The Holy Grail: 2003 Jetta Wagon GLS 5-speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
-Whitey: 2000 Jetta GLS, Red: 2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
If you have seen one of us Trolls in real life, you have seen us all... :D :D :D

Don't forget, sometimes we post under our alter ego names like "YoungHotChick4U" :D :D :D

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
Allrighty now, let's Analyse this situation here. I'll start with my assessment and then you guys can chime with follow-up if you wish.

TomTDI posts his vehicle for sale, right? I, who does this for a living and not as a hobby swoops in and offers full pop without hesitation. Shortly thereafter, a couple teed off member's post negative posts towards me for doing so (In other words, I didn't start this BS). One member already has TDI's and most likely didn't need this vehicle but yet he had to post that offensive and uninformed remark. The other member was just teed off because he thought he lost the chance to get that wagon due to someone acting B4 him and therefore he continues to attack because he thought he has more of a right to the vehicle than someone who was not only first but, someone who does this for a livelihood. My reaction to both of these member's posts was a bit harsh on the surface but, there was a bit of comedy inserted as well. Example: Of course you guys would never buy a TDI form me and I know it. And if I wasn't in the picture, I too would buy from Steve Ahl in Ukiah so, we do agree on that one at least. My assessment of the member that already has TDI's is he just livid and can't stand the fact that someone deals exclusively in TDI's as a business and has no clue to the costs of doing that business and therefore automatically thinks gouging is in play but, I really think this person is just envy with jealousy. The other member that's teed off must also realize that I do this for a living (7 years running) and therefore needs to swoop in B4 I do as well as have his money ready, perform due diligence, and don't fence sit or lookey loo. In other words this member needs to beat me at my own game because I have provided this forum with every single point to point process on how to do this without getting porked yet, there are still those few here that despise everything I do here whether right, wrong, or indifferent and it's all due to jealousy and/or misguided judgment. Even though I have a very successful business and sell to many club member's nationwide, my service is not for everyone. There are many here who have the skills to buy intelligently thanks to our member's many years of input. It's those few who shoot from the hip with baseless BS without knowing the real facts that I will fight to the end and will continue doing so. Some of you may have noticed that I have been dealing with this for a couple solid years now and you may also realize that I generally do not start the BS, I just finish it;). Later! BTW, I did a spell check on analyse and the spell checker came up with analise. Thought you might want to know.

Last edited:

tpitt1946

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2004 Silver
Harvieux said:
Allrighty now, let's Analise this situation here. I'll start with my assessment and then you guys can chime with follow-up if you wish.

TomTDI posts his vehicle for sale, right? I, who does this for a living and not as a hobby swoops in and offers full pop without hesitation. Shortly thereafter, a couple teed off member's post negative posts towards me for doing so (In other words, I didn't start this BS). One member already has TDI's and most likely didn't need this vehicle but yet he had to post that offensive and uninformed remark. The other member was just teed off because he thought he lost the chance to get that wagon due to someone acting B4 him and therefore he continues to attack because he thought he has more of a right to the vehicle than someone who was not only first but, someone who does this for a livelihood. My reaction to both of these member's posts was a bit harsh on the surface but, there was a bit of comedy inserted as well. Example: Of course you guys would never buy a TDI form me and I know it. And if I wasn't in the picture, I too would buy from Steve Ahl in Ukiah so, we do agree on that one at least. My assessment of the member that already has TDI's is he just livid and can't stand the fact that someone deals exclusively in TDI's as a business and has no clue to the costs of doing that business and therefore automatically thinks gouging is in play but, I really think this person is just envy with jealousy. The other member that's teed off must also realize that I do this for a living (7 years running) and therefore needs to swoop in B4 I do as well as have his money ready, perform due diligence, and don't fence sit or lookey loo. In other words this member needs to beat me at my own game because I have provided this forum with every single point to point process on how to do this without getting porked yet, there are still those few here that despise everything I do here whether right, wrong, or indifferent and it's all due to jealousy and/or misguided judgment. Even though I have a very successful business and sell to many club member's nationwide, my service is not for everyone. There are many here who have the skills to buy intelligently thanks to our member's many years of input. It's those few who shoot from the hip with baseless BS without knowing the real facts that I will fight to the end and will continue doing so. Some of you may have noticed that I have been dealing with this for a couple solid years now and you may also realize that I generally do not start the BS, I just finish it;). Later!
Now why should I be livid? I could care less what you do and how much money you make. My first comment was a joke, but my second one wasn't. I also run a successful business, as a side job, but I base my business on customer service, not rude comments, or trying to downgrade my competition. In fact one of them and I combined our buying power even though we don't do any work together. And no it isn't selling vehicles. Think before you talk, it will go a lot farther for respect from any of us. As far as I'm concerned this is over for me and I hold no animosity. (sp) Group hug everyone.:D :D

