Thinking about these headlights for my TDi Cup Edition

erikm

TDI
2010 TDi Cup Edition Jetta
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Will these headlighs be basically plug and play? I assume I'll need the Euro Headlight switch, the 10 pin to 12 pin adapter and some coding changes. I have a Vag-Com but just wanted to double check before I purchase these.

Also, ECS is backordered on the 12-10 pin adapter harness. Does anyone know another source for these?

Any help with the coding changes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Erik​

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
No, you do not need the euro switch.

Yes, you will need the 10 - 12 pin adapter and coding changes to your CECM.

As far as the adapters, you could build it yourself. You will need 2 each of the female 10 pin connector housings, the male 12 pin connector housings, and the appropriate wire terminals for each housing.

As far as the coding changes, I am of no help on the '10 models as they are slightly different from my '09.

rustytrumbone

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, Black, DSG
I have a Cup Edition and had the OEM 2009 Jetta Projector/HID headlights professionally installed. I ordered the parts from Germany. They look great, but there is a problem. The module update for the 2010 Jetta cars use the same electronics as the 2011 cars. (which I am told is a huge upgrade that helps other stuff on the car) The problem is in the ability to use the high beam shutter. Right now, it does not work. I have not had the time to look further into it, but I understand there is a way to activate it. The dealer that installed the headlights in Chicago is one of the largest in the US, and the tried everything they could to get it working. On a side note, the projector HID headlights are brighter with the low beam then the halogen on high beam, so go figure.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Rusty,

The OEM Xenons do work do pretty good, Don't they? You oughta see how good they are with the Bi-Xenon flap open AND the halogen high beams activated. It truly is amazing.

As why your Bi-Xenon flaps aren't operating, it can only be one of two scenarios.

Either your "professional" shop did not run the trigger wire from the headlight to the CECM or the "Xenon with shutter" function was not activated in the CECM.

Or both.

The trigger wire is necessary if you want to Bi-Xenon shutter to work.

rustytrumbone

TDI
I was gracious in my acknowledgment and use of the word "professional". I was told this was the best mechanic they have and he has VW experience dating back to the 70's, but he was not well informed as to the workings in this modification. The install looks nice, and he did not scratch the new car, so I'm at least grateful about that.

He said there was no way to connect the 2010 module to the "2009" OEM HID headlights. I got the wiring and levelers from TM Tuning, and even had a German friend communicate with them to try and solve this issue. They could not understand why a VW mechanic could not get this done.

There is no trigger wire connected because he said there is no place in the module for it to go. I have no idea of this is true or not. My electrical engineer buddy said there has to be a way, and that the 2010 Jetta sold in Europe had these headlights available from the factory. I just need to know what to do and I will have it done.

Have you done this to your Cup Car?

Thanks!

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I don't have a Cup car.

I have the regular 09 Jetta TDI sedan.

I remember seeing this thread in the upgrade section regarding installing OEM Bi-Xenons, LED tails and fogs into a '10 sedan. After reading the thread, it appears he also upgraded the CECM.

So it is possible in your car, but you will have to upgrade the module as he did.

But atleast you have xenon low beams and halogen high beams, Right?

Here's the thread I was talking about:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=303785

rustytrumbone

TDI
Can't believe it! Someone has done it.............and he's in NY. That's great. Thanks very much for the help. I will keep you posted on the progress.

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Will these headlighs be basically plug and play? I assume I'll need the Euro Headlight switch, the 10 pin to 12 pin adapter and some coding changes. I have a Vag-Com but just wanted to double check before I purchase these.

Also, ECS is backordered on the 12-10 pin adapter harness. Does anyone know another source for these?

Any help with the coding changes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Erik
Yep, nothing better than E-Bay Crap, especially at 1,300 U.S. Dollars.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Tim,

If that is the same Boraparts that we all know here as Aaron AKA BleachedBora (and it certainly appears to be), then what he is listing there is certainly not crap. If he says they are OEM european xenons, then I am sure that's what they are and they are WELL worth $1,300.

ALTHOUGH, if someone is masquerading as Boraparts then it could be complete crap.

The buyer would have to do his own research by contacting Aaron through TDIClub to find out if that is actually his ebay listing.

If it is someone masquerading as Aaron, then they certainly went through A LOT of trouble to set up the profile and pull off one hell of a fake.

Last edited:

nhdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GLS NB TDI 5 Speed
You might think about trying the Sylvania SU Silverstar H7 bulbs in the stock housing before upgrading radically. The downside to them is they tend not to last as long as standard bulbs but at $35 a pair you could change them every few months and never spend as much as you would on new headlights. They do improve the output substantially. I have had both HID and Halogen headlights on cars and can't really say the HID were worth a huge outlay, but that's me. If you are doing it for the look of the new headlights then obviously my advice isn't right, but if you are doing it to improve the performance, you do get a lot of bang for $35 putting in the silverstars.