Think I should run a little diesel purge?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
With no windshield, tags, insurance or alignment to keep from eating these new tires I can't really take this rig for a spin. The BHW has sat for years. Approx 180k. Cam looks good. When driving it up on the tow dolly I noticed and smelled a good deal of diesel smoke every time I reved her. I hadn't done the torsion value since the timing belt or bs delete it install so I chalked up her lack of power to that. From cold 62 at start to approx 190 she's stuck at 2.5 which shouldn't smoke but then I noticed ain injection value at number 4. Before I dig into the head to check out an injector that cold be causing number 3 to run between -.5 to -.8 do you guys think I should run diesel purge through it? I've not had much experience with these injectors but I've heard they don't like sitting for long periods of time. Other than short sub ten min or less idle times, less than a dozen, I have not let it get up to normal operating temp until today. I'll set the torsion at about -1.5 to see if she feels any more peppy when I get home.

Last edited:

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll work on uploading the screen shot of vcds. Thought I had it

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I guess I inspected my other spare motor and not this one. I pulled the valve cover just for kicks and the first cam lobe looks like crap. Lots of material gone from the top of the lobe. The last lobe isn't terrible but sharp on the tip. Didn't bother turning the motor over to check the others. Seems a cam will be ordered in the next week or so. My top is on a 5 to 6 week back order so that will give me plenty of time to address this. Not going to say the cam is my only issue but she's not helping.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
It's killing me not to drive it. Nearly 2 years of work in this resto mod. She did smoke less after heat cycle and more power. 4.3 gears on 33 inch tires. 4 low is pretty decent for a mall crawler

Yetii

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 TDi Passat
I use 3oz of Power Service’s Diesel Kleen (silver bottle) on every fill up. If you’re looking for a full system cleaner (especially for the fuel tank if the car has been sitting) they sell Clear Diesel which I would recommend using then changing the fuel filter after the tank has been emptied. When installing new filter, prime it (prefill) new filter with a 50/50 mix of diesel and PS Diesel Kleen. If you buy a small 12oz bottle I believe it says the full bottle will do 20gallons for a extreme injector cleaning. Just put the rest of the bottle in the tank after making the 50/50 mix. Then just use as normal afterwards putting 3oz per full tank of diesel. I get better fuel economy and the engine runs great. I read that the pump diesel fuel (in America) doesn’t have a high enough cetane rating recommended for the VW TDis so this is a huge help.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
The fuel tank in the 4 runner was a gasser up until @ February when the tank was dropped, cleaned and then refilled with about 10 gallons of diesel. I will get some diesel Kleen. I just ordered my cam this weekend. I'll run it though when I get it installed for the break in.

The diesel motor has likely not run regularly since 2017/18