Thinking about another TDI again.

Rickstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Thinking about another TDI again. GOT ONE!

It's been a while since I've sold my '98 Jetta.
I've started to think about getting another one. This time, I come to ask the hive for advice.
Should I go back to another '98 era or move up to a 99.5+?
Both have + & -.
I should mention, I'm on a budget. ;)

Last edited:

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
I am prejudiced so my recommendation is skewed. ALH, 2000-2003. I hear buzzing from others nearby...I am out of here...

bugget

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI GLS 2000
I agree with Kiwi actually. Both engines are so well known at this point that there will be no surprises. Both are very durable. Both are old enough that they should come in on your budget, so why not pick the newer of the two?

Rickstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
I agree with Kiwi actually. Both engines are so well known at this point that there will be no surprises. Both are very durable. Both are old enough that they should come in on your budget, so why not pick the newer of the two?
Get out of my head... :eek:
This is the way I've been leaning.
A couple of things I've learned with the older one: tires are harder to get, the ECM is more expensive to chip, as of now a '98 is considered really old.

What do I need to look for in a 99.5+ model?

bugget

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI GLS 2000
If I recall what I have been told correctly there were some very early 99.5s that couldn't be flashed via OBDII and you would have to pull the ECU. To me that wasn't really a big deal. Don't get an automatic unless you were going to upgrade to 6 speed manual right away anyways. The electronics have been known to get mad at certain after market stereos and log weird codes about bad dashboard components.

Recalls and how to tell if they have been done in the third post: jettajunkie.com/vw-jetta/showthread.php?9025-Recalls...

bugget

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI GLS 2000
Oh yeah, the pre 2003 glove box latch and hinges will probably break. Check to see if they have been replaced with 2003 models or other replacement parts that work.

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
I have both 2000 and 2003. I like the changes that evolved and showed up in the 2003. Brazilian made instead of German (but engines both German). The positive changes outweigh the negatives that do not show up in anything unless you count weak headliner glue. That could be a fact of the early life of the 2003 car in the East Coast environment. I would sure look in the PNW for a car. Too many surprises from those coming from more volatile winter environments, unless you happen to find one from someone who garaged it, did not drive it much in the winter and took some care and gave it maintenance.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I like both. I'd look for the best car you can find at the price you want to pay and be less concerned about whether it's an A3 or A4. With careful looking you may find an A3 that's a better value because of its age. Just watch for rust: it's consumed most of them by now.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Only way I could see owning an A3 now is if you stumbled across a cream puff that you could keep nice, and only drive in nice weather. They are just too prone to rust, you can't hardly get many pieces for them any more (Volkswagen has pretty much obsoleted the whole car now), and many of them now need a lot of these unobtainium bits and the salvage side isn't there anymore.

Really a shame, because they were a decent enough car. I loved mine. But the A4's platform really is a lot better. And I really think the ALH engine is overall better, and save for the goofy '99.5s, the improvements are all good. Parts are still available, too.

OnePutt

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf (Silver) | 2005 Jetta Wagon (Spice Red)
I'm going to throw in a vote for a 97 (if you can find one) because they don't need to be smog certified in CA.

I have 2 A4 (one ALH and one PD)...I'd go with ALH with 2003 being the last year before the PD if you decide on the A4 platform

Rickstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Ta-daa!

(cell phone pictures.... )
It's home!
2002 GLS
Black on black
5sp
This car is a cream puff!
I don't have enough room here to say how nice it is.
Why am I bragging so much?
Because it came with FULL RECORDS FROM 2006. Including oil changes.
Timing belt was even done 30K ago.
Tires have 28K on them... brakes... struts... etc.!

Rickstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Can I post my complaints here?

What's up with the radio? It sounds like crap. It says Monsoon on it.

Also... someone above mention the center arm rest? It was fine when I looked at the car before I bought but on the way home it moved around on me like it wasn't secured, maybe broken? Dunno.

Only two complaints for a 2002 car. Not bad.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Make sure the radio is coded correctly, there was a TSB about that some time ago. Of course, I wouldn't really give the Monsoon any special props anyways. My Monsoon system in my Passat doesn't really seem much better than the non-Monsoon system in my Golf, other than it has a bit more bass. But I am not an audiophile, and wouldn't bother with changing it. Yours may actually have something wrong. The radio can be diagnosed via the DLC.

OnePutt

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf (Silver) | 2005 Jetta Wagon (Spice Red)
Congrats.

These arm rests don't stand up too well to the test of time. There are a couple bolts that hold it in place that may have worked themselves loose, or could be a broken hinge or latch.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?958556

DLC - Data Link Connector or Diamond Like Coating. I'm sure he referencing the former. :)

Last edited:

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Minor warts have surfaced! Nice looking Jetta. Radio problemo...check out the antenna too. Is the sealing gasket intact? If not, or the whole thing has the look of general degradation from sun/rain, intervention may be called for. It may have corrosion below the base. Seen it, dealt with it. PITA but worth it for good reception.

aslspiderman

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
Hey Rick,

This is Mike. Your old 98 is still alive and kicking. At 245k now. I rebuilt the suspension, put in GLX seats and have done some other minor things to it. I still love it and have more plans than money right now. :D

Comfort wise I think you made the right choice. My 02 Jetta rides more comfortably and has more creature comforts, but I still like the looks of the A3 platform better.

Congats on your new TDI, post some pics when you get a chance. (oops, pics just came up for me, she is a beaut!)

Last edited:

Rickstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Hey Rick,
This is Mike. Your old 98 is still alive and kicking. At 245k now. I rebuilt the suspension, put in GLX seats and have done some other minor things to it. I still love it and have more plans than money right now. :D
Comfort wise I think you made the right choice. My 02 Jetta rides more comfortably and has more creature comforts, but I still like the looks of the A3 platform better.
Congats on your new TDI, post some pics when you get a chance. (oops, pics just came up for me, she is a beaut!)
Glad it's still on the road. I'd say that car is probably worth a small fortune on the east coast. I did miss it, that's why I went looking again. No A3s to be had anywhere. I did luck out with this '02 though. :D

Rickstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Congrats.

These arm rests don't stand up too well to the test of time. There are a couple bolts that hold it in place that may have worked themselves loose, or could be a broken hinge or latch.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?958556

DLC - Data Link Connector or Diamond Like Coating. I'm sure he referencing the former. :)
I checked the arm rest... back hinge is toast. The rest of it is still good.
Should I go Chinese or can I just replace the hinge? And where can I get one?

Rickstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Never mind... I just looked at the bottom again. Looks like a molded one piece unit.
Off to flea bay I go... for $16 shipped!

aslspiderman

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
Glad it's still on the road. I'd say that car is probably worth a small fortune on the east coast. I did miss it, that's why I went looking again. No A3s to be had anywhere. I did luck out with this '02 though. :D
Yup--gonna keep this one as long as I can. I sold a Tornado red 98 back in 06, regretted it every day. They are pretty rare down here too.

Enjoy your 02 :D

Rickstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Minor warts have surfaced! Nice looking Jetta. Radio problemo...check out the antenna too. Is the sealing gasket intact? If not, or the whole thing has the look of general degradation from sun/rain, intervention may be called for. It may have corrosion below the base. Seen it, dealt with it. PITA but worth it for good reception.
Got the radio sorted out. Antenna is GTG. The controls were so screwed up that after I went through each one the radio actual sounded good.
The AM side sucks! Out toward JBLM the reception is fair to crap. (depends on the sun spots?) Get closer in to Seattle and the reception gets better. Lame.
I have on order the armrest and a new key fob shell. :D
Minor things are acceptable.