The Official mTDI MK1 GTD thread...finally...

RabbitGTDJoe

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit GTD (future TDI)
After posting here and there on Fred's...finally decided to make a thread about my car and its current build progress. How far back should I go? With pics? oye...that'd make for a big thread to start with. I'll sum it up pretty quick though. Car started out as a reg. 1.6 NA diesel, I drove it through school (its always been in my family) and then started a resto in college and converted to 1.6 TD. I modded and rebuilt the motor for a nice 115hp by '03 and then the seals went in the turbo (25psi) and I didn't really mess with it til last fall when I found a deal on a 1z TDI motor and was able to sell the motor that I had for what the TDI cost used...at 126k...

So...some pics...
My GTD...WF03, last event shown at...

Nashty's Rabbit...source of today's post! Was fun though...

My buddy Steve's 16v Rabbit... now sleeping for winter

And the current status of the GTD as the m-TDI is being built in my basement and it awaits...

Next installment please ...

RabbitGTDJoe

Veteran Member
TDI
These are posted from other threads i had posted in or started... kinda filling in the gaps...

More pics for the fun file...
Working on the intake setup =) Hoping to be able to port the G60 manifold out to where I'd like to have it...

modifying the boost return valve to serve as an inlet flange =)

ALH Piston set complete... reducing compression ratio slightly with these as well as sending them in now that I have the set (instead of the stock 1z pistons) for TBC and PC-9 coatings at SwainTech http://www.swaintech.com

Progress...slowly but surely
While I'm waiting for the pistons to come back from the machine shop I thought I'd get started on the block and crank install...that didn't go so well!
Ran into this

Nice... engine had the newer style intergral seal/carrier for the rear main and I have parts as ETKA shows and lists and Autohaus AZ had in stock for the older style, press in rear main seal carrier with paper gasket to seal... oye. Probably going to go to the old carrier style since I already have the parts for that...just need to get one off a spare block I have around...
Did get the squirters installed (WOW) and the freeze plugs...

guess I'll work on the head while I wait for int. bearings to come and get the carrier i need for the rear main crank seal...
Things are looking organized finally though for the reassembly!

RabbitGTDJoe

Veteran Member
TDI
Continuing...
Before machining...

After machining to bring down the CR slightly to allow for more fuel/boost as well as elminate hot spots associated with the lip...

CR should now be around 17.5:1 after ceramic coating which I hope they will go in for through SwainTech next week =)
Also, using the cummins pump on my application and needed to find a solution to the injection pump pulley since the nose on the cummins pump is shorter than a TDI unit. I liked the stoutness of the MK4 style TDI injection pump sprocket and the fact that it is "adjustable" for timing without loosing the pump...so I went the route of having this machined to fit. Problem was, turned correctly on the injection pump pulley's hub it stuck out to far and wouldn't align. Turn it around backwards and it would align but would hit against the injection pump bracket, its "bubble" on the one. So...problem fixed =)
Before:

After:

RabbitGTDJoe

Veteran Member
TDI
Here are some pics of the TBC top coating and the PC-9 dry film coating on the skirts...

And I'm almost ready to install them believe it or not. Got the crank installed and am hopefully going to finish install the seals and their carriers tonight or tomorrow... have to wait for a new paper rear gasket to come in again though for the rear...

RabbitGTDJoe

Veteran Member
TDI
and finally....today....

Wasn't feeling well today so I stayed home...ended up getting antzy though and thought I'd wrench downstairs for a while...got some stuff done
After a nice delay due to some tq differences between the intergrated rear main seal/carrier and the old style press in seal w/ paper gasket and carrier...got it installed, and the block/crank assembly onto the stand...

Also...can't beat the quality of OEM Goetze rings... I was impressed with the used ones and how much "in spec" they were even at 126k when I tore the motor down this fall...barely showed signs of use. Most impressed with the new units out of the box and now installed as well... glad I chose the OEM route instead of going Total Seal

Always start with good materials

Cleaning Gasket surface (night and day pic) prior to piston install...

Ready to install machined and coated pistons...

Tick tick tick...

Looks like the bottom end can be done by the end of the week! Wahoo!
Sorry for the multiple posts, but I should have started a thread a while back as I did other places...hope its of interest

Joe

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Wow, that engine is beautiful!

please, keep us updated ojn the progress.

I agree, the NAHSty rabbit is very inspirational.. those guys in Durty Dubs are a good bunch of guys. I met them all at SVF2004.

RabbitGTDJoe

Veteran Member
TDI
Growler said:
Wow, that engine is beautiful!

please, keep us updated ojn the progress.

