Thinking of buying an 06 Jetta

dobeonguard

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDi
I found a 2006 Jetta TDI for sale at a GM dealer. It has 116k miles and looks straight. It is a 5 speed manual. So far, I have no history for the car. They are asking $10,900 for it. First, is this a fair price? Second, other than the very well known cam failures are there anything else that needs special attention? I apologize for not having too much time to search this out, I know the TDI sells fast. Will any particular test drive reveal a pending cam problem? I told the dealer I wanted to take it to someone to check it out and they were cool with it.

Thanks

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
If it doesn't sound like pebbles are in the tranny then the dual mass flywheel is OK. I would personally like to look at the cam lobes to make sure they are not eating through the lifters. Other than that it seems like a good deal. I'd keep a couple grand in the bank for a DMF and a possible cam job down the line but who knows it may make it to the second timing belt job which at that point I'd just replace the cam if you are going for 300K. Also, I'd ask to make sure the timing belt was done. If not it's overdue and you could negotiate based on that service cost. Once you get the car have an RC1+ tune and be happy. Run a CI4 5w-40 full synthetic oil like Mobil 1 TDT to mitigate cam wear and motor on.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
Take the price of new cam, lifters and timming belt off the price etc. Some $3000.00 PLUS, other wise get a TDI with the ALH they are a better diesel. Had one a 2001 Jetta ALH with 512,000 k`s on it and gave to one of my kids and now has better the 530 on it and still going strong, I should have keep it as my 2006 BRM cam failed and new one installed along with both cooling fans as they failed too. The cooling fans on the BRM`s last only about 5 years and fail. The cooling fans on the ALH are a much better made fan and last. The 2006 are a better handing car but the fuel mileage is not as good as the ALH due to the fact that the 2006 cars are much heavier then the 2001 ALH. For fuel mileage I would get 1100 plus km on my old Alh and now on the BRM I am lucky to get 900 to 950 per tank and I drove the ALH much harder too. Use what ever engine oil but the BRM cam will still go south in time. Sorry my 2 cents or 1, but the BRM`s really suck.

Last edited: