Think the 3.0 buyback will go any smoother

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
Smaller class, "been there done that" experience? If it comes to it, he11 yeah.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
Pretty likely. The 3.0 folks will not be doing any buybacks for at least a month and a half (the 16th + a month or so for approval + whatever delays they come up with) so the early rush of 2.0 buybacks should be done by then.

az7000'

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (gone), 2014 Passat TDI (gone), 2014 Touareg TDI (Amazing!)
I hope the buybacks don't happen, we LOVE the TDI Touareg and looking forward to the decision this week. Since the wife got the 3.0 I get to use the settlement money for a new to me dirt bike!! I can only hope for an approved fix and since the net worth/cost/value is greater I hope for at least the same restitution as our 2.0's. After we buy the "unfix" tune that is...

ccbsecu

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Executive TDi
No....same people will be working through the tail end of the 2.0's....then adding the 3.0's onto this remaining number...

bird67

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI*
You've put that cart well ahead of the horse. Until we hear otherwise, the terms "buyback" and "3.0" do not belong in the same sentence except in the context of speculation.

We are scheduled to learn something 12/16/16...just as we were scheduled to learn something 11/30/16...and 11/3/16...in other words, you'd best not hold your breath.

jking11

TDI
14-Touareg & 14-Q5
I agree with Bird. I too am eager to hear what happens on Friday. However, I believe the answer is going to be that the parties either need more time to talk, or worse yet, they cannot agree and we move towards a trial. VW seems convinced that there is a fix for the 3.0's, though for years they didn't implement it on the new cars! I don't believe any fix will meet the environmental standards while keeping the advertised mpg and hp.

I continue to get emails from Kelly Blue Book about the value of my Touareg going down. The last one dropped another 2%. Right now, it's about 50% of sticker and it's a low mileage 2014. My wife's 3.0 Q5 Audi seems to be holding it's value a little better. I think most folks outside this forum won't go anywhere near a used VW diesel anymore.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
I agree with Bird. I too am eager to hear what happens on Friday. However, I believe the answer is going to be that the parties either need more time to talk, or worse yet, they cannot agree and we move towards a trial. VW seems convinced that there is a fix for the 3.0's, though for years they didn't implement it on the new cars! I don't believe any fix will meet the environmental standards while keeping the advertised mpg and hp.

I continue to get emails from Kelly Blue Book about the value of my Touareg going down. The last one dropped another 2%. Right now, it's about 50% of sticker and it's a low mileage 2014. My wife's 3.0 Q5 Audi seems to be holding it's value a little better. I think most folks outside this forum won't go anywhere near a used VW diesel anymore.
VW does not mix up well with trial in this case. There is not much to go to for a trial. VW cheated and admitted. The cars can't continue to run on the road in its current emission condition.

If that happens, it'll be defeated......miserably. And it'll be forced to buy back all the 3.0Ls.

Last edited:

bird67

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI*
December 16, 2016.

Will Breyer let the 3.0 can get kicked down the road yet again?

Stay tuned.

DrgRnnr

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
I have to believe we will get some sort of substantial news today on the 3.0's. I want to believe they will outline which cars will be eligible for buyback and if the terms will be similar to the 2.0 resolution.
Yeah I hope for a lot of things, but man I really want this info. I feel like I'm 7 years old again waiting in bed for Santa and I can hear rumble of a new four wheeler (ATV) outside. Will I wake up and see it with my name on it in the morning or will it be like last year and turn out to be my cousins new toy...

DrgRnnr

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
Yes. Playing the margin game. Since the 2.0's were confirmed gains I took those prospective dollars and started buying the Q's with the anticipation of a similar buyback. It's a very speculative buy, but all the info is out there pointing at this to be a worth while bet. At the end of the day I have some nice cars I could resell if I needed to and bought them all below, what I believe to be, TMV. Only time will tell and lots of thumb twiddling.

ccbsecu

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes. Playing the margin game. Since the 2.0's were confirmed gains I took those prospective dollars and started buying the Q's with the anticipation of a similar buyback. It's a very speculative buy, but all the info is out there pointing at this to be a worth while bet. At the end of the day I have some nice cars I could resell if I needed to and bought them all below, what I believe to be, TMV. Only time will tell and lots of thumb twiddling.
If today's news goes your way....

CHA CHING!!

az7000'

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (gone), 2014 Passat TDI (gone), 2014 Touareg TDI (Amazing!)
Very nice, and I felt like a baller hoping to turn $11k from the jetta, $8k from the Passat and whatever from the Touareg to pay down the $41k we financed for the 3.0. Again, nice haul and I do believe that the TDI 3.0 will be a unicorn of sorts. Good Luck!!

I'm twiddling away waiting for today's news!

ccbsecu

Veteran Member
TDI
I believe some Tom Foolery is afoot.....

My gut is telling me, 2013 and newer are about to get screwed.

bird67

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI*
Completely without any basis or facts to back this up, here's what I think is going on:

Over the past few weeks since the last hearing there have been hints that VW has a fix for the newer 3.0s and thus there is no need for a buyback. I believe those are orchestrated leaks by VW to shape public expectations. As they approached this new deadline, VW has taken the position in the negotiations that no buyback option for the newer 3.0s is necessary.

The class lawyers, hearing feedback from we 3.0 owners, are holding fast. They are insisting that any settlement include an option for all 3.0 buyers to opt for a buyback. They reason, aptly, that if the fix is as effective as VW claims without any adverse impact on performance or longevity, fewer 3.0 owners will opt for the buyout and instead choose the fix.

So, 3.0 owners, now is the time to let class counsel be heard that you want the option of a buyback, that a "fix" as the only option is not acceptable. Class counsel cares what we think - we are, after all, the constituency - and whatever VW offers us has to be enough to entice us to either "fix" our 3.0s or get them off the road through buy-back.

So you heard it hear first - quite possibly utterly wrong and certainly only speculation, but that's what VW gets for continuing to keep us in the dark!!

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I doubt that there are that many 3.0 TDI VW's out there. There are more Audi's than VW's and the Audi buyback is probably going smooth since it's only the A3 TDI's. If they can repair the 2.0 TDI and offer a buyback then they should offer a buyback on the 3.0 TDI. We have two 2014 3.0 TDI's and plan to keep them unless they give us some ridiculous amount for them. I purchased both below market value so anything over that is a profit.
With the JR Auto Tuning stage 2 tune mine is averaging 30 mpg (if I'm easy on it) in the city and 38 mpg on the highway. What other vehicle has the power of the 3.0 TDI with similar fuel economy?

Last edited:

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
Got a 2011 Q7 TDI Prestige....it's like crack, can't get enough.:)

House $.

ccbsecu

Veteran Member
TDI
I doubt that there are that many 3.0 TDI VW's out there. There are more Audi's than VW's and the Audi buyback is probably going smooth since it's only the A3 TDI's. If they can repair the 2.0 TDI and offer a buyback then they should offer a buyback on the 3.0 TDI. We have two 2014 3.0 TDI's and plan to keep them unless they give us some ridiculous amount for them. I purchased both below market value so anything over that is a profit.
With the JR Auto Tuning stage 2 tune mine is averaging 30 mpg (if I'm easy on it) in the city and 38 mpg on the highway. What other vehicle has the power of the 3.0 TDI with similar fuel economy?
BMW 335d:)

Actually, the 335d and X35d are even more tune friendly than a 3.0 TDi.