funkshun

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon, Indigo Blue, 5-speed
Due to my quick responses and locality to seller, we have been talking via pm, and I should be checking the wagon out this weekend. As long as all is well, I will purchase. I have been reading the post, and didn't want to leave you all in the dark, but also didn't want to post without a confirmation from tom.

peace
++

Harvieux

TDI
funkshun said:
Due to my quick responses and locality to seller, we have been talking via pm, and I should be checking the wagon out this weekend. As long as all is well, I will purchase. I have been reading the post, and didn't want to leave you all in the dark, but also didn't want to post without a confirmation from tom.

peace
++
Congrats on your possible aquisition and I am sure all here wish you many, many wonderful and safe miles. We all have to trust that Tom handled this matter in an ethical manner. Later!

Harvieux

TDI
nicklockard said:
If you get that wagon for one DIME less than $18,000, consider yourself EXTREMELY fortunate.

You can turn around tomorrow and pocket an easy $3,000 if so.
Nick, This is so, so ture but, what sort of bashing might that person have to endure here for trying to make a profit? Later!

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Oops:eek: I thought better of posting that but now you blew it:p

Harv, I just HATE to see the seller screw himself out of $3,000 for nothing. I just sold my car last week. When people GIVE thier pristine wagons away, it hurts us all (sellers.)

If it sells for $15,000...oh well, I think burning the cash in a bonfire has more entertainment value personally!:D Headcheck time!:D

Harvieux

TDI
tpitt1946 said:
Now why should I be livid? I could care less what you do and how much money you make. My first comment was a joke, but my second one wasn't. I also run a successful business, as a side job, but I base my business on customer service, not rude comments, or trying to downgrade my competition. In fact one of them and I combined our buying power even though we don't do any work together. And no it isn't selling vehicles. Think before you talk, it will go a lot farther for respect from any of us. As far as I'm concerned this is over for me and I hold no animosity. (sp) Group hug everyone.:D :D
OK, I accept your first post as a joke and admit that I may have overeacted in including you in the mix. I also have no problem with your second posting because I too think a heck of alot of Steve Ahl and consider him a true friend. You mention downgrading my competition. Hopefully, you're not referring to me on that, are you? If so, please enlighten me with facts. Respect? I think respect should be a two-way street, wouldn't you agree? Later!

Harvieux

TDI
nicklockard said:
Oops:eek: I thought better of posting that but now you blew it:p

Harv, I just HATE to see the seller screw himself out of $3,000 for nothing. I just sold my car last week. When people GIVE thier pristine wagons away, it hurts us all (sellers.)

If it sells for $15,000...oh well, I think burning the cash in a bonfire has more entertainment value personally!:D Headcheck time!:D
Well, it's up to the seller to know the market B4 posting at such a d!ck tease price, especially a veteran member like TomTDI. Now, it kinda makes me wonder where all the bashers were when TDI's weren't in such a frenzy and I'd purchase member's TDI's at or above the current market value when no one else here would even touch them:rolleyes:. Just part of that two-way street example. Later!

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Aaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!
My Eyes, My Eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

(good luck with your transaction TomTdi and funkshun)

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
Besides, now that you have seen me nakid, I fell like we are intimate friends? Why not help your buddy 'ole Lurk out and make a fast resale? :confused:

Naranja

Harview bought my Jetta , and picked it up last week. It couldn't have been a smoother transaction. Two days after he said "I'll take it", I got a certified check, it cleared my bank pronto, and he picked up the car himself. He also bought my wife and I a nice lunch.

It sounds like this wagon was a steal but I bet the seller is getting substantially more than he would get at CarMax or for a trade in. And he still gets to deal with a professional he can trust (Harview has lots of positive feedback here).

