The "What did you do to your B4 today" thread...

Col Sanders

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 Green And it's Possessed 2001 Audi A4 AFN SWAP
Thanks Steve. The Chubs post reminds me to call for a appointment. I need a couple wires in the computer moved. Over my head. Nice little drive in the country for me. As you know, I've been there twice. Derek is a whiz on this stuff. I won't mention this is on my A4. Mods will kick me off here and over to the never read swap threads. lol. No B4 no mo. Did I say that!

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
Drove the black B4 daily driver to multiple locations with no issues. Came out from my last stop late in the day and it would not start. Cluster lights and needles operated normally when I turned the key in ignition, but turning the key in the ignition resulted in engine doing nothing. It turns out that the starter wire plug pigtail had become unplugged. Close examination revealed that the wire clip that holds it snug and in place, was missing. Is this something to start watching for ie that the clips will deteriorate off the many connectors in the engine bay and pop off on their own, or was this a freak accident?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Thanks Steve. The Chubs post reminds me to call for a appointment. I need a couple wires in the computer moved. Over my head. Nice little drive in the country for me. As you know, I've been there twice. Derek is a whiz on this stuff. I won't mention this is on my A4. Mods will kick me off here and over to the never read swap threads. lol. No B4 no mo. Did I say that!
Haha, yeah he's not all that far from you.

Got my cluster back a few days back, have been gone for Easter so not installed yet. I also have to do a little rewiring in the cluster harness and under the hood to handle the additional led light for coolant GP activity.

Steve

VWVenla

TDI
1996 B4 Passat Wagon TDI, 1997 Passat TDI Sedan
New rims, replaced boot and clutch covers (thanks Redline!), re-sealed all exterior trim, sat and looked at her for an hour with beer in hand.

TDIDaveNH

Left Lane Coal Roller at Large
TDI
1997 Passat TDI x2 1984 Buick Century 4.3 diesel
Changed the oil and rotated tires, replaced 2 tires and discovered an outside CV boot in my future as well as excessive play in the left inner tie rod- that one goes right to the top of the list.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Had to replace the battery in my wagon Sunday. Old one lasted 4 years and 3 months. Got some money off the $150 replacement batter - $85 out the door. Both new and old batteries were from WalMart. Size H8, biggest battery I could find. Think it is a replacement for the old Group 49 size battery. A very tight fit on the stock location.

sootful

TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2002 Golf GLS TDI
Fuel guage on cluster suddenly went inop. I found a mouse nest over the fuel tank sender and the wires had been chewed through. Cleaned and reconnected. I have guage again! Yeah.

TBOxnitemare

TDI
1996 passat TDI
Finished up my exciter wire/oil pressure/voltage switch panel and pod install. Also ordered front bearings and full strut assembly for both sides.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Post a pic of the pod/panel, if you can. Curious what you did.

-Todd

nh nam vet

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 97 Passats , 02 Jetta
I don't know how, but my DD 1997 B4 TDI surpassed 350K miles:

Does anyone make transportation appliances that will run 350k miles now? I have to figure that every one who passes me on the highway now at [75 - 85 MPH) is making payments for 5 -7 years. Blissful life in 2018.

My back up plan 1997 B4 TDI has 100K less miles; and my 1996 B4 TDI back up plan part 2 , (purchased in 2017 for $250) has 180K miles.

It's just a battle of old age versus rust...Who will win????

The clock never stops. No Contest. Enjoy every day, and keep the B4 TDI parts in production and available. What a thrill ride. Jeff Gerst

Last edited:

TBOxnitemare

TDI
1996 passat TDI
Changed the wind shield wipers out for Bosch ones, tired of them bouncing. Replaced the puck grommet to the valve cover, mine was leaking.

Also searched my garage for 10mm nuts for my two new emergency brake lines and inspected my new front bearings/hubs that are going in over the weekend.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
any good suggestions to put back on a lower radiator hose? i have all the other hoses on, that one theres nearly no space, i can barely get one hand near hose, lower rad. am trying to use like an extension and tap and push some, having some luck, am going to try again

if i would have known i probably would have just left that hose, it was one of the best hoses on car, prob was ok, audi/vw markings, unfortunately in my smartness i slice all the hoses so esp i could get stock clamps off. oh well, if i recall i got hose kit from PP, the one hose from W-P to flange(+cooler) didnt fit right, ended up having to order one from advanced, just got it, not a hard install, the same hose from napa $60+, i couldnt believe it its a $25 hose, from a non-vw store.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
any good suggestions to put back on a lower radiator hose? i have all the other hoses on, that one theres nearly no space, i can barely get one hand near hose, lower rad. am trying to use like an extension and tap and push some, having some luck, am going to try again

