thermocouple placement

Beta

Veteran Member
TDI
87 syncro westy alh
A pd130 17 turbo has a seperate manifold. Therefore there isn't a great place to tap an egt probe to measure all four cylinders. A really easy and accessable spot is the blank off plate for the egr valve. The probe only has to go in about 1 inch to see great flow from cylinders 3 and 4. My vnt-15 setup can produce 1500 in about 4 seconds in top gear, so needless to say this is VERY important. So, any educated opinions as to if this is go or not? Thanks in advance!

TdiRacing

Vendor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Cup
I have heard that is not a good place. We taped a manifold for the Rally car right above Cyl 3, so it gets a reading right where exhaust exists the head on Cyl 3 and cyl 4 as well. This will give you a more accurate reading that the EGR plate. Gas flow is not ideal there.

Beta

Veteran Member
TDI
87 syncro westy alh
Thanks tdir. But the egr outlet is quite a bit different on the 130 manifold vs 150/vnt15. I can see through it out port 3, and it is directly above the log for 3&4. I'm pretty confident I can easily get the tip in the highest flow region from 3&4, but do you think sampling 2 cylinders is enough?

TdiRacing

Vendor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Cup
I think so. #3 is the injector that sends the signal to the ecu, so sampling it and the #4 is fine. Unless you have something wrong with a particular injector, this will be very accurate. We use this on the Rally Golf, as we can get the probe very close to the Head that way to get a good temp reading.

Beta

Veteran Member
TDI
87 syncro westy alh
Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear. I'll post pics as soon as I finish new downpipe and intake plumbing.