The New "THOR" Skid Plate For Your Passat B5/B5.5 By Evolution

EVONELLY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Touareg TDI
Happy New Year everyone. :eek:

I wanted to start off the new year with a bang by introducing our newest skid plate. It is the Evolution B5/B5.5 Passat Smooth Aluminum Skid Plate "Thor". This Passat skid plate is the answer to all the inquires from our Passat customers. It is designed to give maximum protection and be the strongest skid plate avalable on the market. Specially designed welded aluminum side walls to give superior strength and reliability. This skid plate was engineered and designed with the help of certified VW mechanics and certified machinists, guaranteeing that this skid plate is a quality product. It fits perfect regardless of which engine your Passat has. We included an air duct that matches the stock air duct in order to maintain the great areodynamic features of the Passat. It also directs the cool air directly onto the transmission keeping the temps down so you don't have any transmission faliures.

The attachment points for the skid plate are bomb proof! We use two 8mm bolts and one 6mm inside bolt along the front. And at the back there are two 10mm bolts that are bolted right to the frame.

Everything you will need comes in your kit. Live FED-EX shipping rates are intigratted on all our products when you add them to your cart. We are taking pre-orders now. It is first come, first shipped. This skid plate will ship to you on Feb 1, 2006. Our introductory price is $288CAD with no tax to US customers and GST tax to Canadian customers.

Please visit us at:

http://evolutionimport.com

"THOR"

Last edited:

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, White, Leather
I would buy a Passat just to have that skidplate.:D

That's really some nice work, very cool.

good luck
Dave

BTW: is it guaranteed to help you ride over top of Moose?
I smacked a moose in Prince George a few years back. :rolleyes: Messy

Last edited:

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Variant TDI Black w/Gray
First - apologies to all if this is a duplicate. I posted these questions earlier today but they aren't appearing on the forum.... so here I go again!

Neil,

I am ready to place an order for a skid plate for my 2005 Passat TDI wagon but have a couple of questions first:

1. Earlier threads state that a significant competetive advantage of your product is the alignment hole in the skid plate. It states that this offers major strength and stabilty to the product. The photo on yor website for the Passat skid plate looks to be smooth - no alignment hole. Is this not needed for the Passat configuration? If not, why?

2. The optional oil drain hole mentioned in prior posts is a big plus for your product. My car is under warranty and the dealer will be doing all service so long as it is. I don't want them to remove and reinstall the plate every oil change! I do not see anyplace on your website where I can specify that I want to purchase the option.

I'd appreciate your reply so that I can decide on which skid plate to buy and place my order.

Thanks,
Jack

EVONELLY

TDI
2006 Touareg TDI
I got your email Jack and responded to your questions. Just so everyone else knows, the Passat skid plate does not require an alighnment hole like the ATLAS skid plate. Also the THOR skid plate cannot have an oil drain access hole. For that matter I suggest that no one puts an access hole on any Passat skid plate. The hole would be right at the bottom of the ramp part of the skid plate. This is the worst location to put a hole as it will not only scoop up water, dirt, snow, sticks and rocks but if you hit something solid it will easily catch the solid object and do a lot of damage. Because of these reasons I cannot offer a oil drain access hole. As for instalation, there is no drilling required to the frame of the car.:)

Last edited:

v8volvo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
I remember some people were complaining about a vibration issue with this skid plate...something to do with the solid spacers' interaction with the aluminum bar on the skidplate and the metal chassis rail? Has this been addressed? Hoping to order one of these soon...looks like a very well-made piece.

EVONELLY

TDI
2006 Touareg TDI
We only had one real customer that had some slight vibration issues. The cure is three little rubber washers at the front that go inbetween the skid plate and the lower intercooler pipe. All of the kits have these rubber washers now.

I'll look forward to your order v8volvo.

Cheers.:)

v8volvo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Forgive my questions--looked at installation instructions on your website--is that lower intercooler pipe strong enough to support the force of the impacts the skidplate is designed to withstand? I mean, I'd rather destroy my intercooler pipe than my oil pan in the event that I hit something big, but I'm just wondering what that pipe is made of...looks like plastic in the pics.

EVONELLY

TDI
2006 Touareg TDI
Hi v8volvo

The lower intercoller pipe is actually a solid steel pipe that bolts to the front of the frame rails. On each side there are three very large bolts holding it on. The pipe acts as a cross member and is just as strong as your metal frame rail.

We designed this skid plate hand in hand with VW mechanics who see thousands of these cars each year. We have picked the best location possible for mounting the skid plate.

It was very inportant to have strengthening side walls on the skid plate as seen in the next picture to eliminate any deformation of the skid plate from impacts. The side walls act like walls on a house. If you only have one wall on a house it will have a certain amount of strength. When you join two more walls to it, it makes the skid plate very strong.:eek:

I hope this answers your questions.

v8volvo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Yep, great, thanks. I'll plan to buy and install one when I get home from school in May, looks like a necessary and well-thought-out modification.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
For 05.5 or 2006 Jetta ??

How long can we expect to wait before you have one of these great looking plates available for the new body Jetta / Jetta TDI?

Thanks
Deming

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
deming said:
How long can we expect to wait before you have one of these great looking plates available for the new body Jetta / Jetta TDI?

Thanks
Deming
Hopefully not as long as we had to wait for him to make one for the B5/B5.5 Passats:p

BTW, mine is scheduled to arrive on April 4th :D :D :D