The "What did you do to your B4 today" thread...

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Installed an updated tune from RocketChip to go with the newer 1756VK turbo. Asked him to turn the boost down a little bit to a max of 27 PSI.
Changed the cabin air filter and also changed injector copper washers, clamp bolts and washers. I was having an issue with 2 of them leaking slightly, so I ended up pulling all of them, cleaning everything, & installing new hardware. So far so good!
It's time to pass the torch to someone else who will take care of her. I hardly use this car anymore and I'm using my free time elsewhere to do projects around the house. So, when things need attention, it's getting to be more frustrating than rewarding.
Anyway, any ideas on what I should ask for my B4V? It has a lot of upgrades and goodies + a bunch of extra parts to go along with the sale (most everything needed for a 5 lug conversion + a set of 5 lug wheels to go with it).
I need to clean it up to take some pictures and post a for sale add, but I wanted to get your opinions on pricing before I list it.
Wagons are still a big deal IMO, the cargo capacity can't be found elsewhere and I see the Jetta sportwagon as a kind of a let down honestly. They are awfully small and I tried sitting in one and the seats are very short and the adjustments are inadequate on the manual seat models.

I may have long legs but the seats really are not good, not like even the Mk2 seats that had great frontal under knee support.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing some pics posted up, wish you good luck with your sale, I don't think you'll have a problem finding a new home TBH.

Steve

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
I see the Jetta sportwagon as a kind of a let down honestly. They are awfully smal
Was just looking up the specs today for the Mk6, and the wagon is actually 3 inches shorter than the sedan.
The real killer is, the wagons all have the same size fuel tank as sedans, beginning with Mk4 i think. It makes no sense. You're going camping, or hauling stuff long distance, so you need longer driving range. The squareback has worse aerodynamic drag, so it needs a larger tank.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sprocket, I didn't know you still had this car: Thought for some reason that Whitbread had captured it. Hope you find a buyer who appreciates the car.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Was just looking up the specs today for the Mk6, and the wagon is actually 3 inches shorter than the sedan.
The real killer is, the wagons all have the same size fuel tank as sedans, beginning with Mk4 i think. It makes no sense. You're going camping, or hauling stuff long distance, so you need longer driving range. The squareback has worse aerodynamic drag, so it needs a larger tank.
It's unfortunate that we didn't get a wagon with the Passat NMS, it seems if you want anything large after 97 you either take the B5.5 TDI and all of the changes they need or accept that the B4 was the end of the road, or, as I have considered, build a B6V TDI with the CR stuff.

Steve

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Having owned a MKIV Jetta Wagon and a B4V at the same time, I actually found I could carry more in the Jetta despite its smaller overall size. The Jetta cargo area is much more square, and the tailgate is more vertical, not compromising space for large items. The newer wagons are less roomy than either. And my '15 GSW has a 13.2 gallon fuel tank. Although most people would be happy with a 550-600 mile range, I find it disappointing.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
The B4 sedan has been off the road for several weeks, due to a bad water pump. No warning, the pump just started dumping coolant through the weep hole. The AC in this car works better than the wagon, so I decided to get into it Wednesday night.

I yanked the pump from the top, so I don’t have to mess when the the timing belt. I had a German Geba with a stamped steel impeller on the shelf, a new t-stat, gasket, etc., in attic stock.

I could have finished the job, but I decided to change those goofy tri-hoses. They had OE VW markings, so I can only assume they were original. They actually weren’t in bad shape, considering their age. Only a bit of swelling at the pump fittings. Odd thing was one of the hoses had the plastic T-fitting, but the hoses did not use tension clamps or ear clamps. They’re banded, but I can’t see any seams or any means of tensioning the bands...

Placed an order for replacements, and they arrived today. I also decided to pull the knock off frost heater that I cobbled together, years ago. My setup used a 1500w Zerstart... it works great, but I rarely use it.

People on here tend to get a kick out of me working in the street. Here’s another pic of me, bringing down the property values, lol.

With this method of pump replacement, I needed to get under the car twice. Once was to unbolt the tank heater, and the other was to tension the v-belt.

An unrelated third time was to install the v-belt splash shield. I probably bought it 5 years ago, and finally installed it.

Tires are pretty bald and showing steel belts... these came with the car, when I bought it in 2014. I guess I got my money out of them...

-Todd

nh nam vet

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 97 Passats , 02 Jetta
Todd, your B4 is looking improved. Awesome, brother. A couple of years ago, I bought a couple of the splash guards for the water pump for my DD and back up plan, but I haven't installed them yet. Good for you. Going over puddles without the belly pan guarantees loss of (power) steering. It reminds me of my great Aunt Cora's 1953 Lincoln Capri: monster engine, without power steering. A monster to steer. A tank. My father and I sold that to an ice cream stand tycoon in Westford, Massachusetts...