I'll give Leonard an A+ as a buyer and add that he's a nice guy who knows a thing or two about Thai cooking as well as TDI's.

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
Intech said:
I did about 80k-85k a year.
that is rediculous. no matter how efficient your car is, that's just absurd. i'm glad you no longer drive that far.

btw, why does everyone love the Jetta Wagon? does it have something that makes it extremely desirable, beyond the obvious large cargo capacity?

Last edited:

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
MrErlo said:
btw, why does everyone love the Jetta Wagon? does it have something that makes it extremely desirable, beyond the obvious large cargo capacity?
The wagon is a bit of a phallic symbol... no different than an obelisk like the Washington monument. So why do I want a car that looks like a male appendage? I don't, my wife does. She wears the pants and that's how it is in my house. :eek:

Besides, I was hoping that she would think about me when she is driving it so far from home... :p

tpitt1946

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2004 Silver
LurkerMike said:
The wagon is a bit of a phallic symbol... no different than an obelisk like the Washington monument. So why do I want a car that looks like a male appendage? I don't, my wife does. She wears the pants and that's how it is in my house. :eek:

Besides, I was hoping that she would think about me when she is driving it so far from home... :p
Darn, I'm the one that wanted wagons, but after all I am from Calif.:D Actually I haul a lot of things with mine though.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
Naranja said:
Harview bought my Jetta , and picked it up last week. It couldn't have been a smoother transaction. Two days after he said "I'll take it", I got a certified check, it cleared my bank pronto, and he picked up the car himself. He also bought my wife and I a nice lunch.

It sounds like this wagon was a steal but I bet the seller is getting substantially more than he would get at CarMax or for a trade in. And he still gets to deal with a professional he can trust (Harview has lots of positive feedback here).

I'll give Leonard an A+ as a buyer and add that he's a nice guy who knows a thing or two about Thai cooking as well as TDI's.
That was classy of him to buy you and the wife a dinner :)

About $1,500 dollars of your money kind of classy, I'd say:D

I take it back. Watching people throw money away on the internet IS fun :D

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
MrErlo said:

Hmmmm, carrying capacity? Towing capacity? Range? Fuel economy? Leather luxury? Not a persnickety PD requiring special oil where you're never quite sure if the previous owner "experimented" with obscure, non-spec oils? Easily upgradeable? Tons of cost effective, fun, fast aftermarket mods available? Tons of potential OEM upgrades available cheaply (people over at Vortex give good stuff away!)? Tons of information about how to maintain on www.tdiclub.com? All in one package?

No, there's nothing of value there...:rolleyes: :D

It's just the holy grail of Tdi ownership, that's all...really nothing.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
Harvieux said:
Well, it's up to the seller to know the market B4 posting at such a d!ck tease price, especially a veteran member like TomTDI. Now, it kinda makes me wonder where all the bashers were when TDI's weren't in such a frenzy and I'd purchase member's TDI's at or above the current market value when no one else here would even touch them:rolleyes:. Just part of that two-way street example. Later!
I couldn't agree more!

This is entertaining as he|| :)

TomK

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2006 Black, Jetta 2009 Platinum Gray
I have been reading a lot of the posts here, and I try not to think of things in absolutes. There are plenty of shades of gray.

As for those selling their TDI's, I am really happy to see that these cars have retained a good percentage of their original value. You know, Fred's TDI Club is a pretty large online community. But the percentage of diesel owners is very small in comparison to all vehicle owners. A lot of us bought these cars when it wasn't the rage to do so...when the cost of fuel was not $3 a gallon, when there was very little publicity regarding diesels...when people looked at us as though we were crazy. In 2000 when I bought my Jetta, I used to be scolded regularly at the pumps for putting diesel fuel into my car. I am happy that those folks who had the foresight and good taste to buy a TDI are being rewarded.

For those buying a TDI for resale, this is their livelihood. If you buy a car for $12,000 and sell it for $14,000, do you put $2,000 profit in the bank? No, because there are expenses involved in running your own business, many of which people do not realize. Start with health insurance, which costs around $15,000 per year for a decent family plan. If you own your own business, you have to have liability insurance, you have to pay rent, you have utilities, advertising, cleaning and maintenance costs, vehicle procurement costs, employee costs, etc. etc. etc. You have life insurance, disability insurance, and you absolutely must put aside some money for retirement. And if you buy a car for $12,000, you have the carrying costs for that car until the moment it's sold, and have 100% of the risk on that investment if it turns out the car can't be sold at a profit. In short, I don't begrudge someone who does this for a living a reasonable profit.

