The Golf/Rabbit VI

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
I wonder if it was just a tweak of the Mk5, it sure looks similar, interior looks like a straight pull from the Eos...

09tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, 2012 Q7 TDI, 2013 PORSCHE TDI,2015 BLUETECH
is HDI better than TDI in terms of fuel economy and reliability?

donDavide said:
Will this become the HDi Club? HDiFest?

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Bayou_Flyer said:
From some angles, I feel like I am seeing some mk4 styling cues. I do like the sharper lines of this mk6 Golf, er Rabbit.
I don't have a deposit on a Sportwagen, in part because I'm not thrilled with the Corolla styling of the A5's. I may have to hold off for the MkVI Rabbit, because I like the looks of it, too.

The A5 Rabbit always reminded me of a Vogon poem: "Ode To A Small Lump Of Green Putty I Found In My Armpit One Midsummer Morning."
(it sort of looks like a lump of putty)

:D

chewy

Veteran Member
TDI
None
09tdi said:
is HDI better than TDI in terms of fuel economy and reliability?
There won't be an HDI from VW. Basically the MKVI Golf will get the common rail technology that already comes in the 2009 Jetta.

Fuel economy goes up with the new common rail diesels. Right now VW offers a special edition Bluemotion Golf that gets 52* mpg combined, while the regular 105 horsepower Golf at best gets 45* mpg. The MKVI regular Golf will get 52* mpg with the new 110 horsepower common rail engine.

*Don't even bother trying to compare these numbers to EPA estimates.

09tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks. I hope VW will sell 1.6 Rabbit TDI in 2010. any rumor about it?

chewy said:
There won't be an HDI from VW. Basically the MKVI Golf will get the common rail technology that already comes in the 2009 Jetta.

Fuel economy goes up with the new common rail diesels. Right now VW offers a special edition Bluemotion Golf that gets 52* mpg combined, while the regular 105 horsepower Golf at best gets 45* mpg. The MKVI regular Golf will get 52* mpg with the new 110 horsepower common rail engine.

*Don't even bother trying to compare these numbers to EPA estimates.

09tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
from http://www.autoblog.com/2008/08/03/volkwagen-golf-vi-unveiled-a-bit-early/

Volkswagen was planning to unveil the sixth generation of its popular Golf model this week, but the internet strikes again with a preview of the new people's hatch ahead of its official reveal. Information is limited so far and comes primarily from bloggers who don't speak the Queen's English, but from what we can tell the next-generation Golf will be larger than the current model. Indeed, it does appear to be a bit wider and maybe even lower than the current model. Might we even see some hints of the Scirocco in its design, as well? Our source indicates that the range of engines available with the Golf VI will include a 1.4L TSI, 1.8L TFSI and maybe even the 2.0L TFSI, while diesels will include the company's 1.9L and 2.0L TDI motors. A manual, automatic and DSG transmission will also be on the spec sheet. Contrary to some reports, VW of America has said that the new Golf will be sold in the U.S., though not until late next year. That's all we know for now, and it's admittedly basic stuff, so stay tuned this week for the official word from Volkswagen. Until then, scope out the new Golf VI in our gallery below.

chewy

Veteran Member
TDI
None
It's unknown if the new common rail engine for the Golf is a 1.6, I think it's probably a 2.0 as VW already made that a common rail engine (Tiguan/US Jetta) We should find out once VW releases all the specs in a couple of days.

09tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
VW need the 1.6 TDI in order to beat Prius.

chewy said:
It's unknown if the new common rail engine for the Golf is a 1.6, I think it's probably a 2.0 as VW already made that a common rail engine (Tiguan/US Jetta) We should find out once VW releases all the specs in a couple of days.

chewy

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Well, in a couple of days we'll see if VW got the 4.5 liter per 100 km figure (which is as good as any other 110 horsepower diesel) with the 2.0 TDI or some new 1.6 TDI.

Keep in mind that the EPA really doesn't care if you are using a smaller engine (if anything it will only go against such thinking) The 1.6 liter Toyota Yaris only gets 2 mpg more than the 1.8 (heavier vehicle overall) Toyota Corolla.

Rod Bearing

Veteran Member
TDI
Several
09tdi said:
VW need the 1.6 TDI in order to beat Prius.
VW won't get serious with the US market until the dollar exchange rate improves significantly, and even then, they may still not be that enthused about the US. They are selling all they build right now, worldwide, in markets that make them a lot more money per unit.

m9431

TDI
2002 golf tdi white
I'm in for one!

