The mysterious 'blob' in my sealed diesel container...

mydeathbynapalm

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2002, Reflex Silver
So I dumped in a 5 gallon container of diesel stored since late Oct... Said container was sealed, sitting in the same dark location and otherwise undisturbed until I opened it to put in the Golf. I usually don't put every last drop in just as there always seems to be flecks of this and that; and sure enough, there was a nice mixed colored 'blob' for lack of better description. The container had B100 in it over the summer, but I rinsed it out afterward with some alcohol.

I'm assuming this 'blob' is some sort of bacteria? Possibly leftover from the BioD, or does reg diesel support growth?

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
mydeathbynapalm said:
(snip) does reg diesel support growth?
__. Regular D2 doesn't support growth but the interface between free water and diesel is a prime breeding ground for the growth of algae. The algae won't grow in the diesel alone but put water in there can be trouble.

mydeathbynapalm

Veteran Member
TDI
Somewhat disconcerting... I'm pretty certain I only used alcohol to rinse...and even then I left the container open to dry(inside) for several days. Fuel was from a Hess along I-81. Condensation???

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Diesel has water in it, just in varying amounts.

Did you use a stabilizing additive or anti-microbial?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
mydeathbynapalm said:
Short answer...no. Guessing that Powerservice won't cut it?:cool:
The winter flavor *should* take care of water. Maybe just their "911" product does.

mydeathbynapalm

Veteran Member
TDI
Winter blend added in front of what I did pour from the container in question.(before noticing the blob of algae) Looks like I'll go ahead and have a look at the other containers I have and see if there's any algae...since one of them is also from late Oct.(Other 2 are from within a month...different station)

Taken from the PS website regarding the Winter DK:
"Disperses water in diesel fuel"
The reg DK doesn't state above, but claims "Stabilizing stored fuel" while the Winter DK doesn't.

Anyway...As long as the Golf keeps sputtering along ;)

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
In that case stabilize might mean "going bad" vs. algae growth.

PS white encapsulates a certain amount of water, maybe there was an excess?

mydeathbynapalm

Veteran Member
TDI
Perhaps... I should have been a little more clear...I poured the White PS (DK) directly into the car prior to the 5gal container.(so not 2.5 months ago) Other containers currently (until I get my a$$ outside to the garage to open them up...a little chilly) are untreated.

If I can find a biocide...may try it. PS markets their brand. This algae is a first for me in the years I've stored fuel. In the brief reading I did after a search...most just say to stick with a stabilizer. But I don't 'have' to store...so maybe that's a cheaper alternative vs buying .75gal @ ~$16 for the regular PS DK. ;)

cvalentine

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf, 2014 328d
Unless it says biocide on the additive, it probably won't kill whatever made it into the tank. FWIW, it algae isn't the only bug that lives in diesel, and while the oil-water interface is where almost all activity occurs, some could happen even if free water isn't present. My knowledge is mostly limited to Microbial Influenced Corrosion in tanks, and not the fuel in the tanks :)

mydeathbynapalm

Veteran Member
TDI
Since I'm not worried that any large visible clumps of algae made it into my car's tank...not too concerned. Don't shake up the container prior to dumping into the car, and towards the end I pull the nozzle out/off to check for any sediment/etc. That is when I saw the algae. All my containers are HDPE 2 plastic and get hit with no direct sunlight; but I plan on moving them to an even darker corner of the garage.

cp

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Beetle
How cold was it? I always thought alga in diesel appeared to be black and not in big solid clumps, more like mold you see in a liquid food.

Keith_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta MT
mydeathbynapalm said:
Somewhat disconcerting... I'm pretty certain I only used alcohol to rinse...and even then I left the container open to dry(inside) for several days. Fuel was from a Hess along I-81. Condensation???
Yes. Unless the container was hermetically sealed, it can get air which has water vapor.

And it isn't algae but bacteria.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Eh... I was trying to fail at my post, so I guess I succeeded? :D

I missed that simple sentence, thinking more of algae and mold

mydeathbynapalm

Veteran Member
TDI
Thought he thread died ;) Fuel wasn't gelled.(I did pour it into my tank!) No other solids present. Algae/bacteria...whatever...it was a solid rubbery mass(black and slimy). No thermometer in the garage, but during the winter...decently warmer(+10-15) vs outside ambient even without heat.

cp

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Beetle
(+10-15), if that is +10F to -15F is plenty cold for it to have gelled. You could find out by warming it up.

nutdriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2006 (Previously NB 2000)
I think this is a classic case of fuel that has organic growth and not gelled fuel. I have experienced this with stored fuel. I plan to add a biocide in the future to any fuel that I am storing. After seeing the blob It is easy to see why this would plug a filter.

mydeathbynapalm

Veteran Member
TDI
Fuel was not gelled! lol DC area...no subzero temps here. Chances are the Late Oct fuel was winterized? Regardless, this thing in the fuel was some sort of growth... If I can pick up a fuel biocide...I will...