This didn't come off of my car...right?

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
I was driving along today, and heard a small tap sound, quickly followed by a scraping sound. I pulled over and found the following item kind of wedged in the rear passenger wheel well, dragging on the road:

I suspect it may be a part of a wiper blade from another car that was on the road, and just got kicked up into my wheel well, but I'm still worried. Unreasonably so, perhaps, but still worried.

Can anyone identify this item by its picture?

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Interesting.

Although my piece is curved, has cutout features on both ends, and some hole thing in the middle, I do see the resemblance.

I'm not 100% convinced of what exactly it is, but I'm starting to feel more comfortable that it isn't some critical component.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
I'm not 100% convinced of what exactly it is, but I'm starting to feel more comfortable that it isn't some critical component.
A critical component, like a tire or brakes?

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
A critical component, like a tire or brakes?
Well, I say it somewhat tongue-in-cheek (I have since driven 50 miles no problem), but it's conceivable that it would be some kind of bracket or brace. I don't have a lot of experience with car parts, so I thought I'd check.

I'd like to think that most everything that is on a car to begin with has some purpose, so anything that falls off should be concerning.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
You may, at some time, want to jack up the rear, remove both wheels and give a close look to each side.

you did not post a length, or any dimension, so it is hard to speculate what it could be.

unless you have a nice, heated garage, it probably can wait a while.