The Story of the Good Dealer

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
As many of you know I seldom find much good to say about dealers. I often recommend avoiding them. I often follow my advice, but there are times I visit a dealer, like to buy a new VW.

I have so say that I have been lucky in that I am not too far from a dealer that based on my experiences with them (Your mileage may vary) I have been pleasantly surprised. I am writing this to make clear that I am not always anti dealer. Many deserve a bad rep, but there are some who are good.

I am not sure about using names on this news group, so I will not. It would be of limited use anyway as this is a big world and a single dealer is at best a very small part of the market.

Last edited:

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Is this a Story, or Fable?
It is true. In fact I believe there is a history of the dealer being the same one my father was looking at a VW Bus back in the early 1960's and the dealer I bought my 1970 VW. All of which I would rate high.

Of course my expectations for a dealer are rather low. So maybe the dealer would only score average, compared to what a dealer should be.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Joe, Which area of town is this Dealer located? Can you expand on your story a bit? let us know what they did that was done well?

NW, SW, or East of town?

RalphVa

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
We had a good Benz dealer in Morristown, NJ. I never took either our 1973 nor our 1983 to them because I did virtually all my own work back then, but it dealt with the parts people and one sales guy, and they were great. I didn't have the punches, etc. to remove an old front wheel bearing on the 1973. I took the hub into them. They removed the old bearing race and installed the new one. No charge.

The Benz dealer here in Charlottesville is also pretty good. They're conservative and careful. At one point they told us that our 1983 needed a new brake booster. I had them put the Benz pads on and purge the old fluid. Then the brake pedal felt fine. Never changed the booster. Never took it back to them for the state inspection, as they're too picky on stuff like that.

Same for the VW dealer here, far too picky during the state inspection, but I think they're good for fixing stuff. Had them put in another oxygen sensor on the Cabrio. During its last state inspection, they said the tires almost failed, and the parking brake cable would need replacing by next year. I'm still running on the tires, just won't take it out in the rain if I can help it. I adjusted the parking brake myself. Won't be taking it to them for state inspection again.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I am not sure about using names on this news group, so I will not. It would be of limited use anyway as this is a big world and a single dealer is at best a very small part of the market.
but I really want to know, I'll try to make it easier for you, is it;
a) byers
b) mag
c) hatfield

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
so SW it is... :) I have heard decent things about that dealership as well..

I use the one on the East side for parts ONLY and have yet to let any of my VWS be left in the hands of any of their service departments.

but of course, I can do just about anything myself. or know a guy who can do anything I cant do.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I don't have much done either. I ether do it myself or I have given you a call. BTW, I plan on giving you a call when I get back from a short vacation. I am still looking for about an inch more clearance before the snow arrives.

torqueit

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I once had a Saab and was living in Germany. Right before I came back to the states, the AC went out and I took it to the local Saab dealer in Stuttgart.

"I am so sorry Herr Schmidt (not my real name), we must make everything new (handing me a bill for about $1600 in DM)".

I took it back without fixes. Shipped the car back to the states. Picked it up in St. Louis. Drove it to the Saab dealer in downtown Kansas City (George's Imports).

I asked them to test it, tell me what was wrong, and call me before repairing. Dropped it off. 2 hours later I get a call. Your car is ready for pickup.

"What do you mean ready for pickup? How much is the bill?" About $100.

"What was wrong with it?", I asked. "We added the dye, pressure tested it, couldn't find a leak. It's cooling fine."

The AC worked for the next 4 years until I traded it in. Now that was a good dealer. George's Imports. Kansas City, MO.

radar912

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
The guys in Belleville Ontario are top notch, beat our local dealer and the local non dealer VW repair shop price wise. They have had the same mechanics in house for years and do quality work, only place I go when I need a mechanic.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Yes, I would say he is talking about Hatfield. He wouldnt go to MAG, and he has had me do the timing belt on his car.