Every bit helps to pilot your TDI around the omnipresent free lance, dumb & just plain sloppy drivers these days. It's all about survival, these days. There are no rules or enforcement. Purple Heart license plates and Veteran plates appear to be targeted vehicles here in New Hampshire. I hug the right line.

I recently went to my local fleet/street retail tire distributor (Stratham Tire, Brentwood , NH) to get a set of sneakers for my DD. 14 inch tires are getting challenging to locate. Dug through my Pendaflex files for the receipt: Riken Raptor 86H 195 60/R14 mounted on 4 rims, with 4 tire disposal for $340, balanced,etc. I was very happy. Good tires are your life line.

My DD is now at 384K, and the back up plan (B4 sedan, green, no rust at 242k. always garaged) is seeing limited service. I just installed front and rear mufflers on my DD. Two mufflers (eBay) and two 2 1/8" clamps (Advanced Auto Parts) for about $250. It was a genuine pain in the ass, on my back with 20 inches of clearance and 6 pairs of nitrile gloves... but I'll stop whining ...

If you drive a TDI you know how accustomed/presumptive you are to just getting into the car and turning the key. Not to mention the 40+ MPG with no effort.

My (please stand back) Big Picture spin is that this particular (and original thread for this web page) for TDI's is obviously seeing less activity and interest.

Coincidentaly, on my way to work today, I got behind a VW Caddy diesel PickUp spewing all kinds of smoke. But, God Bless him for campaining that diesel VW. I did not Google it , but it must be an 1980's, right?

Thanks, Todd; and please keep posting. I'm pushing 70 but still living the dream and obviously enjoying the ride. Jeff

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I can’t complain about the car, for what I paid for it. It’s reliable other than the standard routine maintenance stuff. I really haven’t done too much to this car. Replaced a front wheel bearing, the ball joints and control arm bushings about a month ago.... the ball joints were in terrible shape. I never did them, on this car, lol.

It’s getting old and needs another trip to the body shop. The fender liners hold all of the debris in, that falls from the cowl area. I’m not as diligent as I’d like to be about hosing that area out. The lower, rear portion of the right fender rotted out. Probably just get a spare fender painted, rather than try to fix this one.

Maybe I’ll finally get around to installing the ST coilovers and Porsche D90 wheels that have been hanging around for over 5 years.... warranty on the coilovers is easily expired.

My commute is very short, so my mileage suffers. These staggered wheels (8” & 9”) will drag me down even further, lol.

The rear muffler on the wagon fell off, around 2 years ago. I saw it hanging and removed it and did nothing else, lol. I can’t really tell a difference.

I deleted the suitcase muffler on the sedan. It was rotting out and it was easier to just clamp a straight pipe in. Again, I can’t tell a difference.

Will need to address the brakes on the Rotbox. Drove it around the block, a few weeks ago.... first time it’s moved in about a year. Left a plume of smoke in its trail. At first, I thought it was from the exhaust, but when I got out of the car, it smelled of brake lining and the right front wheel, was smoking... hopefully, it can be popped free and exercised.

The rabbit trucks were from 79-83 in the US. Mine just sits, as it’s not really comfortable to drive. Very cramped interior. I daily drove that thing for 3 years, before buying the wagon in 2011... basically bought AC.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Someone came by, for some wheels, this morning. Said he’d be in a black BMW, but I wasn’t expecting this.... haven’t seen one of these up close and personal, in decades.

Anywho, I decided to dig into the Rotbox. I may need to wake the truck from it’s slumber to pick up some Rabbit parts, and Rotbox is in the way.

I remember the PO telling me he installed new front rotors, pads and remanned front calipers. They’re now covered in rust... they were likely blasted and never replated. The carriers looked very clean...

It took a lot of effort to get the caliper to release insitu.... needed to hammer a chisel through the inspection window, to open it up. Started the car and it was still dragging. Pulled the caliper and needed a lot of pedal force to get the piston to move. Once it popped free, I was able to push it in with a c-clamp, but the last 1/8” was really tough. Repeated the pedal and c-clamp a few times, but it never got better.

Decided to grab a used spare, from the shed. Pushed the piston out with air and pushed it back in. This one felt normal, and it got installed and bled. Sanded the pads on a flat surface (firewall counterweight) with some 80 grit, cleaned up the rotor with the die grinder, relubled the slide pins and cleaned the pad mating surfaces on the carrier, drilled out the broken rotor screw and retapped it, and bolted it back together.

Maybe a year ago, I had the same thing happen to the left side, on the B4. I expected the piston and bore to be covered in rust, but when I finally got the piston out, everything was perfectly clean. The square cut o-ring must have swelled.... I’m curious if this one will be the same.

