The settlement as proposed is complete BS

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
The proposed settlement does NOTHING to compensate owners for the fraud and deception that VW perpetrated on them, UNLESS they are willing to give up their car in its current form (buyback now, 'fix', if one is ever approved, or buyback later). The settlement as it is proposed therefore completely fails to meet the goal stated in its first sentence: ”The goal of the Volkswagen Class Settlement Program is to compensate everyone who owned or leased a Volkswagen or Audi 2.0-liter TDI vehicle (”Eligible Vehicle”) on September 18, 2015 (the date the emissions allegations became public), or who now owns an eligible vehicle. ”

I urge every owner to use the comment period and voice their opposition to the deal as currently proposed.

nwtim

TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
I have to kinda agree. I bought the TDI wagon for the versatility, a torquey engine, and nifty handling - all in one package. I THOUGHT I had it.

The only other cars that can give me those characteristics are $20k more. For the money they're giving back, I'm going to have to settle for one of them (Audi allroad, BMW 3 Series Wagon) with MUCH MORE wear-and-tear under the belt.

There's NO WAY I'm being "made whole" and the biggest positive is that it could've been worse.

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
we should be getting compatible street prices for our car firstly . then compensation. and for those that are returning their car, the loose the tax credit they would have got if they went to a competitor to buy. Im my case 15% of $20 ooo thousand, so thats $3K Ill eat , then did anyone see any Good will gesture of discount on a replacement vehicle by staying in the VW family?? Nope..
This was fraud on a grand scale..

BigWorm

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
VW really dropped the ball on this one. They're offering dirt for our cars. If you plan on keeping it, you don't get the check until the fix is done and that doesn't even exist and if they don't make one that passes within two years you racked up more kilometres on your car and have the buyback value lowered. It's a lose lose situation. The only people that win are the leaser's that can break free, free of charge.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 6 speed, 2012 Passat DSG
And the whining about cake and eating it too crowd begins. They will buy the car completely back and pay extra which covers loss of value. This is unprecedented in recall history. You will get all or most of your money back and be done with the issue if you want.

Yet we still have plenty of the above posters who still will shriek endlessly because they want some more money. Good grief, put a sock in it.

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW (GoneBack) - replaced with '15 Azera and '16 Fiat 500e.
then did anyone see any Good will gesture of discount on a replacement vehicle by staying in the VW family?? Nope..
Arguments of the values assigned to the vehicles aside, any VW retention incentive will be completely up to VW, and will have absolutely nothing to do with the court case. The courts, EPA, FTC, and CARB could care less whether those trading in the vehicles replace them with VW's or not. That is not the scope of the case this settlement is for. There's certainly no reason the DOJ or FTC should be advertising for the defendant anyway.

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
VW really dropped the ball on this one. They're offering dirt for our cars. If you plan on keeping it, you don't get the check until the fix is done and that doesn't even exist and if they don't make one that passes within two years you racked up more kilometres on your car and have the buyback value lowered. It's a lose lose situation. The only people that win are the leaser's that can break free, free of charge.
The buyback value would only lower on the car if you rack up more than 1042 miles/month. And even if you do, the net change due to that mileage is a very small dollar amount to get to drive the car virtually depreciation free for those 2 years.

Geddy

TDI
2015 Golf S TDI Manual (Silk blue)
And the whining about cake and eating it too crowd begins. They will buy the car completely back and pay extra which covers loss of value. This is unprecedented in recall history. You will get all or most of your money back and be done with the issue if you want.

Yet we still have plenty of the above posters who still will shriek endlessly because they want some more money. Good grief, put a sock in it.

Thank you. Some don't even want more money. They just think being the contrarian makes them look smarter than everyone else.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
The proposed settlement does NOTHING to compensate owners for the fraud and deception that VW perpetrated on them, UNLESS they are willing to give up their car in its current form (buyback now, 'fix', if one is ever approved, or buyback later). The settlement as it is proposed therefore completely fails to meet the goal stated in its first sentence: ”The goal of the Volkswagen Class Settlement Program is to compensate everyone who owned or leased a Volkswagen or Audi 2.0-liter TDI vehicle (”Eligible Vehicle”) on September 18, 2015 (the date the emissions allegations became public), or who now owns an eligible vehicle. ”
I urge every owner to use the comment period and voice their opposition to the deal as currently proposed.
Tell us what monetary value you have in mind for fraud and deception.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
I have to kinda agree. I bought the TDI wagon for the versatility, a torquey engine, and nifty handling - all in one package. I THOUGHT I had it.

