The lower intake pipe is deteriorated, and I need one!

motorcritter

TDI
‘97 Jetta Mk3
the lower intake pipe on my ‘97 Jetta has been on its way out, for a while. It has cracks and deterioration that don’t look like they are repairable. VW has discontinued the part (1H0129654R), and it seems no one in Europe has them, or will ship one here. Any suggestions or decent used/NOS item, from the forum? Thanks in advance.

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
I, too am looking for a suitable replacement. Realistically, a silicone elbow tube is totally serviceable (would just require cutting down the existing turbo intake pipe and glomming it on the end between it and the turbo. Mine is in good enough condition that I've just been procrastinating, but it does need to be done, however, I have no idea what dimensions would fit.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I have one. I did some modification to it to solve the stupid ears that won't work now. uses a silicone coupler. I shan't be needing it ever again.
Will bolt directly on to the factory turbo.
Comes with everything you see. PM me for pricing. Shipping would probably be a bit much but its light and not that big!

h.ubk

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI with 1Z Engine
I bought one from the VW classic center in Germany. As stated, they will not ship to the US, but I found a VW dealer in Canada that ordered from them regularly and was able to send it to me.

The Canada dealer was at www.vwvictoria.com.

h.ubk

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
The part number for some of the euro versions are different, something (I think) to do with interference with the EGR cooler maybe? I recall someone ordering one with a slightly different number but never hearing back as to whether it fit fine or not. Need to be looking into this as these pieces are getting fewer and far between now.

I would look into some plastic welding or some method of reinforcing the lower section where it attaches at the turbo.

Steve

h.ubk

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI with 1Z Engine
It has to do with glow plugs for the coolant IIRC. When I talked with VW classic parts, we exchanged several e-mails to make sure I was getting the right one.

h.ubk

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
It has to do with glow plugs for the coolant IIRC. When I talked with VW classic parts, we exchanged several e-mails to make sure I was getting the right one.

h.ubk
I'm curious about that, after all the intake tube is on the opposite side of the engine from the coolant GP's.

Steve