Did a few laps through the neighborhood and it felt as it should. Tore the driver side apart to ensure that caliper retracted properly, which it did. Drilled that broken rotor screw out and retapped it, also. I install SS screws, nowadays.

Parked it, and called it quits, for the day.

-Todd

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Installed an updated tune from RocketChip to go with the newer 1756VK turbo. Asked him to turn the boost down a little bit to a max of 27 PSI.
Changed the cabin air filter and also changed injector copper washers, clamp bolts and washers. I was having an issue with 2 of them leaking slightly, so I ended up pulling all of them, cleaning everything, & installing new hardware. So far so good!
It's time to pass the torch to someone else who will take care of her. I hardly use this car anymore and I'm using my free time elsewhere to do projects around the house. So, when things need attention, it's getting to be more frustrating than rewarding.
Anyway, any ideas on what I should ask for my B4V? It has a lot of upgrades and goodies + a bunch of extra parts to go along with the sale (most everything needed for a 5 lug conversion + a set of 5 lug wheels to go with it).
I need to clean it up to take some pictures and post a for sale add, but I wanted to get your opinions on pricing before I list it.
Good luck there bud! That’s a primo specimen for sure, if only it was 10 years ago!

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
Yes. I still have my B4V. Love driving it!! But, mostly drive the LMM (2008 Duramax). Because of work. The wagon has 198,256 on it, thus far. Hope that it keeps on. Of course, I get people to work on it, as I need to do what I know! So I can pay for any repairs.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Brought new injector nozzles to my guru for the Passat Sedan. Originals are in the car at 290K miles, I think it's time. Also learned the 2 year old battery has died. He thinks a plate broke. Going to try and warranty that.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Someone came by, for some wheels, this morning. Said he’d be in a black BMW, but I wasn’t expecting this.... haven’t seen one of these up close and personal, in decades.

You don't see those very often anymore, most of them have been snapped up by people hedging on future investments etc. Even the parts cars have vanished in hopes of enough early 911/912 like interest shows up to restore them, and the E30's are all pretty much several thousand dollars now just to get into a basic intact builder.

I'm kinda glad I never got interested in the BMW cars...

Steve

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
Like that car!

You don't see those very often anymore, most of them have been snapped up by people hedging on future investments etc. Even the parts cars have vanished in hopes of enough early 911/912 like interest shows up to restore them, and the E30's are all pretty much several thousand dollars now just to get into a basic intact builder.
I'm kinda glad I never got interested in the BMW cars...
Steve
My 14 year old. Said.., I want that car!!!

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The owner told me he drives that car all the time. He came for another set of Corrado Steelies. Coincidentally enough, I saw a gray one with 2 miles of my house a few days later.... first time for that one. Every few months, I see an old man driving an orange one.

A JY I used to frequent had them littered through the yard, but that was 20 years ago.

-Todd

TDIDaveNH

Left Lane Coal Roller at Large
TDI
1997 Passat TDI x2 1984 Buick Century 4.3 diesel
I don't like the new look either....something gained but more was lost. I'm also not inclined to get used to it....too much of that going around these days.

ksmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
A Labor Day pump seal replacement and sprint 520 nozzles install. It's been a while since I've worked on a tdi... I got this car in June (for free) from the original owner. 328k on it, and as far as I know, the nozzles were original. Next up is rust repair.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Post pics of the rust repair... I love the surgery stuff....

Speaking of which, I need to tend to a hole in my wheel well. Me thinks a plug rusted out.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Changed the oil and all filters, on the B4, today. Last time I did this, was 10/21/18... put 6,740 miles on it since...

Found out the cabin filter was installed upside down.... oops. I guess it’s better than no filter...

-Todd

ksmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
Post pics of the rust repair... I love the surgery stuff....

Speaking of which, I need to tend to a hole in my wheel well. Me thinks a plug rusted out.

-Todd
I need a refresher on how to post pics here. But you may not want to see what's about to happen. It's ugly. Sane people would scrap the car. Oh well.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
After a long visit with Chris Hill at Kraftwerke, My B4 (formerly owned by BRUSSELS BELGIUM) is back! Lots done this visit, including:
  • Steering rack, to correct the persistent pull to the right the car's had for a while
  • Driver's side axle, old one was clicking pretty consistently
  • Rear calipers to fix the also persistent dragging parking brake
  • Injector nozzles (originals were in the car at 290K)
  • Front door handles (they work!)
  • Radio antenna
  • Battery (the one it had apparently had a broken plate and wouldn't hold a charge)
Car drives great. Injectors really smoothed the engine out, it previously was unhappy running at much below 1800 RPM. The steering is now excellent, as it should be. And it stops much better!

