this doesn't make sense - OD rollback 2001 Golf TDI

droptiks

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen (Tornado Red)
hi everyone,

I am looking at a remote purchase of a 2001 Golf TDI with 67KM and I am already leaning toward something not aligning right between the milage and condition, but I wanted to get everyone's opinion.

It's a single owner car and the carfax shows no damage, and no service history. Not uncommon in Canada. I can't hook of my VCDS and the inspection report didn't include any milage record.

However, the milage doesn't seem to match the condition. Fender rust, e-brake needs replacement, AC doesn't work. It could have sat outside for months at a time so that does put wear on a car but would above items fail by 67Km?

If it's not unusual I'll contact a VW dealer and see if I can get a vehicle recall history just to show some milage record.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I don't think it seems correct personally. I would go with my first instinct if I were you.
The ECU and the cluster could have been changed.
In the USA mileage is recorded at the DMV, so it would seem the Canadian motor vehicle department would keep KM records

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

mjez

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
Let's not forget we're talking about a 20 year old vehicle. If it was exposed to salt during winter then I wouldn't be surprised that it rusts and E-brake doesn't function, I wouldn't be surprised if it had other issues because of salt exposure. Also, where I live DMV doesn't record mileage since passenger diesels are exempt from emission testing. If it's a good deal I would go with vcds and do mileage check. I used to be in car business and you wouldn't believe some of the low mileage cars that I've seen at the auction.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

droptiks

TDI
I pulled the DMV record and it only shows the original purchaser but no other records and no emission test records for the car.

Buying remote so can't hook up the VCDS. Good deal but having never had a car with rust (even imported my last car from AZ to avoid it) learning that rust can kill a e-brake cable makes me wonder what else might go wrong.

I'll call a local dealer tomorrow and see what history might be in the system.

mjez

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
Where is this car located? Maybe one of the members here could take a look at it for you.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
I pulled the DMV record and it only shows the original purchaser but no other records and no emission test records for the car.
Buying remote so can't hook up the VCDS. Good deal but having never had a car with rust (even imported my last car from AZ to avoid it) learning that rust can kill a e-brake cable makes me wonder what else might go wrong.
I'll call a local dealer tomorrow and see what history might be in the system.
Seems it should have been in for at least ONE recall in its life...

BigAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 A3
Does it have 'TOTAL' showing on the odo? Or maybe this was just a mk3 hallmark?

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I don't think it seems correct personally. I would go with my first instinct if I were you.
The ECU and the cluster could have been changed.
In the USA mileage is recorded at the DMV, so it would seem the Canadian motor vehicle department would keep KM records

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
In my state they only ask for mileage if it's less than 100k, otherwise they don't care.

Cant remember for sure, but isn't there a way to see total miles/kms through VCDS in the engine controller?

Even if it really does have that few of miles on it, I'd still treat it like any other car, because rubber does dry rot as it ages and other things don't hold up to time well. Especially if it sat with poor diesel in it, the pump or injectors could have started rusting from the inside out.

While uncommon, cars like this do exist. When I bought my 1988 f250 diesel in 2011, it only had 73k original miles on it. Bought it from the original owner.

BigAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 A3
A decent tell tale are the clutch, brake and accelerator pedal rubber covers - 67,000km which is just over 40,000 miles. They should look very good - shouldn't be much wear from lots of clutching and braking in 40,000 miles...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If the car wasn't washed regularly or garaged the rust and e-brake issues aren't surprising. It will also probably need brakes, perhaps calipers.

What I'd also be concerned about is the 20 year old timing belt system. If you want to start the car I'd do it before I buy it. And I wouldn't drive it anywhere until the belt service is complete.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I got my first Cummins off its original owner. This was SE PA, and the truck was 10 years old with 101k on it. It was rusty in places I did not know had places...its primary duty was hauling sleds in the winter, and it sat a lot of the rest. Salt is NFG for steel...:)
cheers,
Douglas

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
However, the milage doesn't seem to match the condition. Fender rust, e-brake needs replacement, AC doesn't work. ...
You have hit that one. There's a couple of ways you can re-do the mileage such as a cluster replacement. I am sure with the right tool you can re-write the odo in the ECU as well as the cluster, so figure you have a car with bogus information.

I'd run away from this. The real car might not even exist.

Cheers,

PH

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Mileage rollback on VWs is SUPER easy, especially on MK4s...now if you had vag commander, you could connect and see what the ECU mileage is, unless they changed that too, but as you said, you're not local to the car

Sounds suspect, but hey if it's something like 1000 bucks, even 1500, maybe it's worthwhile to take a gamble if your up for adventures. I wouldn't pay more then that for a car sight unseen, with the condition you describe, even if it is a real 67000km... a mint condition 67000km mk4, different story

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
As someone mentioned above, post what the location is and see if a member here might be willing to take a look for you.
Having just purchased a car remotely....even if you offer/pay someone $50 to do that, it'd be money well-spent.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
A rusty mk4 doesn't sound like a BC car... if it's in Ontario by chance, I may just go look at it for fun

droptiks

TDI
thanks for all the feedback. Yes, not a BC car but an ON car.

