The Official mTDI MK1 GTD thread...finally...

RabbitGTDJoe

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit GTD (future TDI)
More, only 10 pics to a post ...

The nozzles for now until Race 520's come into my budget...
thanks to Karl...

Marking and aligning the MKIV style adjustable inection pump pulley hub and setting initial timing marks for easy reference down the road...

Attempt to work with the timing belt backing plate so I could use the upper cover. It worked, modfied, fit, etc. However, once the hub was pressed to the pump and the pump pulley installed and tightened...the assembly rubbed...so scratched the upper timing belt cover and backing plate...

Current status of engine...almost ready, only a few things to do and install the exhaust manifold w/ turbo (retapped for larger studs) as well as the intake manifold once in the car.

The MKIV injection pump pulley will be so sweet. It adjusts very easily and will make "on the fly" timing advance/retard a snap with the dial indicator.

Thats all for now...
Joe

jettafock

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI auto, platinum gray, ESP
Looking very nice, can't wait to see it at Waterfest. Good luck on the rest of the build.

RabbitGTDJoe

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll post pics here later on but the motor is done for the most part and the 1.5 is out of the 79 and the TDI should be going in here this week.

I've run into a bit of a problem though with the intake manifold that I'm using. Of course, if you have read...its the G60 unit. I'm also using the 8v cast turbo manifold that backsets the turbo on the motor. Its an APR unit.
The problem... well, took care of the securing bracket that intially was giving me fitment problems on the back of the manifold....easy goes...
Then, mounted the turbo and fit the manifold and found that the G60 unit runners "swoop" back a bit more than the MK1 style manifold (which I ran previously on the IDI TD I had built) and its causing the number 1 runner on the manifold to hit the compressor housing of the turbo...

I had three ideas...
Try and take material away from the runner but am worried about the wall thickness of the runner itself and don't believe I could sucessfully do it without putting a hole in it.

Run a spacer in between the manifold and the turbo that I'm running...basically...get another "T3" flange and sandwich it between the turbo and the manifold which will give me the spacing I need without hopefully causing firewall issues...

Other one was....ditch the manifold for now and try and find a stock TDI manifold or even better, a PD unit if I can find one.
I'm trying to get the car up and running as fast as possible and this is going to prove to be the biggest hangup at the moment.

Ideas? thoughts...opinions? Anyone have a manifold laying around?

Joe

RabbitGTDJoe

Veteran Member
TDI
Just a quick update...

Think I've solved the manifold problem with running a spacer that I'm now waiting to come in the mail in between the ATP manifold and the turbo. Its 1/2" thick so it'll give me PLENTY of clearance room and will still clear the firewall in the MK1....luckily there is alot of room back there.

Didn't have much luck sourcing a PD or used VE TDI intake manifold as of yet anyways...

Pics to come...

Joe

RabbitGTDJoe

Veteran Member
TDI
More progress...the old 1.5 is out in the mTDI is sitting in the engine bay. Decided that I needed a day off yesterday and just stayed home, took the sick time and made major progress on things with the mTDI. I had alot of debating to do about the engine compartment, whether to paint it or not since the car is going in this winter for a complete paintjob, etc. in the original Inari color. I couldn't see painting up the engine bay for about 5 months of driving and the work involved in removing all the paint after...so, i gave it a good cleaning and went with that.
As far as transmission selection, I had a few here to chose from. I've got a 4 speed GC, an FN from the GTD, an FO which is the one that was on the 1.5 that I just pulled as well as a 2y 16v tranny. I decided to use the FN because it was in the GTD and if anything it is the one that would "go" first as far as grenading. The FO must have been very lightly used as it shifts like a dream and I'd like to use it as part of a base for the tranny I'll be building this winter to better suit the car since an LSD, etc. wasn't in the works $$$ wise this year. It'll be the FO gearset with a 3.67 final from the 2y with all new syncs, gaskets, LSD, etc. I didn't detail the tranny either...once again, couldn't see the sense in it when it could go or just be removed come fall again.
So....some pictures... the motor is sitting in the bay now waiting for everything to be hooked up. I'm waiting for an inlet weld flange to come for the T3 that I can use as a spacer as I was having a slight issue when fitting everything together with the ATP manifold and the G60 intake manifold hitting the compressor housing on the turbo once mounted. The spacer flange will give me the clearance I need. It seems that accounting for the fact when I did the GTD with the IDI TD before and its downpipe and knowing I wanted to go TDI in the future paid off as the downpipe fits perfectly to the slightly taller block, etc. Hooking everything up, etc. shouldn't take too long now and I look to maybe here it run this weekend possibly depending on when that flange gets here, and the weather which isn't looking too great...
So... last weekend...

Yesterday... and don't worry, that FRAM filter is only on there to keep it on there for the initial start/warmup...then I'll be changing the oil right away and moving to my Mann filter and Amsoil =)

Its a weird feeling that the motor isn't going into the GTD but it'll be nice to have the feel back. Never intended on the 79 being so rock solid and that it would be receiving this as it first started out a easy transpo solution for $100 last fall...
Joe

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
That engine looks so beautiful! Maybe I missed it, but what are you using for a turbocharger? I can't see it in the picture other save for the 4-bolt T3 flange. Is that a sign of things to come? ;)

My family used to own a `79 Rabbit GTI, later an `84 Jetta GLI. I have such fondness for the pre-Westmoreland Rabbits with the round headlights.

RabbitGTDJoe

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the comps...

The turbo for this year is a T3 garrett... .42 cold .48 hot... for this year. Its from a Merc 300D Next fall...or this summer should the funds present themselves...i'm thinking of getting a Holset. I'll have the fuel and flow to make it worth it.

I'll be posting pics of the snail here probably later tonight as I prep it, etc...

The early rabbits are def. fun...and this one honestly has a different feel than my other one which is an 81 Westy rabbit....

Joe

RabbitGTDJoe

Veteran Member
TDI
More progress...if things keep moving I might be able to start it for the first time tomorrow... that'd be nice.
Got quite a bit done here today... started to ran so I had to come inside for now...
So...here we go...
Finished G60 intake manifold with modified boost return section to serve as inlet...

Installed...

Preparing this summer's Snail for action... next it'll be a holset !

Installed w/ boost return on intake manifold as well as oil return line...

Looks like its going to clear up...out to do some more...
Joe

RabbitGTDJoe

Veteran Member
TDI
Its' AlIvE.....IT'S ALIVE!!!
Yeap, I got it running this weekend. Only for a really short burst and it took forever to get the fuel system primed but it did come to life yesterday...no exhaust, no intake plumbing, etc. So I need to work on solutions there before I can start it and let it go on its own to warmup, etc. It was exiting to hear it start though :)

Joe

Sputterputz

Vendor
TDI
03 TDI reflex
I have been folowing this thread more to make sure you didnt stray from your mtdi, as I have a little pd150 rabbit that is getting ready to come out of hiding and I dont want to spoil your build (which is phenominal) congrats on hearing it run, I will be interested to see it finished, I have alittle further to go with my wiring of the ECU and cluster yet, but I will have information soon enough.
sal

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Congratulations on first start, Joe! It's a big milestone. Good luck on the rest. :)

RabbitGTDJoe

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanx for the comps... :)

Worked on cutting the other portion of the downpipe tonight and remarking it for where it needs welded to fit the new setup. Two sections to weld and it'll be done. Also figuring out temp plumbing for the intake manifold to compressor outlet until I mount the air/water unit... Can't wait to just let it run, idle and then drive it for the first time....hopefully....this weekend.

Sputterputz where were you able to source a 150PD? and that should be a really interesting build :)

Joe

Sputterputz

Vendor
TDI
03 TDI reflex
I actually have a 130 motor with 150 injectors and 150 ecu and cluster, the only big difference in the motors is the injectors (I am pretty sure my info is right) I got it from EuroParts.

RabbitGTDJoe

Veteran Member
TDI
Very nice...good to hear...that should be a cool one to see as well.

Got the downpipe back today from having clocked and welded it where it needed too....its now a PERFECT fit....couldn't ask for better...time to go install it and transfer the rest of the 2.5 exhaust from the one car to the other... Then....its just temp intake plumbing and compressor plumbing and gauges, some misc wiring for the alternator and we are good to go!

