The NARFmobile, My 2001 Golf TDI

Which words in raised white letter for my tire sidewalls? See post #220 for pictures

• NARFATOMIC BLASTOMIC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NARFATOMIC BLASTOMATIC

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • NARFOMATIC ATOMIC BLAST

• NARF ATOMIC BLAST

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • NARF BLAST

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • NARFBLAST ATOMIC

• NARFOMATIC ATOMIC BLAST

• NARFATOMIC ATOMICBLAST

• NARF ATOMIC BLASTOMATIC

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • EPIC FACEPALM

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Goodbye for now old friend, please enjoy the new parking spot in the back yard and the rest you have earned. For the past twelve years and five hundred thousand kilometers we have been a team.

At first it was just the two of us, then I got married and you came with us on our honeymoon. Soon after that we got a big dog that used to love to put his hind feet in the back seat, his front paws on the center arm rest and his head out the sunroof.

Then there was that time you waited all night in a hospital parking lot and the next day you brought home a little baby girl. A year later we took 37 weeks off work to care for her and we drove to the park and to music classes, and to Daddy and toddler gym time. We went back to work but soon learned another baby was coming. You brought him home from the hospital too. We took another leave from work and did all the Daddy and toddler things over again plus drove the bigger one to school for the first time. We became very close as we learned how to repair almost every part of you.

Just before the third baby was due your clutch was wearing out and we planned your retirement. We kept grinding away at that old throw-out-bearing and clutch until one day on the way to school we couldn't shift gears any more and we had to tow you home. You waited in the driveway while the new car brought our third baby home. I am sorry you could not have been there, I was thinking about you on the way to the hospital in the new car.

After all that we had been though, and all the things we had learned about life and auto-mechanics together, I felt confident we could spend the money to give you one more chance. I ordered the parts and we learned how to remove your transmission and replace everything between it and your engine. I will never forget that first drive after you had been parked for two months. We went back to work again, and took time off work again. This time we drove the two older kids to school with the baby in the middle of your back seat. I was so proud of the way you carried all your passengers and cargo. You also towed most of our belongings from our old house to our new house just outside the city.

When I quit my job to stay home with the kids full time I figured we would have more time to spend together. I really do enjoy spending time maintaining your wear items and fixing all of your little issues. The more I thought about it however, the more we could not longer justify paying insurance on three cars for two drivers. I know you could save the extra $1200 a year in just fuel savings when we were driving for work; but now we drive less. It was really nice having the spare the car so that we could take our time and do all of your repairs at home. I wish I could drive you forever but I hope you understand that our family needs a more reliable car right now. I want you to know this was not an easy decision. I really hope you like the new parking spot in the back yard. I will visit you often. Maybe when the kids are grown up we can be together again.

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
Too bad you have to park her Paul. I hope she does not stay under those trees though as you will have nothing to come back to after all the rust and other critters have their way with her. Maybe when all your kids are in school you will have more time to work on her to keep her fresh. Nothing major, just small tinkerings. My 79 Trans Am has been sitting for nearly 10 years now, it is going to take a complete overhaul of body and soul for that poor car. All it needed before was paint and interior. Don't let this happen to your love.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
Isn't it sad too see it by itself in the back yard now, you were on your way to 600k km but now it just sits there :(

I think you'll be driving it again in less than a year!

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Too bad you have to park her Paul. I hope she does not stay under those trees though as you will have nothing to come back to after all the rust and other critters have their way with her.
Yeah I am still not sure of how to keep the critters out other than checking in often and scaring them away and making sure there are no nests and starting the engine once in a while and maybe driving it a few hundred feet around the property. As far as rust the only thing I can see rusting up is the brake rotors, everything else I have taken care of with paint, undercoating, or rustproofing spray. If there is nothing to come back to in 10 years no big loss, just thought it would be fun to change the brakes, fluids, timing belt and drive again a decade later.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Utility trailer update: three winters later the single coat of tremclad did not hold up, but I think the rust matches the aging wood for that rat rod look. I took the VW wheels off so as not to remind myself of the car I just parked, and also because the steel wheels match the rusty black trailer frame.

