-ordered (by way of approving the agreement) timeline.
That's kind of my point. VW knew that the judge wasn't going to jam them up over them flaking on the court-ordered timeline, so they aren't sweating it.

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
There was a proposed timeline. Expectations...if you set them VERY low, it's difficult to come away disappointed.

I'm not sure why anyone thought that at some point, VW would start doing what they were supposed to. The only way they'll get through this buyback process is with the court dragging them kicking and screaming all the way through.
No there was a timeline stated in the lawsuit. It wasn't a suggestion.

Supposing VW were strictly following the timelines, it could easily be another three months before someone's car would be bought back. If someone bought another car on the assumption that theirs would be bought back by now (or, indeed, by the end of the year), their expectations weren't based in even the stated time limits, much less in what seems to be actually happening.
Of course. My assumption would have been that they knew what the time potentially could be and responsibly incurred the debt accordingly. But that wasn't my point.

I was simply trying to make the point that this is not the same situation where one has NO inkling or expectation of timeline but incurring debt based on some "guess" or hope. Thats what is entirely foolish. But that timelines are specified in the lawsuit makes such a decision.....somewhat understandable and less foolish - at least if it were done before we knew the reality that the timelines are not being enforced (and they paid attention to the actual timelines and acted accordingly). Still a dumb thing to do. No argument there. I would not do anything of the sort until the money was confirmed to be in my bank account.

Last edited:

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
That's kind of my point. VW knew that the judge wasn't going to jam them up over them flaking on the court-ordered timeline, so they aren't sweating it.
The point of this was about someone incurring additional debt before having the funds in their hand first - not anything about whether VW knew anything about what the judge was going to do. The person incurring the debt would not know that. (and btw how would you know that?). We all know that now based on what has transpired but no one knew this when the lawsuit was finalized.