Joe

RabbitGTDJoe

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry for the delay on updating. The recent turn for nicer whether, the swap as well as busy weekends have kept me from updating things on the forum here.

So a quick one as I spent my day outside today wiring for EGT, oil pressure as well as my boost gauge...

The car is up and running....and running STRONG. I haven't taken it far yet but have had it moving around and can tell whats in store for the future here this summer.
Currently there is no exhaust on the car which will be finished this week. I needed another modification to the current downpipe which has been the "longest" part of finishing this up. If I had welding equip here on my own...it'd already be done. In the recent week I've thought about how quiet the car is even with NOTHING on it at the moment (comparing to my 91 corrado Lysholm I had w/ SS 2.5 borla/TT system) and am considering doing a side exit exhaust instead of using the TT setup I already have with the flowmaster from the former GTD (its a 2.5 system as well). It always fit nicely but with the car lowered would "rub" sometimes and with the current slate I like the ideas of what the side exit could offer. Would be a really simple install as well....one turn.
Any thoughts on that?

As for other things. After working a few oddball things out with the pump the car starts and runs EXCELLENT, very smooth and I can't tell you how much I love the smoothness of the serp. setup. SO NICE!!! I learned that in reading I see that David Marshall has gone the route of the pistons I did similar to Kermas for lower CR (mine running the TBC coating and side PC9 though) and am very happy to say that it starts and runs great with little smoke other than what the happy 12mm pump is wanting to put out. Currently injection pump timing is set at 1.05mm from the closest I can get it using my crap (in.) gauge. I'm awaiting the arrival this week of a Holley blue pump to use as a lift pump on the car and have been getting ready to relocate the battery to mount the intercooler in.
Currently I do not have a tach in which is something I'd like to solve very quickly. I was unable to use my "optical tach" setup from roger brown as I was not able to use the upper timing belt cover and its backing plate without having rubbing issues on the injection pump sprocket. I've been toying with using the TDI's crank sensor, seeing if I can get a signal from it, or even possibly converting the early gasser tach I have here to "W" terminal operation but haven't decided "EXACTLY" what route I'd like to go yet.

Really at the moment though the only thing holding things up is getting an exhaust on and taking it out for a spin... just playing around in the driveway is giving me some clues though. Maybe I'll update again later with some pics. Want to see if I can get the boost gauge plumbing in before dark here though...

L8ter

Joe

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Great progress. When you get a chance:

pics of the downpipe would be cool

AntonUK

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi80tdi, A2 ahf project in progress...
Joe! Massive props for your success you have done very well....and a lot quicker than me:) Will send you pm soon about mine...

Cya.

RabbitGTDJoe

Veteran Member
TDI
Actually, the last few weeks have been CRAZY busy for me and left me very little time to do anything on the rabbit. Work all week long and then I was gone an extra weekend I wasn't expecting plus with the extra rain that we got here in this area at the end of the month/beginning of July, it really hampered the time I did have to work since I'm working from two different places. So, where am I at? I have some pics and will post them later on here...

I have installed an assist pump utilizing a Holley blue unit for helping out the big cummins pump, I also relocated the fuel filter slightly am am finishing the install of the fuel cooler that I have plumbed to the pump return. All looks good there.
I went back and fixed a few things I wasn't too keen or happy with since I got things done. Namely, not being able to use the upper timing belt backing plate and thus the upper cover which did two things for me...
1. Gives me more piece of mind for things "flying" in and breaking belts, etc...
2. Gives more easy and flexible passenger for the intake tube so I don't have to worry about belts rubbing it, the filter, etc.
I had an issue with it hitting (the backing plate) and not clearancing correctly with the MKIV style injection pump pulley and hub I'm running on the pump. Turned out to be a simple fix so now I've regained use of the upper cover and will be able to reinstall and use the optical tachometer setup I have as well. Another benefit I guess.

Also was chasing an issue with the alternator pulley coming loose from the alternator itself. Thing its finally nipped...at least no problems as of yet.

