There's a bees nest behind my mirror

vaxick

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, 2000, Satin Silver
There\'s a bees nest behind my mirror

So after a random drive today due to boredom I arrive home and notice bees are climbing out of the side mirror on the drivers side. Moving the mirror a little I could see a nest built right behind it. Any idea what would be a good way to "elinimate" the bees and their little nest? I was thinking of just using a can of insecticide, but I wanted to hear some other opinions first

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta

try switching your heated mirrors "ON" and see how they feel about that

TDIdenver

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 99.5, Black(traded in); Jetta 06, Platinum; Jetta 11, Platinum

just go to a hardware store and get some bee killer, or wasp killer. I have had good results with the latter because it kills on contact, some sort of nerve agent for flying insects...

vaxick

Veteran Member
TDI

just go to a hardware store and get some bee killer, or wasp killer. I have had good results with the latter because it kills on contact, some sort of nerve agent for flying insects...
Ok, I guess I will go with the insecticide plan then

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green

bee prepared
to wash the insecticide off your paint immediately.

At least, that's the latest buzz...

MacGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta, black

Be careful!!

Objects in Mirror are larger than they appear!

VDubbing

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Galactic Blue

high pressure water might be safer. A garden hose nozzle might clear out the nesting materials after the bees are gone.

vaxick

Veteran Member
TDI

bee prepared
to wash the insecticide off your paint immediately.

At least, that's the latest buzz...
Hmmm yeah, thats what I was thinking.

high pressure water might be safer. A garden hose nozzle might clear out the nesting materials after the bees are gone.
I was thinking about doing that and maybe that would be the best option.

Haha btw nice picture dieseldorf

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.

Do you want to exact revenge on a dealership? Take it in and play dumb. Say there's something wrong with the mirror adjustment or the heater.

Well, maybe that's a little cruel. I'd go with wasp/hornet spray, as the garden hose is just going to get them mad.

ufoguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat, Shadow Blue, gray leather

harvest the honey to offset maintenance costs.

yumanord

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta A4 TDI

I happen to be an entomomologist and work for an ag chemical company. Are you sure they are honey bees or are they wasps? I doubt honey bees would bother to build a nest there, but wasps would. The reason I ask is that once the the nest is removed there is a good chance the honey bees would have left a pheromone that could reattract other bees.

I agree the best method would of eradication would be a commercial wasp or bee killer. You want something with a quick knockdown, so stick with pyrethroids or organophosphates -- stay away from organic products.

If you do have bees and they are reattracted, then you are going to have to remove the mirror and scrub it with alcohol or other solvent.

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed

I happen to be an entomomologist and work for an ag chemical company....
The diversity of our little group here at TDICLUB.COM never fails to amaze me. No matter how off-the-wall our problems are, there is always an expert in the field ready to help, no matter how unusual the problem may be.

Hats off to Fred's and it's members.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS

I am having this very problem with my poor, displaced S-10 Blazer. It sits a bunch since my addition of the TDI to the car family. I have found, on 3 occasions, bee hives on this thing. The last one, I noticed while I was driving and quite a ways from home. They had built their nest in the nook created by my wind deflector on the passenger side window. I stopped and found an implement and quickly 'flicked' the whole thing off, onto the ground (much to their confusion and anger). After reaching my destination, I washed the residue off and thought it was a done deal.

After getting back home, I parked the car on the street, a completely different location from where it had been sitting before. Within seconds, I had curious bees flirting around the window looking for their former home. I was amazed!! How did they know that! I was more than 100 feet from where the car was parked before and they immediately knew where their old nest was
... I assumed it must be smell. Nature is amazing sometimes.

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP: 1999½ New Golf GL TDI satin silver

(yumanord)
Are you sure they are honey bees or are they wasps?...The reason I ask is that once the the nest is removed there is a good chance the honey bees would have left a pheromone that could reattract other bees.
So this is not the case with wasps and other hymenoptera?

yumanord

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta A4 TDI

Other Hymenoptera such as Vespids (Paper wasps) are less likely to congregate to build a nest because of a pheromone in my experience -- not that they don't.

I'm not a Hymenopteran expert (actually Diabrotica and Noctuids) but the behavior described by the FlyTDI on his SUV tends to lend credence to my observations. I think it more likely if you have a problem with wasps it's because you've spilled a sugary liquid than they're on the scent of pheromones.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI

This reminds me of the large wasp nest I found on my house last year. I knocked it down with a stick, sprayed it with motorcycle chain-lube (gooey black grease), and then set it on fire. I have not had any wasp problems since. I think the few survivors that got away have spread the word: Don't go near this house...the guy is crazy. I guess you don't want to do that to your mirror.

Score: Michael 1, Wasps 0.

BathTDI

Veteran Member

They are probably wasps or hornets. I am a beekeeper and have never seen bees in such a small space. Maybe your trunk but not the mirror cavity. They like room since the colony can get up to 50-100,000 bees, which would make a tight fit.

If you do not like to use insecticides (and I would stay away from organophosphates as suggested since they are bad news) you can get a quart spray bottle and add one teaspoon (or more but do not worry too much about the amount) of any liquid dish soap, like Ivory or Palmolive and fill the rest of the way with water.

Now you can spray the wasps as they leave the mirror and that will kill them. Sort of like a video game.

bjmarler

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, White

This reminds me of the large wasp nest I found on my house last year. I knocked it down with a stick, sprayed it with motorcycle chain-lube (gooey black grease), and then set it on fire. I have not had any wasp problems since. I think the few survivors that got away have spread the word: Don't go near this house...the guy is crazy. I guess you don't want to do that to your mirror.

Score: Michael 1, Wasps 0.
Too Funnny!!! My wife and I about bust a gut reading that story.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS

In my case they were yellowjackets... We have them in hordes around here. In one instance, lacking any insecticide at hand, I improvised and found some carburetor cleaner with a nice long spray tip that would shoot for 3 or more feet. I was amazed when I shot the hive (and bees coming out), they dropped like rocks, INSTANTLY. Gees... I think I'll be more careful with that stuff in the future. If it does that to bees, I don't think I'll frivolously clean my greasy hands with it anymore.

bjmarler

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, White

they dropped like rocks, INSTANTLY
I'll venture a guess that it melts their little wings to smitherines - thus the lack of aerodynamics.

Hey, what do you call a "fly" with no wings? - (a "walk")

cdu

Veteran Member

I've found that a little smoke from a piece of burning paper or something similar makes them sleepy and they fall off the hive. Then they're easy enough to squish. In your situation, I'd probably use smoke to make them sleepy, then slightly soapy water to kill them, then high pressure hose to dispose of the rest of the junk inside the mirror pod.
chris