For those in the market to buy a car, there are several different groups. Some have been driving gas guzzling SUV's and other highly uneconomical vehicles, and are now desperate to stop paying $90 to fill up their tanks to go 390 miles. Those folks are pretty much at the mercy of the market right now. Then there are devoted diesel owners who know all about these cars and don't want to pay more than they think the car is worth.

There are a lot of different perspectives here and I think we all have to respect where others are coming from in the buying and selling process and things might go more smootly. With prices remaining over $3 a gallon, and no 2007 TDI's, supply looks like it won't keep up with demand for a long time, and things have the potential to get really ugly here if people let that happen.

Good luck to everyone!

Naranja

nicklockard said:
That was classy of him to buy you and the wife a dinner :)

About $1,500 dollars of your money kind of classy, I'd say:D

I take it back. Watching people throw money away on the internet IS fun :D
Classy?? I didn't say that. Where were you when I offered my car here for $18,000? I got some interest from some nice folks on Fred's, but no one stepped up or even made an offer. When I advertised locally I spent time with buyers that couldn't get financing and more than a few Nigerians. CarMax offered me $13K and forget about the trade-in offers. I did my research, and I didn't want to mess with Ebay. I was ready to buy a new car and I had my money in two days. I hope Harv makes more than $1500 on my car, buying it site unseen, half way accross the country.

Harvieux

TDI
TomK said:
I have been reading a lot of the posts here, and I try not to think of things in absolutes. There are plenty of shades of gray.

As for those selling their TDI's, I am really happy to see that these cars have retained a good percentage of their original value. You know, Fred's TDI Club is a pretty large online community. But the percentage of diesel owners is very small in comparison to all vehicle owners. A lot of us bought these cars when it wasn't the rage to do so...when the cost of fuel was not $3 a gallon, when there was very little publicity regarding diesels...when people looked at us as though we were crazy. In 2000 when I bought my Jetta, I used to be scolded regularly at the pumps for putting diesel fuel into my car. I am happy that those folks who had the foresight and good taste to buy a TDI are being rewarded.

For those buying a TDI for resale, this is their livelihood. If you buy a car for $12,000 and sell it for $14,000, do you put $2,000 profit in the bank? No, because there are expenses involved in running your own business, many of which people do not realize. Start with health insurance, which costs around $15,000 per year for a decent family plan. If you own your own business, you have to have liability insurance, you have to pay rent, you have utilities, advertising, cleaning and maintenance costs, vehicle procurement costs, employee costs, etc. etc. etc. You have life insurance, disability insurance, and you absolutely must put aside some money for retirement. And if you buy a car for $12,000, you have the carrying costs for that car until the moment it's sold, and have 100% of the risk on that investment if it turns out the car can't be sold at a profit. In short, I don't begrudge someone who does this for a living a reasonable profit.

For those in the market to buy a car, there are several different groups. Some have been driving gas guzzling SUV's and other highly uneconomical vehicles, and are now desperate to stop paying $90 to fill up their tanks to go 390 miles. Those folks are pretty much at the mercy of the market right now. Then there are devoted diesel owners who know all about these cars and don't want to pay more than they think the car is worth.

There are a lot of different perspectives here and I think we all have to respect where others are coming from in the buying and selling process and things might go more smootly. With prices remaining over $3 a gallon, and no 2007 TDI's, supply looks like it won't keep up with demand for a long time, and things have the potential to get really ugly here if people let that happen.

Good luck to everyone!
Tom, Great post! Not great because it's in my favour but, great because it's very accurate/factual and exactly what I have posted here for years when attacked by the uninformed ones who have lurked and trolled here. I felt it would be useless for me to re-hash all the "costs of doing business" breakdowns again and I think it's rather refreshing to have this layed out by a third party to lend some credibility to the issue. Later!

Harvieux

TDI
Naranja said:
Classy?? I didn't say that. Where were you when I offered my car here for $18,000? I got some interest from some nice folks on Fred's, but no one stepped up or even made an offer. When I advertised locally I spent time with buyers that couldn't get financing and more than a few Nigerians. CarMax offered me $13K and forget about the trade-in offers. I did my research, and I didn't want to mess with Ebay. I was ready to buy a new car and I had my money in two days. I hope Harv makes more than $1500 on my car, buying it site unseen, half way accross the country.
Hi Steve, Yes, the pleasure was all mine in meeting you and your lovely wife. It takes two to make a transaction smooth so, you two deserve just as much credit for the end result. I've preached and preached for years here how important due dilligence is to perform B4 forking out the cash but, there are rare instances that the force shield can be lowered and I lowered mine for you based on our initial correspondance. Best wishes and I hope you stay tuned here to the club. Later!

bjmarler

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, White
I have to add my 2 cents. I dealt with Harvieux 2 yeas ago. He was willing to literally bend over backwards to make me happy as a potential customer. I was VERY happy with how he treated me. He even let me back out of a deal after we had verbally agreed on something. (I asked first. :) ) So, NONE of the accusations posted here are accurate of him as a person or as a business.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
Naranja said:
Classy?? I didn't say that. Where were you when I offered my car here for $18,000? I got some interest from some nice folks on Fred's, but no one stepped up or even made an offer. When I advertised locally I spent time with buyers that couldn't get financing and more than a few Nigerians.
Probably selling my car for it's true market value. I did post it here, but Tdi club is not a place for serious buyers. If you've been here a while you know that there are a lot of low-ballers. I had one goofball offer me $10,000 on a car I sold for $15,400! As Harv says, lots of lookey-loo'ers. I used Craigslist and Autotrader (complimentary ad). The buyer found me on Craigslist. And yes, I also got one very serious offer from a Nigerian ;) but zero genuine offers from anyone here. {I'm on everyone's ignore list?:D }

Naranja said:
CarMax offered me $13K and forget about the trade-in offers. I did my research, and I didn't want to mess with Ebay. I was ready to buy a new car and I had my money in two days. I hope Harv makes more than $1500 on my car, buying it site unseen, half way accross the country
I didn't intend to do any Harv bashing here. He has every right to make profit by providing a service (meticulous research and care with attention to the fine details, as well as having a brass set when buying cars on faith from the other side of the country sight-unseen) that a certain percentage of the population does not have time or cojones to do themselves. There is room for every type of buyer and seller. BUT, on the other hand, as a savvy buyer/seller myself, I am essentially competing against him (and every other savvy buyer/seller) for good buys and good buyers. No, I'm not going to jump in the used Tdi business...don't worry Harv :D Harv is not to blame for making a valid offer on a dicktease price! I'm just pointing out the fact that giving away $3,000 is crazy:confused: The pertinent analogy is your neighborhood. How would you feel if your neighbor with a comparable house sold it for
17% below its true market value? You'd be livid, as it would drag down the market value of your house as well.

Anyhow, I'll apologize for offending the sensitive. I'm just pointing out business facts of life. Bluntness is my way.

PS: incidentally, I priced my car for $1,500 over what most people could get financed for ; it took two weeks to sell; I rejected two genuine (had pre-approved financing lined up) high KBB offers and only accepted the offer that was in my asking price range! KBB is Bullchip, and we know it, so why settle?

Last edited:

NewJettaGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat Sedan
Boy am I glad I sold my '03 Jetta with 93K miles and a dent in the trunk lid to a guy who approached me while I fueling up and asked if I would consider selling it.

Sold it for $15k and pocketed $4,000 profit. When opportunity knocks, answer the door.

Have fun guys and play nice.

Shastapk

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
I agree with almost everyone- but isn't some point missed here??? I make a matter of fact statement- "I guess we'll see this one for $20,000.....", then get trashed with unfounded sophomoric comments....I don't get it.

I have seen some earlier posts where Harv contributed to useful how to's, but I guess I'll take his comments with a grain of salt in the future. Is it me or does this guy wear his insecurities on his sleeve?

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
Naranja said:
Where were you when I offered my car here for $18,000?
If it was a 2003 wagon then it must have been before I was in the market for one... :(

We will probably end up settling on her second choice, a NB 5-speed A4... maybe one with lots of miles on it already as the high miles KILLS the value so we won't get any resale value down the road anyway so why not get one already depreciated from high miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.