I agree, the NAHSty rabbit is very inspirational.. those guys in Durty Dubs are a good bunch of guys. I met them all at SVF2004.
Thanks...and your right. Nashty was doing the full go on his car when I was building mine up the first time around. He did alot of things "better" that hopefully I'll be able to do in the future but the car was really inspirational. I believe he is trying to sell/part it now though! As far as I've followed on the vortex.
Its going to be a fun ride though and I'm def. glad forward progress is being made now.

Thanks for the comments... more to come!

Joe

RabbitGTDJoe

Veteran Member
TDI
Forward Progress...the bottom end is pretty much done. Going to wait to put on the oil pan as I think I'm going to pick up a windage tray just to make things complete down there. Have to wait for some funds though... :)

Guess I'll start in on the port work on the head and manifolds and possibly some pump work too this weekend.
Joe

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
Don't go silly with the porting......but that motor is looking to good to be a dirty oil burner..........very very smart , what boost will you be aiming for again i've forgotten 25psi!!! and 200hp!!!

If its any comfort i was running this sort of power for quite a while in my last setup with alot less than you've done here , so all being well you should be well safe with the raceware bolts ex.

Last edited:

paulukbristol

TDI
lupo 99' black
Great job rabbitjoe, ive been following your thread on the GTD forum. Looking forward to seeing the end result.

Particulary interested in the coating on the pistons. I have a to get around the fact that i have no piston oil jets on a N/A i want to turbo, so was wondering if coating the pistons might help prevent piston meltdown.

Anyway that engine is looking so good. Keep us updated. Cheers

RabbitGTDJoe

Veteran Member
TDI
mojogoes...thanks for the nice comments! Wish I had more pics to update this with but I'm in a holding pattern waiting for funds to come through so I can finish it up...

def. not going crazy on the porting. The most porting will be to the intake manifold side of things because of the amt. of porting that I need to do to the G60 intake manifold in order to get it to take D shape ports. The head itself I'm going to do a very basic clean up too, etc. Since swirl is ultimately effected by the entire path of the intake port coming into the head I want to be super careful. Though, I have been looking over the SAE paper on the TDI and see that the best flowing Swirl port wasn't used and it could be possible to port mine to make it more like that...but then, the gamble with a $600 head at this stage in the game is kinda scary. Very min. on the porting. Not convinced that it needs it drastically either considering these motors don't see much over 5k where porting really does translate to power gains. I know there is debates on this, etc. Its my own feeling.
I'm shooting for 25-28psi intially and around the 200hp mark...shouldn't be too hard with what I have. That is basically to keep it on the ground as much as i can since its going into an MK1. If i could get myself to go MK2 I could really open things up...but then...i think I'd be doing an PD motor in and MK2 though too :)

paulukbristol...thanks for your comments as well!
The coating on the pistons was done by Swaintech in Scottsville, NY...close to Rochester. Redrotors a while back pointed me there way and it was just this year that I really began talking to them and they even put me in contact with others that have used their coatings, etc. and they all had nothing but good to say about them.
They were coated with TBC top coating which greatly reduces heat dissapation through the piston and keeps the heat in the combustion chamber where it should be. Afterall, any kind of heat is energy, and energy lost through the piston is potential power loss...so, it may have its benefits there. The biggest reason i did it was for the heat dissapation factor and being able to elminate the hot spots of the piston (already pretty much done with the machining of the lip off the piston as well) but also for the benefits mentioned in the latter.
The PC-9 dry film coating on the skirts basically steps up what VW started on with the TDI pistons and there skirt coatings. This stuff just provides more coverage vs. what was done on the stock pistons and is supposed to last ALOT longer and is able to operate in EXTREME condition to keep the motor from being ruined in the event of say an sudden massive oil pressure loss, etc.
All said....cheap insurance... around the $200 mark for all four when done...not bad for the potential benefits of it. I'll be impressed to see what it will do. What would have been even nicer was if coating the exhaust ports and valves were in the budget this year.

As far as the coatings preventing your non-squirter engine to meltdown, etc... They are formulated to protect against dissapation like i said...therefore, the pistons won't get nearly as hot, etc. but I don't know if I'd call it a replacement for oil squirters. They do their job well (squirters). I'd say if your going to do a relatively mild build on the non-squirter block...then it'd be ok... say 15psi ...but if you go into the high fueling and boost range then you want to do all you can to keep heat down to prevent the worst case scenarios...
So, guess you have to take a look at your targets...what are you shooting for hp/tq wise?