The only other cars that can give me those characteristics are $20k more. For the money they're giving back, I'm going to have to settle for one of them (Audi allroad, BMW 3 Series Wagon) with MUCH MORE wear-and-tear under the belt.

There's NO WAY I'm being "made whole" and the biggest positive is that it could've been worse.
So you think you should be given more money (20k more?) to buy a competitor product that you consider comparable? This makes sense to you?

V-Rod

Veteran Member
TDI
2014, 06 Jetta TDI Auto
One of the things that bothers me is the mile deprecating. I'm at 51,000 on my 14 Jetta.
Another concern is, when I replace my car I have no trade. So now I have to pay extra sales tax.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
we should be getting compatible street prices for our car firstly . then compensation. and for those that are returning their car, the loose the tax credit they would have got if they went to a competitor to buy. Im my case 15% of $20 ooo thousand, so thats $3K Ill eat , then did anyone see any Good will gesture of discount on a replacement vehicle by staying in the VW family?? Nope..
This was fraud on a grand scale..
Vw should pay you cash for an anticipated tax credit you might have received on a car you might have bought from another manufacturer you might have chosen. Logical.

jayp111

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
The butt hurt is strong in this crowd

Does VW need to include a "Safe Space" or "Hurt Feelings" clause in the settlement?

The settlement as outlined is pretty darn fair.....the expectations of some is not so realistic unfortunately

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
The US and Canadian governments (and other world governments) are punishing VW because they cheated emissions. The goal of the punishment deal is to remove the cars from the road and/or fix them.

This doesnt work if they had out cash to people who then never show up to have the recall done. It makes complete sense that you get your money when they fix the car.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
The butt hurt is strong in this crowd

Does VW need to include a "Safe Space" or "Hurt Feelings" clause in the settlement?

The settlement as outlined is pretty darn fair.....the expectations of some is not so realistic unfortunately
Agreed 100%

Maybe they should ship out blankets and teddybears that smell like strawberries as well, along with the check.

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
One of the things that bothers me is the mile deprecating. I'm at 51,000 on my 14 Jetta.
Another concern is, when I replace my car I have no trade. So now I have to pay extra sales tax.
And what would you price a 2 year old compact car with 51,000 miles at? Because looking at autotrader listings in North Dakota, I'm seeing a bulk of them ranging between 13k and 16k, and you should be getting about 20k for your car.

Quiksilver

TDI
2010 Black/Black Jetta Sedan
Yeah, I mean ... am I happy? Not really. This is reality, and life isn't "fair".

My last payment was on Jan 14th, and half of my car was paid off with fuel savings relative to my previous vehicle. Now, that other half I paid is being given back to me. That's basically a free car for 147,000 miles over 5.5 years, and I'm getting out from under the inevitable emissions system maintenance costs. There is a looming HPFP issue, etc ...

I also drive a 1994 Toyota Pickup, which was due for replacement (rust issues getting out of hand) ... so this does throw a wrench into my original plan by having to allocate funds to two vehicles now. Financially, I am much better off than I was years ago ... so I may condense to a single vehicle (Honda Ridgeline) when all is said and done. With this VW money, I now can use the money I was saving for a truck for a new roof on my house.

I'm sorry if this is a burden for others, but this is why it is smart to always have a backup plan.

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
Here's my feelings on it. I have, for the most part NOT been happy with my 2009 JSW. I like the way it drives, but it had unpredictable transmission issues early on until they found that problem and fixed it. The sunroof was a constant nightmare of leaking mess, and I had the entire fuel system replaced twice. The only positive feelings I had about the purchase was with VW as a company, because they at least stood behind it and replaced the HPFP twice for free, both out of warranty (65k and 92k). So overall, I was meh about it because the company itself was making me feel better about the iffy car. After the news hit that the company itself was also a steaming pile, what is there left?

Take my car, give me money, and my wife will go out and buy a korean sedan for half the price, with twice the reliability, and four times the integrity.

pushgears

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 A3 TDI
There are no winners

VW takes a huge and unprecedented hit.

Owners are upset. TDI is dead - there won't be a 2017, 2018, or any more in the future.

Everyone unhappy = a good settlement

swampyankee

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
Vw should pay you cash for an anticipated tax credit you might have received on a car you might have bought from another manufacturer you might have chosen. Logical.
The $2,900 number is for that. The 20% is the generous compensation.

Sean2002

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI 6MT
The buyback value would only lower on the car if you rack up more than 1042 miles/month. And even if you do, the net change due to that mileage is a very small dollar amount to get to drive the car virtually depreciation free for those 2 years.
This is the part that I think people are missing. The settlement may not be great today, but it is really good in 1 to 2 years when we actually turn in our cars for the buyback.

My 2010 Jetta 6MT will get a little under $16,000 today, but that number will stay pretty constant the next 1 to 2 years. I'll probably drive more than the 1,000 miles a month figure, but even then, I'll only "lose" $500 over the next couple years.

The question I have is, how will an insurance company handle your claim if your car is totaled? That is the only risk I see in keeping the car. The price of our cars is now fixed. What other cars can say that?

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
This is the part that I think people are missing. The settlement may not be great today, but it is really good in 1 to 2 years when we actually turn in our cars for the buyback.

My 2010 Jetta 6MT will get a little under $16,000 today, but that number will stay pretty constant the next 1 to 2 years. I'll probably drive more than the 1,000 miles a month figure, but even then, I'll only "lose" $500 over the next couple years.

The question I have is, how will an insurance company handle your claim if your car is totaled? That is the only risk I see in keeping the car. The price of our cars is now fixed. What other cars can say that?
Exactly!

Right now I'm getting maybe $5K over value of my car... in May 2018 that amount will easily be $8K over true value.

kcompton

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi, 2006 Jetta TDi Pkg 1.
I for one, Like my 2015 Jetta TDi SEL, and plan to keep it, if I end up getting a cash payment, sweet. if not... well it still runs and drives very nice.

it still does everything I bought it for with the exception of the NOx emissions. I would like that to be fixed.

I also have a 2006 Jetta TDi so if 2018 gets here and there is no fix.. it might be time to let it go... but I would prefer to keep it.

any funds from VW is just a bonus.

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
Considering it would be incredibly dumb for the used market to price these cars for less than the buyback amount, the market value of these cars will be pretty much set by the settlement offers - so that is really all the insurance company would have to go on in valuing a totaled payout.

newbeetleman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
The only thing I don't like is the trade-in value.. I am not trading in my car.

The restitution money should not be considered as part of the buyback, they did that to try and pull a fast one on the consumer.

Give me what I paid and a nice discount on a new car and call it good. I bought this car strictly for MPG and diesel longevity.. both of which will be hurt by any fix. Because of this scandal, if I ever look to trade I will but killed on value..

That is why I have decided to do something versus just ignore this and keep the car, if that was even possible.

newbeetleman

Veteran Member
TDI
none

only if you don't drive your car.. I put 30k a year on my car and my wifes car is around 21-22k a year. That much driving will hurt values

Last edited:

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
only if you don't drive your car.. I put 30k a year on my car and my wives car is around 21-22k a year. That much driving will hurt values
That much driving will hurt the value of any car - doesn't matter whether there's a buyback going on or not.

jayp111

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
After periodically checking in on the dumpster fire thread that went on for months and the persistent whining of a large number of folks primarily new to VW and diesels in general.....Its become apparent that no matter what VW offerered for buyback/fix that the overwhelming majority of folks would still complain.....VW could offer most of you twice the original price and forgive what you may owe and you would STILL complain.

All car manufacturers have issues and always will.....GM got nailed in a similar defeat mechanism scandal a few years back and no one got all but hurt

I joined this forum years ago because I really enjoyed the cars and there are a lot of really great people that participate and and are willing to share info with others

Like others its a bit tiresome to log in and have to sift through the dieselgate trash in order to get to the threads that drew most of us to the forum in the first place

Maybe Fred and the mods would consider adding another "New Posts-No Dieselgate Noise" option that filters out the dieselgate garbage?

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
After periodically checking in on the dumpster fire thread that went on for months and the persistent whining of a large number of folks primarily new to VW and diesels in general.....Its become apparent that no matter what VW offerered for buyback/fix that the overwhelming majority of folks would still complain.....VW could offer most of you twice the original price and forgive what you may owe and you would STILL complain.

All car manufacturers have issues and always will.....GM got nailed in a similar defeat mechanism scandal a few years back and no one got all but hurt

I joined this forum years ago because I really enjoyed the cars and there are a lot of really great people that participate and and are willing to share info with others

Like others its a bit tiresome to log in and have to sift through the dieselgate trash in order to get to the threads that drew most of us to the forum in the first place

Maybe Fred and the mods would consider adding another "New Posts-No Dieselgate Noise" option that filters out the dieselgate garbage?
Try not to confuse the population on this forum with the population of TDi owners in general.