I even washed it this morning.

It rolled over 290K miles at some point during its visit, so an oil change is coming soon. I also filled it with fuel: Last fill was 29 November of last year. I don't drive it enough!

Last edited:

T-Roy

Veteran Member
TDI
'92 ECOdiesel AHU
*sigh*... got my B4V out of the shed and sprayed it off with water.

This poor car - between getting rear ended in 2016, moving states twice, working from home now, and being a VW diesel hoarder I just don't know how to feel about it right now.
It's been sitting in a shed for nearly a year and a half now, and rarely got driven a year before that as well.
It has a lot of upgrades and is souped up very nicely (RC4, VNT17, etc), but needs a lot of work.
The problem is mostly body and cosmetic things, something that I have no clue about or who I would trust to fix it all correctly around me.
Despite the damage, it still runs and drives fine, all the rear lights work, and the hatch still opens and closes.
Honestly, the source of procrastination in getting it fixed is because of the fact it is still functional, but being damaged and unsightly just doesn't bother me that much.
  • Rear ended - needs body work - I have a hatch (wrong color) and tail lights, but no rear bumper cover or associated bracketry.
  • Front clip may have some issues from getting rear ended as I slightly hit the car in front of me as well - headlights not aligned, some plastic broken, etc.
  • Clear coat is mostly gone from the side mirrors and some plastic body trim
  • Original windshield is cracked and pitted badly and needs replaced (have a new, OE one in storage with the correct seal I believe)
  • Steering wheel leather is all peeling off
  • Passenger rear door doesn't open from outside
  • McNally Boost/EGT combo gauge is junk (burnt out LCD sections and boost gauge sticks)
  • Clutch and/or flywheel needs replaced - it makes an annoying squeel every time you let off the clutch in 1st
  • Some suspension components are worn and need replaced (on Koni Reds from 2008 and ~150k miles)
  • 7 year old Michelin MXV4 tires with nearly 50k on them still have lots of tread, but are showing some fine, dry rot cracks
I'm sure there are more things that need addressed, but those are the big ones kind of wearing on me with this car. I've thought about selling it, but it really doesn't make sense - it is worth more to me to keep than what anyone would pay me for it in its current condition. This is a common dilemma I believe for many people who enjoy these cars. Sure, I might get a few grand for an old VW diesel, but given they all run and drive well and what they are capable of, it really isn't that much in the grand scheme of things to let go of an awesome car you've driven and enjoyed and made memories in.
So, they sit and collect...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I've thought about selling it, but it really doesn't make sense - it is worth more to me to keep than what anyone would pay me for it in its current condition.
That's exactly the dilemma I face with my B4. It's worth more to me than anyone else. My son is lobbying for it to replace his 400K mile Golf if it ever dies, but I know that will basically end the B4's life as I've prevented it from rusting by keeping it inside and limiting winter driving. I do enjoy the car: drove it to work this morning, in fact.

And this afternoon it got a fresh oil and filter and new front brake pads. I switched back from ceramic to Jurid semi-metallic pads, which were OE, I believe. I didn't like the pedal feel with the ceramics, and had put Jurids on the rear with its new calipers. The ceramics also squeaked a little when turning at low speeds, but I found that was a stuck guide pin, not the pads. Fixed that, too. And I took off the oil pan cover as it had some oil in it, not sure if it's leftover from the leaking valve cover gasket, now fixed, or a leaking oil pan gasket. Now I can keep an eye on it and find out.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Took my B4 for state inspection today (it passed) and while driving home I noted it's just passed 290K miles. I recall that A3 clusters go back to 0 at 300K miles. Anyone know if B4 clusters do the same thing?

T-Roy

Veteran Member
TDI
'92 ECOdiesel AHU
No, my B4 cluster kept counting right over no problem.

Funny story about the A3 cluster - I recently bought a '98 Jetta TDI for $500 from a clueless car person and upon initial inspection it was showing 76k miles and I was freaking out. The engine bay was clean so it looked possible. It hit me later that the A3 clusters roll over 300k and start over at 0 with the word 'Total' disappearing. I looked again and there was no 'Total' :(

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Installed group 49A battery today in the B3V conversion, it fit in the space with a little room to spare. I think it's 13.5" wide, cable length was not a problem either, then again I might be using Mk3 cables. This is not an AGM battery although I think have a group 49 or comparable AGM coming.

Bought a couple batteries via a friend who was at a swap meet last weekend, one is a 49ish sized AGM and the other is a group 95A sized lead acid battery (long one, 15.5") that I think will be used in a Benz that I've been needing one for. These were new batteries from some plant near Milwaukee that had a lot of covid related cancellations I guess.

Steve