I got a copy of the Ontario Vehicle Information for the car and it showed 72K in 2019 which the owner said was a typo given that the car now has 67K.

Decided against looking at the car further as shipping is now running over $1500 to bring it from Ontario to BC. I've brought out cars for less than $700 so perhaps covid related. $4k for the car isn't too bad if it really is low milage but too much overhead for me.

Looks like the seller has pulled the autotrader ad but if anyone in Woodridge ON want's to take a look at it you can pull a PDF copy of the original ad from https://www.dropbox.com/s/nikb0mwwoza37c0/2001%20Volkswagen%20Golf%204dr%20HB%20GLS%20TDI%20Auto%20-%20Woodbridge.pdf?dl=0

and DM me and I'll share the owner's email.

Cheers,
Steve

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh yeah - $4K for an unseen Mk4 that has some serious question marks ("no really - it's a typo; did I say 72...I meant 62...wait, no...67...yeah, that's it...you know how a 2 sometimes looks like a 7..." :rolleyes:).

Besides, I'd take a LMR BC car with 250K over an Ontario car with (supposedly) 100K any day of the week. Find one with a sound body but maybe a failing 01M for $1500-$2000, spend $1500 to fix it up with 5sp. swap, injectors, suspension refresh...and then enjoy the ride!
(Full disclosure: I may be partial to this plan because this mirrors pretty much exactly what I did this past spring...albeit for less "fix up" financial outlay because I had most of the big stuff kicking around the garage).

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
In Ontario you record your mileage when you renew your sticker so you can put in whatever you want...

The car isn't far from me but I'm not gonna waste my time as I doubt its got 67k and I wouldn't bother with shipping

Like nuje said, a 250k bc car is probably better then a 100k Ontario car

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
https://york.craigslist.org/pts/d/new-cumberland-2002-vw-golf-tdi/7153122269.html

Better off with something like this. A pretty good ask, but car certainly looks clean,
and this neck of the woods, it stands a good chance of being
rust free. I paid a bit more for mine 4yrs ago, did the manual tranny swap,
etc etc, lol, check my list of mods. Put too much into it? Ayup, but after
60k miles, I'd do it all again.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
https://york.craigslist.org/pts/d/new-cumberland-2002-vw-golf-tdi/7153122269.html

Better off with something like this. A pretty good ask, but car certainly looks clean,
and this neck of the woods, it stands a good chance of being
rust free. I paid a bit more for mine 4yrs ago, did the manual tranny swap,
etc etc, lol, check my list of mods. Put too much into it? Ayup, but after
60k miles, I'd do it all again.
OP is on the west coast of canada...this car is east coast usa...

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
OP is on the west coast of canada...this car is east coast usa...

Last I checked BC is a long way from ON. Now with current border
restrictions I can't get to ON from PA. Fly YVR to PHL , and then drive back,
provided the OP is Canadian, should be able to get back in to BC.

Doable.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Last I checked BC is a long way from ON. Now with current border
restrictions I can't get to ON from PA. Fly YVR to PHL , and then drive back,
provided the OP is Canadian, should be able to get back in to BC.

Doable.
It's a lot easier shipping/driving/flying intra canada with all the restrictions in place then it is going to the usa and having to deal with restrictions,delays, import fees (everything takes alot longer to process)

There's a good reason why the borders are still closed

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
"There's a good reason why the borders are still closed"

Won't argue that point, I'd feel a lot safer sitting in the middle of the St Lawrence at my cottage.
2 miles of open water to the border, can I get there legally? No.

On the referenced ad? There are still the occasional TDIs that pop up, but
finding a rust free low mileage one is getting tougher and tougher.
I'd suggest you really have to get out of the snow belts to find them, ie, go South.

Depends on how much trouble, time, effort and money the OP is
willing to invest in one. The unicorns still exist in the wild, but they are endangered.

droptiks

TDI
Definitely prefer a car like Rrusse11 posted. Only owned a MK6 for over a year now so I am still learning how to read diesel milages vs. gasoline engines. If it wasn't for the 14 day quarantine upon return it would be worth looking south right now.

Car is going to be project car with my daughter as she wants to create a North American GTD so really just need a good base car that isn't too expensive. TDI's demand top dollar here in BC.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Maybe look for a 2.0L (those are pretty cheap around these parts) and do a conversion. :)