Thinking of getting a Cruze diesel

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
My 2004 has 326K miles and I will be getting rid of it soon

I have a nice offer from GM card for $3000 off any GM model and thinking of rolling the dice on a Cruize diesel

For the record, I never had anything than VWs before

Any opinions ?

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
That would make the cruise much more correct in pricing. Just negotiate the price first then pull out the extra 3000 offer. Provided there's not fine print on the offer such as that's only 3k off msrp.

B00ST00

TDI
14' SE 6spd
Test drove the cruze while car shopping. It was nice but I settled on a Passat for size reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cerisecons

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
What the hell? No manual trans in the diesel? :confused:

Correct. Major turn-off. Frappa-mocha-latte-cellphone-text.
You must be talking about the cruise, as the VW does, just harder to find. I followed boosts same logic, looked at the cruise and went Passat TDI for size, and transmission, I'm not a fan of the slush box, and the DSG is superb, almost chose the manual but the DSG won.

KpaxFAQ

TDI
2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel
The auto TDIs at my local dealer outnumbered manuals 3 to 1

Tdiclub is a nitche sub demographic of diesel passenger cars . I drive 18 speeds and operate heavy equipment all day. Ill take a slushbox for the ride home! :)

To each their own, its great vw caters to the enthusiasts! If they never made em manual you guys would probably be ripping out the autos and fitting manuals in!

Last edited:

B00ST00

TDI
14' SE 6spd
While researching the cruze I believe I read that it is offered over seas with a manual just not in the states. The auto that is in the cruze is supposed to be a very solid unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
The auto TDIs at my local dealer outnumbered manuals 3 to 1

Tdiclub is a nitche sub demographic of diesel passenger cars . I drive 18 speeds and operate heavy equipment all day. Ill take a slushbox for the ride home! :)

To each their own, its great vw caters to the enthusiasts! If they never made em manual you guys would probably be ripping out the autos and fitting manuals in!
Yep, there were 6 JSWs at my dealer and only 1 was a manual. It had a sunroof and black interior, neither of which I wanted. They had to drive mine in from 326 miles away. I didn't take a count on the other TDIs on the lot.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
the manual would have been nice
I drove an Opel diesel two years ago in Germany with a 6 speed manual, cruising at 140 mph

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
My 2004 has 326K miles and I will be getting rid of it soon

I have a nice offer from GM card for $3000 off any GM model and thinking of rolling the dice on a Cruize diesel

For the record, I never had anything than VWs before

Any opinions ?
Since it doesn't have our chronic HPFP problem (Chevy avoided the Bosch CP4.1 and used the Bosch CP1H instead), I'd say:

GO FOR IT !!!!!!!!!!!

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Very low-key advertising for the Cruze diesel around here. I've only seen 2 on lots around here(different dealers). I hear ya about shifting-it's nice to stomp and go every once in awhile...... have you checked to see if there are any Cruze diesels on Fuelly?

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
I know this sounds silly but I just can't get past the name.
I mean, if you're going to make up a word for the name of your product then go ahead and make up a NEW word. Don't just make up a new spelling and then pronounce it exactly the same as an existing word.
Cruise... fine by me.
Cruz... also fine by me as it's Spanish.
Cruze... not so much. I don't think that's a word in any language.
That's not branding, it's poor spelling. Same thing with the 'Prizm'.

Nice enough car though.

Max Period

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Comfortline
Practically every transit bus, in North America at least, have slushboxes. (Unless it's a diesel hybrid)

Motorcoaches too (mostly Allison B500R), but some MCI's with ZF 12-speed AMTs do exist. In the late 90's I rode a few motorcoaches with manual tranmsissions, but I think they' dont exist anymore.

Allison B400/B500Rs keeps their torque converter locked up at speeds above 18.5 MPH, or around 30 km/h.

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
Good luck with your Cruz. Good luck with your Passat. Good luck with your Jetta. Sad to see making car loan payments.

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
I mean, if you're going to make up a word for the name of your product then go ahead and make up a NEW word. Don't just make up a new spelling and then pronounce it exactly the same as an existing word.
Cruise... fine by me.

Nice enough car though.

Ever ride in a 10 second GMC Syclone? I was too busy grabbing the door panels to give a **** why GM spelled it like that.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Ever ride in a 10 second GMC Syclone? I was too busy grabbing the door panels to give a **** why GM spelled it like that.
I helped run an autocross series. A guy showed up in one of them. It was slow as hell and cornered like ****, but the clouds of smoke on every corner exit were fun :D

jayoldschool

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
Cruise... fine by me.

Nice enough car though.
Tell me about "Jetta"...

jayoldschool

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
Yeah, I found that on google, too. My point was that the guy who is criticizing the made up name "Cruze" is driving a car with a made up name ;)

Last edited:

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
So blowing hot air is not only a corporate customer relations guide for VW its a vehicle naming technique too.

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
Yeah, I found that on google, too. My point was that the guy who is criticizing the made up name "Cruze" is driving a car with a made up name ;)
Mad reading skillz yo.
I didn't criticize them for using a made up word. I criticized them for using a made up SPELLING of an existing word.

V-Rod

Veteran Member
TDI
2014, 06 Jetta TDI Auto
When I went to the chevy dealer to look at that new little diesle , I drove it then went to the VW dealer drove a Jetta there. Went home with the Jetta.

The VW DSG shifts so much nicer
The VW is quiter
The VW is Bigger
The cruize does have a nice Dash with lots of buttons and a nicer radio

Price ended up being the same. But I still like my 06 TDI best!!