The Light truck market

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The 2.8 Duramax and 3.0 power stroke have been around a long time overseas already. The power stroke is changed a bit, but it has been made by Ford for land rover applications for some years, the first ones had big problems with failing oil pumps and breaking crankshafts, if you look up the discovery 4 tdv6 that's what the engine was, but I understand that Ford changed the crankshaft and a few other things to make the one they have now.
Personally I kinda wish they put the 3.2 i-5 engine in the pickups, I've heard it was pretty good.
The 2.8 Duramax has been used in the isuzu kb280dt overseas for years. I used to drive one of the older ones, and it was a tough engine and ran great!
Yes and no. Even if the engine is based on a previous design, they are all screwed up having to comply with our emmissions regualtions and dealing with our crappy fuel. Just look at how the VW 2l diesels faired in North America versus the rest of the world.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I would say they did just the same, it is just that our gov't butthurt them enough they stopped selling them here altogether. You can still (at least for now) buy new VAG diesels in Europe. The only thing preventing Volkswagen from selling them here is Volkswagen.

This is what sucks: fuel prices will be trending up over the next few years, and we've allowed ourselves to be legislated into fewer and fewer choices for economic vehicles to purchase. I will of course not be worried, as I will still be driving my economic choices from decades ago, but the whining over fuel price increases has already begun for many shortsighted people.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Based on the severity of the penalties it would seem that US courts were harder on a foreign company than a domestic one (despite Chrysler's international ownership(s)). And the emissions fix on the Ecodiesel isn't much, if any, better than the one on VWs.

I agree that it sucks that we aren't going to see more diesels. However, I'm living proof that given a choice between old and new, I'd pick old. That's why my MKVII sits while I drive my ALHs daily.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
rollin in my two point oh, panoramic back so my hair can blow
This is what sucks: fuel prices will be trending up over the next few years, and we've allowed ourselves to be legislated into fewer and fewer choices for economic vehicles to purchase. I will of course not be worried, as I will still be driving my economic choices from decades ago, but the whining over fuel price increases has already begun for many shortsighted people.
This is exactly the market effect I was talking about in the guy's thread asking about value of his used 13 manual wagon he is thinking about selling. I feel like this same effect will start creeping into used TDI values. Sure the 1.4t gasser gets 37hwy, and other brands do similar economy, but the guy's 13 wagon can tow 2000+ pounds legally (probably more safely if not legally) depending on region. Just a hunch, but imo people will start looking to alternates for affordable hauling when market conditions dictate they do so.