This company cleans our DPF's!

mrmmacd77

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Premium
That's a nice find... Hopefully by the time I actually need a cleaning there will be similar companies closer to MA...

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I had assumed that somebody would figure out how to do this. It's good to know that it is now possible to do this. Now all we need to do is to figure out how to reset the ECU (with VCDS, I assume) so that it knows that we now have a "new" DPF. I wonder what the turn around time will be.

Have Fun!

Don

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I had assumed that somebody would figure out how to do this. It's good to know that it is now possible to do this. Now all we need to do is to figure out how to reset the ECU (with VCDS, I assume) so that it knows that we now have a "new" DPF. I wonder what the turn around time will be.

Have Fun!

Don
Don, I imagine that a reset is absolutely in there somewhere, because if a dealer did a DPF replacement, they would need to do a "reset" also. Perhaps someone from Ross Tech could chime in with an answer.... :confused:

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
I am by no means an expert, but this is my two cents.....
The ECU is taking readings from the exhaust system. A new DPF (empty DPF) would provide or send back different readings than a full/clogged DPF, thus the DPF settings/readings would indicate as such and the car will adapt accordingly. Did that make sense?
Cleaning out a DPF or replacing the DPF will generate new readings and I'm sure the ECU will realize this. You might have to use VAGCOM to clear any codes associated with DPF issues, but my guess is the car (ECU) will figure it out.
When you remove or disconnect the battery, some of the "idiot lights" come on, but quickly go out after the car runs for a minute or two. I would think the same would occur after changing/cleaning the DPF.

mrmmacd77

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Premium
I am by no means an expert, but this is my two cents.....
The ECU is taking readings from the exhaust system. A new DPF (empty DPF) would provide or send back different readings than a full/clogged DPF, thus the DPF settings/readings would indicate as such and the car will adapt accordingly. Did that make sense?
Cleaning out a DPF or replacing the DPF will generate new readings and I'm sure the ECU will realize this. You might have to use VAGCOM to clear any codes associated with DPF issues, but my guess is the car (ECU) will figure it out.
When you remove or disconnect the battery, some of the "idiot lights" come on, but quickly go out after the car runs for a minute or two. I would think the same would occur after changing/cleaning the DPF.
This.... ^^^^^ I have to agree 100% with this.. clear the code and away you go.. the ECU should be intellegent enough to read the soot lvls again..

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
VCDS allows for Basic Settings of DPFs, or something of that nature. All the diesel cars so equipped do.

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
I just was looking thru the self study program 826803 to try and determine the DPF replacement issue. It seems that, as MacBuckeye surmised, that the sensors, particularily the exhaust pressure sensor, would read the low pressure state of an newly cleaned DPF and make the ECU happy. However, I am unsure of how the two pre-programmed soot load models in the ECU would impact things....

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
Cost???

If I have to take the DPF out, I'm likely to replace it with a down pipe & DPF delete tune rather than paying to have it cleaned...

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
Cleanig will certainly be less than replacement, and likely less than a DPF-delete downpipe and tune. The big question is how you view your responsibility on the impact on air quality by doing a DPF delete.

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI 2006 Dodge Ram
I don't think the car will "know" you have a cleaned or new DPF. I did some reading somewhere and found that the ecm tracks 2 different things. One is soot level. This can be detected by the sensors and along with a time interval is used to determine when regens occur. The second thing tracked by the ecm is the ash load. This is CALCULATED by run hours and number/ length of regens. This last parameter, being a calculation is not sensed and will need to be reset manually when the DPF has been determined to have reached it's capacity for ash load.

Henkell

TDI
2000 Jetta, 2009 Loyalty, 2014 Jetta Premium
Any new info on this thread?
I looked within my vagcom and found the manual regen at location 13 and also a reset for a new DPF or main computer at location 15.

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Hmmm... a "reset" button for the DPF??? Sounds tempting!
:eek:
I wonder what a smog / exhaust test would tell us if you compared 3 cars...
1) a Pre - clean diesel TDI (before 2009 models)
2) a 2009+ TDI
3) a 2009+ TDI with a DPF delete and tune?
I bet #3 wouldn't be any "dirtier" than #1. Anyone care to guess? AND if #3 isn't any worse or is the same as #1, a DPF delete and tune would be my choice once my DPF clogs up.

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
That's a false premise Mac. It may not be dirtier than the older cars, but is still FSCKING DIRTY. As an asthmatic with particulate sensitivity, I can't let that slide without comment.

I800C0LLECT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta & Passat
How do you fair with all the asbestos in the brake pads? I'm not against dpf's or clean diesels but I think it's silly to single them out vs. all the other contributors.

jblack11

TDI
'13 Golf TDI 6MT
I wonder what a smog / exhaust test would tell us if you compared 3 cars...
1) a Pre - clean diesel TDI (before 2009 models)
2) a 2009+ TDI
3) a 2009+ TDI with a DPF delete and tune?
I bet #3 wouldn't be any "dirtier" than #1. Anyone care to guess? AND if #3 isn't any worse or is the same as #1, a DPF delete and tune would be my choice once my DPF clogs up.
My thought process exactly!

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
How do you fair with all the asbestos in the brake pads? I'm not against dpf's or clean diesels but I think it's silly to single them out vs. all the other contributors.
Asbestos has been banned from brake pads for years now, IIRC.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Interesting - I remembered that it was sometime in the late '80s that a ban had gone into effect; didn't know it had been overturned.

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
One of the problems people are going to have if they are thinking about getting the DPF cleaned out is the timing of it. It's not like waiting to change your oil or DSG fluid. Since there doesn't appear to be any solid history as to when the DPF clogs up, you have to guess on when the best time would be to take it to a shop and have it cleaned out. You could end up taking it in prematurely. And if you wait too long, then potentially you might have to have your car towed to the shop.

What "warning" signs do we have that the DPF is almost full? Excessive regens? If the DPF light comes on is there a certain amount of time before the car would go into limp-mode?

jay_fyp

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT 2004 Jetta TDI (PD) 5mt R.I.P - 2013 Golf TDI 6mt - 2004 Golf TDI (PD) 5MT
One of the problems people are going to have if they are thinking about getting the DPF cleaned out is the timing of it. It's not like waiting to change your oil or DSG fluid. Since there doesn't appear to be any solid history as to when the DPF clogs up, you have to guess on when the best time would be to take it to a shop and have it cleaned out. You could end up taking it in prematurely. And if you wait too long, then potentially you might have to have your car towed to the shop.
What "warning" signs do we have that the DPF is almost full? Excessive regens? If the DPF light comes on is there a certain amount of time before the car would go into limp-mode?
You can check your ash load via vagcom I believe.

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf
Any new info on this thread?
I looked within my vagcom and found the manual regen at location 13 and also a reset for a new DPF or main computer at location 15.
This is interesting... wondering if a used DPF were installed and the reset was toggled if it would come back with the ash load starting from zero or would it give its best guess based on the monitored sensors...?