Joe

Last edited:

paulukbristol

TDI
lupo 99' black
what are you shooting for hp/tq wise?
Well my engine is a 1.7 60hp, if i could get 80-90hp that would be great. Dont laugh. But hey i got a thread in the conversion section, dont wanna spoil this one. cheers

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
Yes Joe i remember Simon modifying the pistons so as to keep the oil squrting holes for cooling.

paulukbristol

TDI
lupo 99' black
Thanks joe and moe, sorry for the hijack joe, lets get back on track. Any progress updates?

RabbitGTDJoe

Veteran Member
TDI
not yet. waiting for tax money and just kinda laxed the last week or so on it. Had the battery in our 02 1.8T die last week and had to replace and the battery in my 79 daily died monday...so...waiting for funds :) for a couple other goodies...

RabbitGTDJoe

Veteran Member
TDI
TTT new parts arrived today. Slight change in the project...or rather which MK1 the motor is going in but I should have the bottom end completely buttoned tonight (was waiting for windage tray, etc.) and hopefully the head done next week :)

Joe

paulukbristol

TDI
lupo 99' black
hi joe, engine looking any different?

I was showing a friend this thread today and i was still amazed as he was on the skill required for the job.

cheers

RabbitGTDJoe

Veteran Member
TDI
hopefully within the next week or so, you'll see the entire long block done... have to get batteries to take pics with the digi cam but the windage tray and oil pan will go on tonight or tomorrow... then its firing up the air compressor to do the mild port work i'm going to do and then reassemble the head. I'm also waiting on EIP to get my some head studs for the motor. I had contacted Raceware and was going to get them through them but there was a 10 buck price increase through them, plus 11 for shipping. I was told that the page with the old prices (which comes up when you search for them) is wrong...yet, still there... hmm.
Anyways, was going to go with ARP units but they (EIP) can't get them and they were able to get the Raceware's for me for the old price of 179.00, so...saving in the end, about 10 bucks... but man... just waiting for EIP to get them in and ship them to me...

All is set and ready to go though for final assembly...

I'm possibly also rethinking the use of the AWIC that I have and possibly going to go with a FMIC. We'll see though as I'd really love to try and use the setup I have... could be overkill though !

Thanks for the comps! Will update pics here as well when i take them

Joe

RabbitGTDJoe

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, a few updates. Just tying up loose ends, etc. and trying to finish the head and major port work to the intake manifold so i can finally get this buttoned up. Also, waiting on funds to pay for a clutch for the car that will support the power for now until a fully built tranny is done next winter.

Engine as it sits now...

Have everything done for the bottom of course as mentioned way above here somewhere. Received and installed the racewares finally after a few weeks of wondering whether both ARP and Raceware were in limbo or what... Also installed the external oil cooler sandwich and finished the modifications I needed to make to the MK1 style passenger side mount. I liked the beefy structure of the diesel mount compared to the gasser version so I opted for it instead

Some of the mTDI's out there are using the non-TDI timing belt setup for their cars. I wanted to use the stock timing belt setup with the deflection pulley as well as the belt cover (in case I want to run my optical tach setup) so I had to do a little bit of modifying to the t-belt backing plate as well... Nothing much here though...

Some other misc pics. I'm saving the head for later...i've been gradually working on the porting, etc. Haven't actually ported the head yet and am trying to decide which route i want to go with it for this year. I may just do a light port match to clean up the castings a bit as well. Next year, I'd like to run an AAZ cam and see how it performs as well as upgrading to a Holset turbo more than likely.

Here are some other pics though

Manifold tapped for EGT

G60 intake manifold... as you can see...porting it out to the D ports takes ALOT of material away...i'm "tapering" the port into the manifold in order to retain a smooth flow but also retaining as much strength as possible in the manifold itself. You can see the differences here. This is just a rough out and I've progressed much farther but just haven't taken the pics of it yet :)

Also have the modification to the inlet side/ modified boost return section of a G60 throttle body done as well (just removed the valve, capped and welded the portion that needed it) and its ready to go as well. AWIC now has a couple of mounts fabbed to go where the battery sits now in the car and the other odds and ends such as the battery relocation kit has arrived as well as my aeroquip fittings to make a nice return line for the turbo to the block and their socketless hose (which rocks by the way) to re plumb the ext. oil cooler. No clamps needed!

I should just go snap pics of all of that. The plan was to have the motor buttoned up and in here in the next week. However, with some stuff at work and just craziness it seems in the weekends I've fallen a bit behind. Plus, I'm riding the bike alot more as well trying to enjoy what has started to seem to be spring. Slating for the first or second week in may of putting the motor in finally!

If anyone knows of a source. I'm trying to locate two things. An auxilary radiator from a VR6 or an aux radiator from an Audi 5cyl 20v car for my AWIC unit instead of using a heater core.

So, there is a little update. I'm really itching to have this in and going. Guess it just finishing it up !

How is your project coming mojogoes? Also, i seem to be working on alot of other people's projects as well. I've had four or five phone calls in the last few weeks from corresponding emails with questions, ideas, etc. on other mTDI projects.

Joe

Last edited:

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
Its all looking so good Joe.....i would agree with just a light porting etc and the azz cam should work looking what others say and have done , don't get bogged down with to much detail if in fact your going for more power later because if anything happens to this setup there's your excuse rip it down again and do everything you want (not that it will).

My cars coming on a tad slow but i must addmit i keep adding items like a motor-sport gear changer made to measure seat plus 5 point harness etc .

They may have what your looking for on the vortex/ebay , and the VR6 manifold should be good.

RabbitGTDJoe

Veteran Member
TDI
A little bit of an update.... ever so inching closer to completion. Waiting on a clutch to arrive next week and for me to finish up the headwork here as its been slow with having to change up the car the motor is going into (found a couple structural problems with the GTD)...but I'm shooting for having the motor ready to drop in by the end of the week. Whether it'll happen next weekend or not...not sure, depends on work, time, etc. as I do rely on the 79 quite a bit for the getting around...
So...some pics....
Here is the 79 I got last fall...currently still sporting its 1.5 NA but doing quite well and is SOOOO solid!
a few before and afters as I transferred all suspension from the GTD to the 79 as well as interior and other goodies to come... including the 10.1 upgrade you'll see in the pics...
Prior to last weekend...

and as of last weekend after the GC coilovers and bilsteins were transferred to the front with the 10.1 brake upgrade as well...

Has a bit of a high stance in the rear at the moment as I'm waiting to transfer the bilsteins for the rear from the GTD until i get my 200mm drums prepped for going on the car so it can be done all at once. I also added the flares, euro bumpers, the centra deep dish rims to the mix as well as the poly bushings one can't live without! The car has totally transformed! Just...the 1.5NA isn't pushing much
So... onto the motor.
Current status...
bottom end complete, studs installed. Mild port match and polish completed to head for most part and I will reassemble probably tomorrow after i clean a few things up.
Motor as it is now...

MK1 diesel modified mount installed...opted for the diesel mount over the gasser unit because of the extra reinforcement and bulk that the diesel mount seems to have vs. the gas one. Plus, i've seen gas ones quite tweaked!

Here is some of what I've had to work with in porting out the G60 intake manifold to accomodate the "D" ports of the TDI. The D ports actually take the manifold out to its limits...if not beyond with the gasket match to the new TDI intake manifold gasket. I've ported out just about as far as I want to go having left myself room to retain the strength of the manifold by keeping a taper to the port which took away alot less material. I still need to finish it, probably an hour or so left in it...but you get the idea. I think for next winters upgrades I'll try and find a SDI manifold or build a homemade manifold using the lower portion of an SDI unit or build up the top of the G60 manifold more to allow more room to port without having to worry about cracking...

as it stands now...some more time left in finishing...

and finally...the mild port and match on the head...turned out fairly well. not alot more cleanup to do...but def. matched to the gaskets and is so much more smooth without going down and affecting the swirl in the port or the bowl. That'll be next winters project along with more fun!

oh yes...and the TDI valves have been so much fun to clean...had to soak for quite a while in the simple green mixture...ready to go though...

So, thats about it for now. Coming along. Will reassemble the head tomorrow more than likely and finishing the intake manifold as well as matching the exhaust manifold. Button top end of engine and finish detailing the pump now that my gov. setup is complete...
In a few weeks....hopefully barking to life!
Joe

RabbitGTDJoe

Veteran Member
TDI
Its begun...the old 1.5 is almost out of the 79...haven't had time to get the pesky exhaust bolt holding the motor in at the moment yet this week as my 72 Westy kinda had to take over commuter duty and its not gas friendly so I've been biking to work and staying over in the area between shifts...hoping to get the TDI in at least this weekend...
But....some pics of progress... thought I had a few of my 4 hr ripping session over the weekend of removing the old motor, but appears I only took one of the car...

Finishing the head...

Found a helper at work that loves to work on motors who helped hand lap in the valves again and installed the cam and lifters ...

Head installed...