Thinner oil = more noticeable turbo whine?

prblue

TDI
Golf V 2005 4motion 2.0 TDI BKD 103kW
This is a car with 190k km or 115k miles on the clock. Amongst many other bits on the list to fix there is this turbo whine I started noticing after my first oil change. (now I'm on third) I've always only used the correct 5w-30 oil with the relevant vag number. I don't know for sure, but I think the previous owner may have been using 10w-40 as it looked a lot thicker during the first change.

I recently had an issue with the intercooler pipe coming loose so after cleaning and reconnecting everything I went for a ride today to test it. I specifically wanted to test if the pipe clamp holds under boost so I kept accelerating and decelerating all the time from a min after starting the car (there is freezing temperatures outside now so it only got warm good 5minutes later).

The power felt good, I could hear no turbo whine at all, until temperature approached the normal working temp. From then on every time I accelerated hard I could hear the whine. Its not a siren, but it is noticeable. I thought the pipe came off a bit again, so I went home without heavy acceleration. However the pipe seems fine. It didn't move a mm.

So now I wonder. Could thicker oil(put in by the used car seller) cause this turbo whine to dissappear?

Second, is it possible for the diverter valve to start going bad, but still provide good boost?

Finally, if thicker oil fixes that whine, is there any harm in using thicker oil (let's say 10w-40) in this car? Of course I know what vw recommends, but those recommendations are for cars that are not 18 years old and done 115k miles. What oil do you use in your 100k miles + (160k + km) tdi?

prblue

TDI
Golf V 2005 4motion 2.0 TDI BKD 103kW
Just run a 5w40. Any 5w40
I might do that. Pity I haven't thought about it before my last oil change few months ago. I would prefer not to have to replace this "still almost new" oil. So I'll be researching some additives for until time comes to replace it. If anyone has any suggestions let me know please.