Here is a video walk-around:
http://youtu.be/80tdzBesauw

Last edited:

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Yeah I am still not sure of how to keep the critters out ...
We have packrats and other rodents...The best thing I have found is low voltage lighting placed under the vehicles. Think "malibu lights". Home depot has the LED versions exclusively.

Tony

hardint

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 gl
Cool thread with great pictures,You have given a lot of time to your car and documented well. Awesome !!!

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I'm starting to feel it coming with my 2005. The wife wants a small SUV like a Q5 and we just got the Beetle to replace her Jetta. When it happens we will have 3 cars for two drivers also.

The interior panels are starting to deteriorate and I have been playing with the idea of rally or SCCA on the weekends. But I feel your pain as she has been a true work horse and member of the family.

Just keep up the storage maintenance and she will be ready when the kids start to drive.

Jason

hardint

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 gl
I have a story slightly similar , I snagged her on Christmas day ebay auction back in 2003 with a lowly 120000 on her from Texas,200000 miles later on a stormy night a tree blew down in front of us and we sled into it, I get out and check, hood, headlight, fenders,windshield, ect, now fluids dripping covered in leaves like cammo, I get back in drive on to work,drive 40 miles home,and 25 to body shop for insurance adjusters which they deemed totaled, I drive her back home and park her in my shop and buy it back from Insurance for $600 thinking I might repair or transplant the TDI into something else,Ranger,Sport Trac,Mustang, but i find another 2000 with 85000 on it 50 miles from home at a good price so Blackie just rest now, I drive it occasionally for ****'s and giggles not sure what I'll do , but a trusty, reliable, tough ,economical, and with a good tune pretty fast car that I towed ,a Goldwing 1500 from Florida to Kentucky with and a John Deere Gator with cab from Wisconsin to Ky with, so a work horse it was also that we shared many hours together, more than any other car I've owned. Just my little TDI story of fate and Love .

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Thanks for the advice and empathy everyone!

First Summer / Fall / Winter in storage update:

Here is a picture from last summer a couple of months after I parked the car I pulled it out and washed it. My wife was having about 20 people over for a BBQ and they would be parking on the lawn so I figured the VW could welcome the other cars and show them were to park.

Since then I found a closer place to park it behind the sheds. I start it at least once a month and run it up and down the driveway to take out garbage, and sometimes half way down the road and back.

In the fall I used it to move stuff out of the seasonal shed and get ready for winter.

Recently we had an ice storm and power outage that lasted 24 hours. The Volkswagen was stuck out behind the sheds, which was sad, because I needed an engine to recharge the battery on my 3000 watt inverter for backup power.

Since then I have made sure to keep the snow and ice cleaned out around the VW and make sure I can pull it up near the house in case I need it for backup power. Here is a picture from today, I moved it from the right side of the drive shed where it was sitting for a few weeks, and I cleaned the snow there so I can put it back later.

So far there have been no rodents anywhere; I think that is partly due to the faint Diesel smell that is in all the fabric which I think also acts as an anti-microbial/anti-fungal because the car still smells exactly the same as when I remember whenever I get in. Also I vacuumed it really well last summer and got all the cheerios out.

Haven't had to top off the fuel or the oil. I will change the oil this summer because it has 9000km and was changed last February at at 500,000km. Will see how long the Diesel fuel in the tank lasts... the fuel is almost a year old and it still fires up okay even in the cold. The only way the tank might get drained far enough to get refreshed is if we had a power outage that lasted a few days and I ran the TDI and 3000W inverter constantly. The fuel filter only has 16,000km on it so I can't see changing the fuel filter unless it clogs or I suspect a fuel related problem.

In conclusion I think this car will be okay if I keep finding reasons to check it and start it up and move it.

cronson7

TDI
Mk4 golf
hey, just wondered what the right quality is like mate with the lift? im looking to lift mine but want to keep the ride soft and not to harsh

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
hey, just wondered what the right quality is like mate with the lift? im looking to lift mine but want to keep the ride soft and not to harsh
Hi, sorry for the late reply, I'm not sure how the ride compares to stock - it has been so long since the car was stock, probably more firm with the new shocks and harder springs but the stock ride was way too soft for my liking anyway. What I know for sure is that with "air helper springs" in the ride was harsh, but I have since put Jetta Wagon springs in the rear.

For what it is worth, in my opinion, changing the ride height will have no effect on ride quality if done using lifting blocks, since the rest of the suspension is unchanged, and depending who you ask, raising the Mk4 chassis one inch actually improves geometry and handling which more than offsets the detrimental effect of raising the center of gravity. But that is discussed in detail elsewhere... :)

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Update: After one year and four months in storage...

...there was a musty smell, and mold in weird places, and a couple of small mouse nests under the folded back seats.

So I did a thorough vacuuming today, and pulled out all of the floor mats (which were damp). Turns out the sun roof drains may have been clogged, I know, there is is fix for that, I did it today.

There may be storage shed arriving before winter, after we get a neighbor's new shed build he has promised me his temporary one. Will obviously post pictures when that arrives. :)

Here are a couple of pictures (click to enlarge) and a fun video from today:

Video:

0:52
Dance Party in the old VW

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
So what are the plans for this golf? Why is it hanging around and not being used?
Good question! At some point we had our fourth child and I decided to become a stay at home dad and also take care of my nephew. I needed a car that seats at least six every day and I could not justify $1200 a year for insurance on an extra car that only seats five. I would love to drive the TDI again some day, just not yet. Also, the Volkswagen needs so much constant maintenance and has so many miles that is it pretty much worthless to anyone else.

Here is a picture of the fourth kid and my current daily driver:

Last edited:

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Talked myself out of putting the Volkswagen back on the road with insurance and registration today. That was a close one. My wife has said that $100 a month is okay for a hobby that I really enjoy, considering that I don't spend money on television or movies or any other entertainment really, but I still can't justify it knowing that it is going to cost more than that, and winter is coming, and I am really enjoying the parking spot for my new van (Honda Odyssey) in the two car garage beside my wife's car (the Kia Forte 5 which originally replaced the Golf).

Maybe when my neighbour finishes their new shed and gives me their temporary shed (enclosed vinyl with roll up door) then I can set up a place to work on the Golf and I will insure and register it again.

One of the things that helped me talk myself out of putting the Volkswagen back on the road was going back and reading this thread. I read from where I re-did the exhaust up until where I retired the car from service. So many good times but also so much time and space needed. It was fun, but right now I have got kids and property maintenance that just about consume all my time.

The other thing is that I don't want to do is to split my time between the Volkswagen and the new van. It would be neat to park the new van all winter but I need it four days a week on the afternoons when I am watching my nephew and my two younger ones and have to pick the two older ones up from school (if you do the math that is one kid too many to fit in the Golf).

I have to keep reminding myself that there are too many reasons not to drive the Volkswagen.

I do have just enough time to occasionally clean and modify the new van, so I started a thread on Odyclub.com so that I can have a place to post pictures.
Here is the link: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/53-in...eed-shop-day-care-s-shop-van.html#post1190434

Here is another picture of the new van, after showing it some attention:

Last edited:

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
I put a brand new battery in the Volkswagen today! My first Absorbed Glass Matt (AGM) battery too! I did a whole bunch of research and found that an AGM battery would be perfect for a car that sits out in the cold, only does short trips, and completely discharges its battery occasionally.

LOL, WHAT? This guys sounds crazy, he just paid 50% extra for a battery for a car he doesn't drive and if you look at the pictures he didn't even get the right size?!?

Let me explain some more.

I had killed the Group 94R (OEM Size) battery that was in the TDI

I had a Group 47 battery (wrong size, I know, it was sold to me by an autoparts store before I knew better) but it had been abused and was very weak.

I plan on using the Volkswagen as a backup generator by connecting it to a 3000 Watt inverter. I already have had great success using this setup to power a 4.5 HP shop vac that can be used as a back up sump pump. I looked into getting the biggest possible deep cycle marine battery that would fit on the TDI's battery tray, but then I did so more research and found that and AGM automotive battery would make more sense because it is designed to provide cranking amps yet would withstand greater levels of discharge and would recharge faster than a regular flooded lead acid battery. Besides, I would not be using the inverter without the engine running so I don't need a deep cycle battery.

Still, the price of a new battery for an old car that might only get used as a backup generator didn't make sense, until, I had EUREKA moment! I could justify the price of a really nice battery if it would also fit our new Honda Odyssey! The Honda takes a Group 24F battery that is slightly undersized for the TDI but about the same size at the Group 47 battery that I was sold years ago. Here is a comparison I cut and pasted together, note how much larger the 94R battery is:

Today I went out and bought this fresh new battery for my favorite toy (Group 24F in foreground, Group 47 behind and the Group 94R was not available for this picture because it had already been returned for the $20 core charge)

There is a bunch of extra space in the battery box, space for 20 more amp hours, oh well, this is a compromise for a battery that can serve duties in our Honda at a moments notice. Another important thing is that the factory VW hold down clip actually works here:

The 24F is a bit taller than the 47 and 94R, and the plastic "fuse holder bridge" is under tension, but it is held down by its own clips:

There is room to tuck the CTEK charger down the passenger side of the battery, but for now I have just set it where I can see the eight stage charge indicator. Maybe in the future I will use the CTEK ring terminal adapter and zip tie the charger to the inside of the battery box and re-install the battery cover. For now, I just have the clamps and everything out in the open, but protected from rain and snow under the hood. I found out the hard way that CTEK chargers (and others) are "weather resistant" but not "water proof" so they need some protection.

I really enjoy just standing back and looking at the engine bay after a fun job like this, so many good times... it would be nice to clean it one day.

Almost forgot to mention, cranked the engine with the new battery and it really jumped to life. Nothing like a new battery after beating on a tired old battery for too long.

Last edited:

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Great post! PS, I use the same charger.

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Concur. In retrospect, wish they had a 12/6v option for the neighbors with 6v batteries.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
EXHAUST UPGRADE!

I was at my favorite store the other day...

...when I spotted a really nice exhaust tip, with a flow thru muffler attached, and it was only $40 so I figured, why not?

It turns out that this flow thru muffler really sweetens the sound of the exhaust that otherwise was only passing thru the turbo and the catalytic converter. It also happened to fit really nicely over the old exhaust tip which allowed me to test it on and off the exhaust live tonight during a garbage run to end of the driveway. Really excited about mounting this thing properly in the spring.

This item is listed on Princess Auto's web site, link here: http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/automotive-muffler/A-p8596025e

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
STARTER REPAIRED!

One Tuesday night before garbage day this winter, not sure how many weeks ago, the old girl did not start; it seemed like a starter issue. It has been one of the coldest winters on record in the Southern part of the province of Ontario in Canada this year, and I had the luxury of waiting until the temperature got above zero before investigating the starter issue. Turns out the little wire that connects the starter solenoid to the starter motor had rotted off. I had a ring terminal and some heavy gauge wire on hand so that part was easy. The only time consuming part was finding replacements for a broken solenoid bolt and a rusted nut at the local hardware store.

Here are some pictures from the glorious above-freezing day we had today:

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
UPDATE: BACK ON THE ROAD WEEKEND DAY 1 of 3 (FRIDAY)

After months of careful consideration, my wife and I agreed that I need a hobby. The insurance was up for renewal on the Kia Forte and the Honda Odyssey so I went ahead and got a couple of different quotes and found I could add the Volkswagen to our policy for less than I thought. Friday morning I took my temporary insurance slip to the Ministry of Transportation office and received a sticker that made me the happiest of any sticker ever:

I was so excited to go for a drive that I arrived in Dundas a full 20 minutes early to pick my daughter up from half day kindergarten. I had just enough time to drive up the escarpment to one of our (the car and mine's) favorite spots:

The car went into limp mode a few times due to over-boost due to sticky vanes (had the VNT actuator off and checked a few weeks ago). We drove from Dundas to Ancaster on the twisty "Old Dundas Road" to get to Costco. Elizabeth, who is three years old, told me she really likes the twisty roads. Evan, who is 18 months old, really like the turbo "choo-choo" sound every time I shifted gears, which was really loud, because apparently my "temporary" flex pipe repair from a few years ago had come loose:

After picking the older two (Emily and Ethan) up from school I took all four kids to my parents house in Burlington. I had not told my parents I was putting the Volkswagen back on the road and when I pulled into their driveway my Dad happened to be outside. The look of utter disgust on his face was priceless. After staring at car as if it was literally a giant turd I had just dropped on his property, he said, "Why are you driving that thing, so that you can get stuck and have to call a tow truck?" I just laughed. My Mom was less disgusted and more concerned. I watched my mom climb the steps putting both feet on a step before leading off again with her good knee, so I asked, with due concern, "When are you going to get your other knee replaced?" She said something like, "As long as it still moves I will keep using it." I agreed, "The same goes for the Volkswagen."

As soon as I got home and got the kids to bed I was out to the garage to fix the exhaust. I quickly realized that the previous fix had come up short and the quickest temporary fix (only temporary, unless it works) would be to weld a small extension on to the flex pipe and clamp it back in to place again:

I happened to have piece of pipe of the exact same diameter as the flex pipe and with a perfect slight bend in it to slip over the piece of down pipe still stuck to turbo. It took a couple of hours with all the test fitting and tack welding and trimming before final welding and fitting but it turns out I really love exhaust work. I love welding on the exhaust system so much that I plan on adding a flow thru muffler and also taking the down pipe off and welding it into a solid piece.

Anyway, I took my temporary-clamped-in flex pipe fix for a test drive and it was much quieter. Now I could mostly just hear a constant loud rattle coming from the serpentine belt area that was really bothering me but It was after midnight and I was exhausted (no pun intended) so I put my tools away and took a shower. I put on my pajamas but did not go to bed. The tires on the Volkswagen were bothering me, they were worn and one of them had a flat spot from pulling the hand brake at high speeds before storing the car two years ago. I shopped for tires online for at least an hour before deciding I had better sleep on it.

Last edited:

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
UPDATE: BACK ON THE ROAD WEEKEND DAY 2 of 3 (SATURDAY)

Saturday morning, first thing after breakfast, I went out side and found two nice smooth and balanced tires, though with considerably less tread, to fit on the front of the car. One was on the utility trailer and one was in the spare tire well. They are matching Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring in the stock size 195/65R15. The ride was much smoother so now I can try not to think about tires until winter, or until I fix all all the other issues, if the car lasts that long! I have in mind a set of Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring tires in a size I have not tried yet: 215/65R15. I have ruled out getting cheap ugly tires, and I also have ruled out getting expensive off road tires so I think the Uniroyals should balance good looks from a square profile with economy and longevity and good all season grip. For a long time I was pining for some BFGoodrich All Terrain tires with raised solid white lettering, but then I found http://www.tredwearletters.com/ so this could get interesting.

Anyway, I must try to stop thinking about tires for the Volkswagen, for now.

Here is how the car sits now:

Rear Tires: 205/70R15 Motomaster SE2
Rear Springs: OEM Jetta Wagon + 1" spacers

Front Tires: 195/65R15 Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring
Front Springs: Moog VR6 + 1" spacers + 1cm spacers

Last edited:

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
UPDATE: BACK ON THE ROAD WEEKEND DAY 3 of 3 (SUNDAY)

Today was the first really nice warm sunny day this spring. I parked the Volkswagen in the sun to investigate the constant rattle from the serpentine belt area. It turned out to be the AC compressor clutch!

I made a short video of the loose AC clutch before I cut the offending pieces off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQ-UvtOxNU

It has been an epic first three days back, it actually felt more like a week and I even told someone that it had been a week and believed it myself but when I sat down to post this I realized that it has only been three days back on the road. I am looking forward to more nights of working on this car and days enjoying driving it.

To end a perfect weekend, on the way home the low fuel light came on and I filled the tank using the finger fuel mod. The coolest thing was that I still had two 11mil blue nitrile gloves in the door from the last time I had filled it up two years ago.

Last edited: