The recent 'Harvey' fuel price spike

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
After all the destruction resulting from Harvey, there is a small upside to report at least here in Maryland. Fuel prices have shot up about 50 cents/gal for regular. But at least at one of the local stations here in Bel Air diesel was only minimally affected. At least for the short term, diesel is priced lower than regular. Hold onto those TDIs.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
diesel is 10 cents cheaper than reg.. first time in ten years or more! here in GA.

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Several different models. Selling them back to VW
Wow, I wonder if this is somehow related to the dieselgate emissions scandal...???

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Both gas and diesel have gone up - diesel has been less of a spike so far. Central NC

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Same in Delaware. Diesel was about 20 cents more than RUG a week ago ($2.39 vs $2.19) and now is about 10 cents less ($2.59 vs $2.69), and gas is still trending higher faster each day.

grey matter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Golf Trendline DSG
Here in Ontario, Canada, there's a 24 cent per litre difference between regular gas and diesel.( $1.24 vs $1.00 for diesel....ouch. I'm sure it won't stay that way, but I'm glad I took the buyback/ trade in on a "new" 2015 Golf TDI. So far it's been a win win situation.

Jb22

TDI
2015 Passat DSG
Here in Syracuse, NY gas is up about .40, and diesel is up .20 at my station. At 7AM when I fueled up, both were 2.399. This afternoon, RUG was 2.799 and we were at $2.599.

LKN

TDI
2004 Passat TDI
Two stations were out of diesel earlier this AM, and the third had some. $2.69 a gallon.

About a 40 cent hike in the last few days.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Just filled up my Jeep with RUG this morning. $2.79 at Costco. In mid August, it was $2.65 at Costco. I am in San Diego. Have not filled the Passat in a month, so can not really say much about diesel prices. Also, gas prices generally increase just before Labor Day,

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Gulf coast is likely not highly involved in west coast fuel supplies

East coast, however, is another story.

we saw prices $2.79 in UP and northern Wisconsin, but lower in MN.

JCG57

TDI
'09 Jetta
Price is not the issue in Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex, it's supply. Gas hoarding started a few days ago and a lot of stations have run out of fuel.

There are many folks on the Texas coast that could use a car right now, it would be helpful if VW and EPA could agree on letting them temporarily use TDIs that will eventually end up getting scrapped.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
The price increases respond to trading prices on the New York Mercantile Exchange. Traders in the commodity contracts include banks and others who have nothing whatsoever to do with refining and distributing fuel.

It would not surprise me to see prices back down substantially by the end of September as refining resumes at the shut down facilities.

I only use premium gas in my car, and diesel in my BMW X5d. As of Saturday, at my favorite Claremont NH Mobil Station, diesel was up 16 cents a gallon from Monday, and 93 octane gas was up 17 cents.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Nissan LEAF FTW! :D
I've been very leery of the Leaf after listening to an owner in real-time on our ham radio morning commuter net. He is a Nissan salesman and commuted in his Leaf daily from Eastern Shore MD to his dealership on 301 on the western shore. On some of the colder winter days, he was really sweating bullets on the range just one way to work (he recharged at the dealership for the ride back home). He was shutting off various features to save range and hardly using heat on some very cold mornings. Yikes.

That car just wouldn't work for me with my commute and no opportunity to recharge during work.

RSTX

Veteran Member
Yeah, the LEAF is not for everyone. My wife drives it during the week. She goes 5 miles, parks, then 5 miles home. We don't charge it every night. More like every third night. Weekends we use it almost exclusively. We do have a 240V EVSE that we use for a quick charge. For us the LEAF is perfect. During the winter (such as it is in south/central TX) we get less mileage. But, again, my wife's 10 mile commute is really perfect for an EV. We paid $13,800 for a 2015 with 6500 miles on it last December. We have almost 8000 more miles on it now. Great for what it is.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Where I am located in Central Coast California, diesel prices have been hovering at or below regular unleaded gas prices for a few years now. In all the BMW gas cars I've owned, I've only used premium. I even use premium in my '82 Rabbit Truck gasser. So as far as I'm concerned, diesel prices are well below what I would've normally been using.

It is my observation that gas prices fluctuate quite a bit based on anticipated consumer demand. I'm guessing diesel prices are more of a slow and steady rise, because it is tied to commercial industries. If diesel prices fluctuated as much as gas, it would drive produce prices crazy.

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
Prices up 50 cents compared to last month in FL.

And the Leaf is great until Harvey knocks out your power.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Connecticut prices only up 20 cents and 10 cents below reg 87 gas. It is a miracle,since Ct is always higher than most states.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
how is this dieselgate related? move it over to fuel folder.

tdiDreaming

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Still this morning in McKinney Tx (north DFW)

Unleaded - $2.69/gal
Diesel - $2.22/gal