VW needs this in the USA. With VW getting more serious with the US Market, the Japanese brands bringing more small cars to the US, and the attention/sales that Smart and others are achieving, VW has to catch on with smaller cars. OK... HOPEFULLY they will. If either 1.6 or 2.0 CR were at the dealer now, I'd be there to put $ on one. (But, I'm still keeping my '02 Golf!) Excellent styling... go VW!

BRUSSELS BELGIAN

Old Whig
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Real Reason

Rumor has it that the REAL reason the A5 Golf is being replaced is that VW was not making enough money on it because it was "too costly" to build. TRANSLATED INTO ENGLISH, the A5 Golf is a good car; the new A6 Golf will be a cheaply constructed bucket of bolts hiding behind a pretty face. But I cannot even say that, because the new A6 Golf is FUGLY.:eek:

m9431

TDI
2002 golf tdi white
BRUSSELS BELGIAN said:
Rumor has it that the REAL reason the A5 Golf is being replaced is that VW was not making enough money on it because it was "too costly" to build. TRANSLATED INTO ENGLISH, the A5 Golf is a good car; the new A6 Golf will be a cheaply constructed bucket of bolts hiding behind a pretty face. But I cannot even say that, because the new A6 Golf is FUGLY.:eek:
You're joking, right!?

BRUSSELS BELGIAN

Old Whig
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
No

No, I'm deadly serious. VW has the bad habit of "underbuilding" cars (Passat B4) then doing "penance" by "overbuilding" the next car (B5.5). Then, when they realized they put too much quality in a car, they yo-yo back the other way and start de-contenting (Passat B6). According to this flip-flop theory of Dr. Fahrvergnuegen, the A6 Golf should be a Trash-it (get the pun). As to styling, the new A6 appears to be yet another over-creased exercize. Yet another car with "pulled" headlights and a higher beltline to reduce visibility. If I want that, I can go to a Lexus dealer. Besides, I can't wait until this new (moron) VW CEO for U.S. operations gives these cars "American" ride characteristics. Then they will be UNRELIABLE Toyotas. Cool...

Bayou_Flyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 4Door 6M
Rod Bearing said:
VW won't get serious with the US market until the dollar exchange rate improves significantly, and even then, they may still not be that enthused about the US. They are selling all they build right now, worldwide, in markets that make them a lot more money per unit.
VW should take advantage of the weak dollar and build them in the new US plant they announced a few weeks ago, rather than some "made-for-the-US-only" cars.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
As just about everyone else has a 14-1600cc CR-diesel of around 110HP for their Golf-sized cars I'd be very surprised if VW didn't go this route. PSA, Ford, Renault- Nissan, Toyota all have gone down this route.
Look at the benefits-
Smaller for packaging and control in a crash
Lighter for economy
likely to be run closer to max efficiency more of time
free-revving

I've likely mentioned this before, but economy has improved markedly going from 2.0 to 1.6 units. Peugeot have a good example- My wife drives a 306 2.0 HDI 90 and it's rated at 53.3mpd (imp) combined and 143g/km CO2.
The current 308 1.6 HDI 110 DPF is bigger and heavier, yet manages 60.1mpg and 125g; the 90 better still!

What's not to want?

vwxyzero

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan, '96 TDI Passat Wagon, & Jetta Sedan, '83 Turbodiesel (IDI)
I agree with BRUSSELS BELGIAN, IMO the new wabbit is Butt-ugly...but I'll take the Scriocco anyday, now that's nice styling...

lbhskier37

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet (2008 soon)
Rod Bearing said:
It's all about the exchange rate of the dollar.
If VW really cares about growth and its long term health, it is not too concerned about losing a little money in the US in the short term. If they really want to grow in the future, the US market is one of the biggest areas they have room to grow in. It is a lot more costly in the long run to lose market share now in the US that they have to make up later than to lose money now in order to retain the market share they have. VW will continue to lose money until they build their US plant, they know this and plan for this. Not all companies are as short sighted as some American car companies.

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
How different is the new Rabbit internally from my old '01 Golf? It's clearly the same car with different styling tweaks. I don't think it's bad looking, but it's not necessarily better looking either.

It's bad news for the US if VW is making tons of money in other markets. It means they have no reason to be serious about selling cars in the US (at least from a twisted perspective that seems characteristic of VW in the last decade or so). I don't know whether that is the case, but it certainly looks like it. If they were serious, they would be importing different classes of cars; that is, the classes of cars made by other manufacturers that are selling briskly here.