if i would have known i probably would have just left that hose, it was one of the best hoses on car, prob was ok, audi/vw markings, unfortunately in my smartness i slice all the hoses so esp i could get stock clamps off. oh well, if i recall i got hose kit from PP, the one hose from W-P to flange(+cooler) didnt fit right, ended up having to order one from advanced, just got it, not a hard install, the same hose from napa $60+, i couldnt believe it its a $25 hose, from a non-vw store.
Do you mean that you can't get the plastic flange back on the thermostat flange or that you can't get the lower rad hose on the 90 degree plastic flange?

If your problem is with getting the two flanges back together then I would lube the o-ring a little with oil or silicone spray. If you force it the o-ring will tear.

Steve

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
both, im alternating, right now i have the hose on the flange lip, taking a break, have 3/8" long extension and plastic hammer, i use it to pry, move, tap and am going to try to work on.

both of the hoses i got, one from PP(iir) and now one from advanced, from W-P to head flange, w/cooler, it doesnt fit exact, both the flange side i had to trim, and add hose+connector i got from plumbing shop, the cooler hose, this one is the upper 1, doesnt quite fit, its slightly tight, kinked, doubt i have a worry. with i trimmed the flange side the opening that would slide over the flange went away, hence put on a little bit of hose i think i have a pex fitting in there, and trim the hose some more to fit, 3 clamps, pita, and so many clamps there is also a pain.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
got it!! :p, took some doing to switch out all hoses, and such.
as i had a post about my 'water troubles'. as it turned out had a plastic w-pump in it, it now has a metal one, had a metal gasket in it, has one now as well. so with all the water system done, and a 90dg or 92dg thermo i ll see now how she warms up and such. just hav to put pulleys back on and belts. holds water. ready-to-go--> :D

TBOxnitemare

TDI
1996 passat TDI
Replaced my front drivers side wheel bearing and hub. FAG bearing and Meyle hub. Clearances were tight and it took a little muscle to get them seated but all is tight again and I'm satisfied. Passenger side wheel bearing will be done this week. I refuse to use the slide hammer again to pull the hub it was a total nightmare and useless. I ended up taking the spindle completely off and hammering a socket on the back side of the hub. Two smacks with a 2 lb hammer and it fell out. Decided I'm just going to remove the passenger side and have a shop press it out.

Also installed my new strut assemblies and a string alignment until I finish the other bearing next week. After that I'll get it professionally aligned.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
TBO, im a little confused on you pulling the old hub out. if your just pulling a hub out/off, theres a few bolts to take off, strut bolts come off, leave 1 bolt hanging in, i think the tie rod end nut has to come off, then the part, take ball joint bolt, &nut off. then to get the hub off where it is on the ball joint, neat thing get a pry bar and 'split' the opening @ball joint, pry it open and hub should just slip off. if this was the 'hang up' you had--.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Bearing is pressed in the steering knuckle. The hub is pressed into the bearing.

-Todd

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
yea, i see my confusion, i take the whole thing, to my shop to get it pressed. i was a little confused as to the hub, for me i can take it as the whole and/or complete knuckle. i have an old blue-point tool, think mine works for mk1s, tried it on my mk2, didnt seem to fit. presses out and in bearings and i figure the hub as well, not really that difficult, if you have the right tool. id have to get a pic of it. its a good sized threaded tool, has a mix so you can press out a bearing into a sleeve on tool, with different sizes(sleeves and presses).

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not that it helps the OP, since he doesn’t own a press, but I take the entire strut/knuckle assembly to the press.

Camber isn’t disturbed and no alignment is needed. Sockets and old bearing races are my arbors.

I’ve considered the kit, but I don’t do bearings that often. My press cost less than the kit and it gets more use, since it’s not a single purpose tool.

-Todd

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
even your local shop to get to press, isnt very expensive. shouldnt be. drop both off, hopefully pick up before closing. if you can pick up earlier, you can put them in before it gets dark.
you just need at least one of those circlips per side.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Yesterday took the B4 to a local dealer to test drive an NMS Passat. Manual transmission, probably soon to be a unicorn. Honestly I like the B4 better.

When I was leaving the showroom the service manager found me and said everyone in the service department was checking out my B4 because they never see any and mine is so clean (well, reasonably clean). Funny how the oldest car at the dealership was getting the most attention.