Thinking about selling my B4

kenluvkittays

TDI
1996 VW Passat TDI
Thinking about selling my 1996 Passat TDI. Just have too many projects going on right now. It has an engine rebuild with only about 20k miles on it. Mechanically it is sound, has some cosmetic damage that I've been working on. Bought it from a family friend who was the original owner and it has all maintenance records all the way back to 96. Would anyone be interested or can you guys give me an idea on what I should ask for it/absolute lowest I should take if I do in fact decide to sell it.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Have any photos? Cosmetics are important in coming up with a value, as paint/bodywork/interior repairs can get expensive fast.

I'll be interested in what folks here say about value. Sadly, I think B4 values (especially sedans) are at a low point as the cars are in that transition from old to collectable. And I'm not sure they'll ever be collectable. I keep mine because I don't think it has much value and because, well, I like it.

kenluvkittays

TDI
1996 VW Passat TDI
Have any photos? Cosmetics are important in coming up with a value, as paint/bodywork/interior repairs can get expensive fast.

I'll be interested in what folks here say about value. Sadly, I think B4 values (especially sedans) are at a low point as the cars are in that transition from old to collectable. And I'm not sure they'll ever be collectable. I keep mine because I don't think it has much value and because, well, I like it.
That's honestly what I figured. Parts are pretty hard to find too. I almost have all the parts I need and was planning on doing a lot of the body work myself and get it painted eventually but it's been very time consuming. I don't have any garage space left and there's definitely some pressure from the wife to start downsizing haha

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Looks pretty nice. Black ones aren't that common. How many miles on it total? How's the interior? Doors, windows, A/C work?

kenluvkittays

TDI
1996 VW Passat TDI
Looks pretty nice. Black ones aren't that common. How many miles on it total? How's the interior? Doors, windows, A/C work?
140k miles in total. all windows work, all doors but the back driver side. Interior is in pretty good shape, especially for being almost 25 years old. AC needs a recharge but the compressor kicks on so thats a good sign

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Pretty amazing mileage, for a diesel, that old. I recently bought a working B4 cluster with less than 115k on the odometer.... I couldn’t believe it. You figure people buy these to drive... like I should be talking, lol.

Did you change the hood or trunk lid? Curious why the paint on them isn’t burnt, like the roof.

Like ibw, I’ll likely be keeping mine since they show cosmetically well, run great, and I won’t pull much from a sale.

-Todd

kenluvkittays

TDI
1996 VW Passat TDI
Pretty amazing mileage, for a diesel, that old. I recently bought a working B4 cluster with less than 115k on the odometer.... I couldn’t believe it. You figure people buy these to drive... like I should be talking, lol.

Did you change the hood or trunk lid? Curious why the paint on them isn’t burnt, like the roof.

Like ibw, I’ll likely be keeping mine since they show cosmetically well, run great, and I won’t pull much from a sale.

-Todd
Sorry it's been a while since I've been on but that's awesome about the cluster! I would honestly figure the same thing as I'm yet to take mine on a serious trip far away.
Not too sure about the trunk lid and hood but I'm in close contact with the original owner so I'll be sure to ask.
Still keeping it for now but might post it and see what people would offer, definitely torn especially since I know no one will offer close to what my attachment is worth lol
Thanks for the replies,
-Kenny