I did get to take the car out this last weekend here after redoing the timing belt after the belt cover backing plate install, etc (by the way...t belt jobs are so slick now, I'm down to probably at the most having 25 min into them). It really is ready to move. Scared the neighbors with the sound of the exhaust at the moment (finally fitting the rest of it Friday I hope) but it'll easily break loose if I want it to in 1-3, I didn't get it up any higher. Smoke is under control at the moment and injection pump timing is going to take some fine tuning to see what I like best but its def. going to be a mover.

I was hoping to have it ready for the weekend for WF but it just didn't happen with all the stuff, etc. I am planning on going to TDI Fest though, got the email the other day and Valley Forge, PA isn't a bad drive from here.. :) So I'll be there.... might do H20 as well.

It would have been perfect too... as it has it, I'm on my way to the Outer Banks of NC for a week starting Sunday, leaving Sat. night for Philly in which I had orginally hoped to make exhbition at WF but I'd rather finish safe rather than sorry. Exactly one week behind, as when I get back I'll be able to finish up the odds and ends and then do the intercooler and I'm good to go. It'll be around def. though. So...thats enough with no pics for now

I'll post them later showing some of what has been done.

Joe

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
RabbitGTDJoe said:
Actually, the last few weeks have been CRAZY busy for me and left me very little time to do anything on the rabbit. Work all week long and then I was gone an extra weekend I wasn't expecting plus with the extra rain that we got here in this area at the end of the month/beginning of July, it really hampered the time I did have to work since I'm working from two different places. So, where am I at? I have some pics and will post them later on here...

I have installed an assist pump utilizing a Holley blue unit for helping out the big cummins pump, I also relocated the fuel filter slightly Did you mount it in the old charcoal canister hole? I did am am finishing the install of the fuel cooler that I have plumbed to the pump return. All looks good there.
I went back and fixed a few things I wasn't too keen or happy with since I got things done. Namely, not being able to use the upper timing belt backing plate and thus the upper cover which did two things for me...
1. Gives me more piece of mind for things "flying" in and breaking belts, etc...
2. Gives more easy and flexible passenger for the intake tube so I don't have to worry about belts rubbing it, the filter, etc.
I had an issue with it hitting (the backing plate) and not clearancing correctly with the MKIV style injection pump pulley and hub I'm running on the pump. Turned out to be a simple fix so now I've regained use of the upper cover and will be able to reinstall and use the optical tachometer setup I have as well. Another benefit I guess.

Also was chasing an issue with the alternator pulley coming loose from the alternator itself. Thing its finally nipped...at least no problems as of yet.

I did get to take the car out this last weekend here after redoing the timing belt after the belt cover backing plate install, etc (by the way...t belt jobs are so slick now, I'm down to probably at the most having 25 min into them). It really is ready to move. Scared the neighbors with the sound of the exhaust at the moment (finally fitting the rest of it Friday I hope) but it'll easily break loose if I want it to in 1-3, I didn't get it up any higher. Smoke is under control at the moment and injection pump timing is going to take some fine tuning to see what I like best but its def. going to be a mover.

I was hoping to have it ready for the weekend for WF but it just didn't happen with all the stuff, etc. I am planning on going to TDI Fest though, got the email the other day and Valley Forge, PA isn't a bad drive from here.. :) So I'll be there.... might do H20 as well.

It would have been perfect too... as it has it, I'm on my way to the Outer Banks of NC for a week starting Sunday, leaving Sat. night for Philly in which I had orginally hoped to make exhbition at WF but I'd rather finish safe rather than sorry. Exactly one week behind, as when I get back I'll be able to finish up the odds and ends and then do the intercooler and I'm good to go. It'll be around def. though. So...thats enough with no pics for now

I'll post them later showing some of what has been done.

Joe
keep it coming!

RabbitGTDJoe

Veteran Member
TDI
no...didn't remount it in the charcoal canister hole...though, that would be a viable place too as it (on my German MK1 anyways) sits up in the passenger side fender... I kept it in the engine compartment. May upgrade to CAT 2 later so I kept it inside...just downstream of the fuel pump that I installed right in front of the pass. side front strut tower...pics in a little while here...need to finish dinner first!

Joe

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I forgot that you are working on a MK1 and not a Mk2 sorry